"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Salads & Salad Dressings

Old 02-26-2013, 07:27 PM   #51
Assistant Cook

Anyone have recipes for hiding veggies in food?

Old 02-26-2013, 08:48 PM   #52
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by megan87 View Post
Anyone have recipes for hiding veggies in food?
Yes. Jerry Seinfeld's wife wrote a book about fooling children into eating vegetables by hiding them in food.

Sorry if this sounds harsh, Megan, but seriously - leave your husband alone. When he finds out you're trying to deceive him into eating the way you think he should, it will not be a good situation. People here have given you plenty of ideas. If they're not working, just accept that your husband is fine the way he is. If you can't, then do some soul-searching as to why it's a problem for you.

Old 02-27-2013, 04:25 AM   #53
Master Chef

I guess I'm lucky. My husband took his diabetes seriously rather than make me the the bad guy. I have a set of measuring cups (1/2 for breakfast and lunch, a full cup for supper). Whenever I buy snack food for him I razor out the nutrition count and tape it to the inside of a cabinet door, at eye level. The thing is, it is not my problem. It is his. I've always cooked in a nutritious way (the way Mom taught me), portion control is up to him. i have shaky hands (an inherited problem) an no one in their right mind would want me administering a shot. Makes for inspiration. It probably helps that we got married later in life, after having starter marriages. He just doesn't expect me to be his mommy.

Oh? Simple answer? Have you made nege maki? Everyone loves it. I add a sliver of carrot to the green onion for some color. Whenever I make it, it is a hit. Also chop mushrooms very finely and add to ground meat in almost anything.

But I still say, pay the premiums on his life insurance (which is good advice for anyone).
Old 02-27-2013, 07:47 AM   #54
Head Chef

Give up on trying to get the salad in him I been trying for 30 years. My hubbie will eat 2 forks full I mean it really I have to make him a salad when he wants one that only contains 2 fork fulls of lettuce and of course he put about 1/4 cup of salad dresing it. I never make one for him until he request it . His only veggie he will eat is corn, But he will eat carrots and peas when i make a beef stew. Thats after he mashes everything up. Green peppers on a pizza once and awhile.
My oldest grandson doesn't eat but loves zucchini bread, so he get alot of that and sometimes i put in shreddred carrots. It passes.

So just give up - You just can't win with bullheaded people ( AKA my Hubbie ) But sometimes When I am eating my salad he will ask what dressing is that and want to taste it taking his normal 2 forks full. So like a kid stop giving it to them and then they think they are getting left out and want. Oh my hubbie does like colslaw so I make that for him alot.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:58 AM   #55
Master Chef

My kids luckily eat most veggies and fruit. Hubby is not fond of them but he's too lazy to cook anything so he just eats what's on his plate. He complains sometimes but if I say he's welcome to go make something else, he just groans and eats what he gets.
I don't have to sneak veg into food but I do sometimes just to increase our intake of fresh produce. It's hard to get your 5 a day sometimes.

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:10 PM   #56
Assistant Cook

No we talked about it and he said he would try food with veggies in them. I brought up the idea of hidding them and he was very happy with that idea. I got him to eat lentil soup with celery and carrots in it and he liked it! We are both trying to lose weight, I want to lose 40-50 and he wants to lose 20.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:11 PM   #57
Assistant Cook

Oh yea I gave up on the salad.. too much was left on the table and I hate wasting food.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:15 PM   #58
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Good deal Megan! I would just puree the veggies and add them into everything, like gravies, casseroles, stews. Some veggies will just cook away and you won't even notice them.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:33 PM   #59
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by megan87 View Post
No we talked about it and he said he would try food with veggies in them. I brought up the idea of hiding them and he was very happy with that idea. I got him to eat lentil soup with celery and carrots in it and he liked it! We are both trying to lose weight, I want to lose 40-50 and he wants to lose 20.
Well, that's a horse of a different color! The sauce for one of my favorite pot roast recipes consists of pureeing the cooked veggies and liquid after the meat is done. So just cook veggies that go with the meat dish you're making and puree them into a sauce.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:37 PM   #60
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Oh yes, much easier if Hubby is in agreement! Puree away! Meatloaf can take a lot of veggies, and whole olives are good baked into it as well.

Tags
None