"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Salads & Salad Dressings

Old 11-09-2013, 04:00 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I have no idea, but they do that a lot on this side of the pond. I really dislike it.
I imagine it is to cut the tartness of the vinegar.

Old 11-09-2013, 04:01 PM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I have grown to like slaw with a hint os sweetness. What I cannot eat is potato salad with sugar in it.
Big YUK for that. Why not put sugar in mashed, baked, and on FF.

Old 11-09-2013, 04:30 PM   #23
Executive Chef

I use sugar in my coleslaw dressing too. I really don't have a recipe, I just remember seeing my mom and/or grandmother putting sugar in a combo of mayo, evaporated milk and cider vinegar. I never knew the amounts and still do it "by guess and by golly" I sometimes have to adjust the sugar, I probably only use a couple of tsp. to a cup or so combined other ingredients. When I make coleslaw for fish tacos, I use sour cream/mayo and lime juice and yes a little sugar to offset the lime tartness. If I were making a non creamy dressing for slaw I might not use sugar :/. At any rate I don't think 8-10 gr of carb from sugar in coleslaw dressing(4 servings) would be my concern, I would be more concerned about the fat in the mayo ;)
Old 11-09-2013, 05:28 PM   #24
Head Chef

Sweden & the "Low Fat" Diet Dogma

I know nothing about Health Impact News, that was just the first link that popped up when I did my Google search. There are tons of articles about the original study out there. It's worth reading a few of them, imo. =)

We are fed by a food industry which pays no attention to health, and healed by a health industry that pays no attention to food - Wendell Berry
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 05:56 PM   #25
Executive Chef

I only scanned the article Z, it seems to echo some of what a guest doctor on the Dr. Oz program had to say recently. It was his contention that fats were actually needed for weight loss. I have been on many diets in my life and I have to agree the I found the most success with the low carb variety. That said, if you do not continue to eat this way for the rest of your life, you will eventually fail. I like a few carbs, I eat very few sweets, but I love pasta. I am not willing to live pasta or sugar free ;) Moderation .......I guess if I wanted a "low carb" coleslaw, I would eat shredded cabbage with oil and vinegar.
I have stopped buying non fat foods for the most part as I feel the fat is just replaced by sugar or other empty calories. Just my humble opinion. :)
Old 11-09-2013, 09:32 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zereh View Post
Sweden & the "Low Fat" Diet Dogma

I know nothing about Health Impact News, that was just the first link that popped up when I did my Google search. There are tons of articles about the original study out there. It's worth reading a few of them, imo. =)
Thanks for the link. There may be a genetic component to this. People from the north may be better suited to high protein/fat - low carb.

A friend of mine posted about this on LiveJournal. sps: On Diet. He is the smartest person I know.

"On Diet

"There was recently a discussion on my friends list (in the context of politically motivated pet abuse, I believe) about the metabolic advisedness of the low-carbohydrate diet kept by certain good friends of mine (They say: works great! Others say: you nuts!). I thought it should not go without note that both of these individuals are of, in large part, nordic extraction. By this time of year, many of their ancestors were probably reduced to eating fish heads and seal willies, because science shows that you can't make toast out of snow. And the relevance of this is that, while your ancestors may be dead now, they (generally speaking) weren't dead at the time time that they were, if I may be somewhat indelicate, ‘procreating.’ I understand that this last point is a little difficult for certain fundamentalistically inclined individuals to grasp, but seriously, necrophilia does not lead to sharp population growth.

"So perhaps if you and yours come from nice warm climes where olives grow on trees and clothing is optional, a low-carbohydrate diet makes about as much sense as giving up wine. But for those for whom fermenting honey was actually more convenient than fermenting grapes (what, after all, are a few bee strings when you don't have any grapes...) the situation, by which I mean the inherited metabolic situation, may be a little different.

"Of course, I may be entirely wrong, since I know essentially nothing of either human metabolic chemistry or indeed paleoclimatography"
Old 11-10-2013, 01:39 AM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

One of the difficulties of a low carb diet is that a lot of the foods that a person decides is a carb, has many of the nutrients that the body needs. So sooner or later your body will be craving them and you find yourself eating carbs to excess. Or sugar, which in itself is a carb. But has no nutritional value at all. Better to eat small amounts of carbs and be successful than to omit them all together and fail.
Old 11-10-2013, 01:46 AM   #28
Head Chef

I'm curious about what nutrient(s) is/are found only in carb-rich foods. Without doing any research I'm still pretty confident that the most nutrient dense foods would rank fairly low in the carb arena.

We are fed by a food industry which pays no attention to health, and healed by a health industry that pays no attention to food - Wendell Berry
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 01:52 AM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zereh View Post
I'm curious about what nutrient(s) is/are found only in carb-rich foods. Without doing any research I'm still pretty confident that the most nutrient dense foods would rank fairly low in the carb arena.
Start with the potato. Vitamin B complex for starters.
Old 11-10-2013, 08:53 AM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

Lots of fruits and vegetables are high in carbs.

IMO, avoiding highly refined carbs is sensible - breads, pasta and rice. But some of these diets advocate avoiding fruits and vegetables as well and replacing the lost nutrients with supplements. This makes no sense to me.

Tags
recipe

Low Carb Cole Slaw Here you go Alix. I found this really tasty. No real indication that it's a low anything recipe. LOW-CARB COLE SLAW ½ C Mayonnaise ½ C Sour Cream 1 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar 2 tsp Prepared Mustard ½ tsp Salt 1 pkt Equal ¼ tsp Celery Seeds 1 Lb Cole Slaw Mix, bagged Combine the dressing ingredients in a large bowl. Add the cole slaw mix. Toss to combine and refrigerate for a couple of hours to overnight to allow flavors to blend. Serve cold. 3 stars 1 reviews