Fresh Salmon Cakes - Recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dragnlaw

Site Team
Staff member
This is a recipe from America's Test Kitchen (aka ATK). It is with fresh salmon, makes 8 patties, which is a lot when you're only cooking for one. Perhaps I will experiment on cutting it down but I'm really not very good at that. I can't (or don't have) a picture! Only one from ATK, which obviously I cn't use. Guess I'll have to make them soon, eh?

INGREDIENTS​

3 Tbsp plus 3/4 cup panko bread crumbs
2 Tbsp minced fresh parsley
2 Tbsp mayonnaise
4 tsp lemon juice
1 scallion, sliced thin
1 small shallot, minced
1 tsp Dijon mustard
¾ tsp salt
¼ tsp pepper
pinch cayenne pepper
1 (1 1/4 pound) skinless salmon fillet, cut into 1-inch pieces -
*if you are buying skin-on get about 1 1/3 lbs.
½ cup vegetable oil

INSTRUCTIONS​

1. Combine 3 tablespoons of panko plus the next 9 ingredients (up to the cayenne) in a bowl. Working in batches (about 3 batches), pulse salmon in food processor until coarsely chopped into 1/4-inch pieces, only about 2 pulses in order to avoid overprocessing, it is OK to have some pieces larger. Place each batch as done, into bowl with panko mixture. Gently mix until uniformly combined.

2. Put the remaining 3/4 cup panko onto a pie plate/dinner plate. Use a 1/3-cup measure scoop and measure a level amount of salmon mixture. Gently place each onto a baking sheet; repeat to make 8 cakes. Coat each cake in the bread crumbs, gently patting into disk measuring 2 3/4 inches in diameter and 1 inch high. Return coated cakes to baking sheet. I used my fish spatula to lift the patties so as not to break them.

3. On medium-high, heat the oil in a 12 inch skillet until shimmering. Add your salmon cakes into the skillet and cook without moving until golden brown, about 2 minutes. Carefully flip cakes and cook until second side is golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes.

4. Transfer cakes to paper towel–lined plate to drain 1 minute. Serve. (tartar sauce or lemon)

When you first read this it sounds a bit intimidating, but read it thru carefully - I'm sure you will be successful with it.
I know 8 patties is a lot to make, call a buddy to help you eat them. Or freeze 4 (or 6) of them. I have both frozen them cooked and uncooked. I honestly don’t know which way I prefer.

Hints:
Be sure to cut your salmon into 2" pcs before pulsing them. This ensures when you do pulse them you wil have uniform little pieces. Also don't forget to NOT over process them. ;)
There is no need for binders such as egg or flour due to salmons high concentration of water-soluble proteins.

Badjak, I hear you. I'm sure there are plenty of things available to you that I rarely, if ever, see here.
But salmon is not really all that cheap either. I wait til it goes on sale. Buy as big a piece as I can afford, cut it up into servings and freeze. There is always the smaller tail end that won't cook the same as the rest, so I'll save a couple to make the salmon cakes.

I was doing this recipe in hopes it would help Yajee start to like and eat it.

It is annoying when you see a nice looking recipe that serves lot of people. However, I see in this case you can freeze the patties - which actually is a great idea - you can just take one or two out of the freezer at a time when you are stuck for ideas.

Katy, as I mentioned earlier, I haven't been able to decide which is better, cooked then frozen, or frozen raw then cooked. Another decision to make is defrost first then cook, or cook from frozen.
I strongly suggest you try all and decide for yourself.
I think i found defrost and cook was best, but....

It is annoying when you see a nice looking recipe that serves lot of people. However, I see in this case you can freeze the patties - which actually is a great idea - you can just take one or two out of the freezer at a time when you are stuck for ideas.
:unsure:

salmon patties are standard fare here -

grits and salmon . . .
(1) cold out of the can, a DW fav . . me . . . not so much
(2) patties

I was stunned when I looked for pix of the salmon patties. no pix!
it's so commonplace in our house, no pix!

canned sockeye/red salmon is readily? available most everywhere anytime...

so lieu of starting with a fresh filet...goes like this:

one can of drained red salmon - aka sockeye, usually labeled "Red"
note: not "pink" salmon - we just don't go there....

salmon to bowl, break-up, remove bones as found . . .
add:
- finely diced yellow onion
- small dice green sweet pepper
- "other" seasonings - Old Bay , , , as desired
- smidge salt & fgp to taste
fold & mix

beat one egg in a small bowl, add to mix
combine by folding - avoid turning salmon into mush
allow to stand 10 minutes
check the bowl bottom - add panko / bread crumbs as needed - fold in, so the bread can soak up free liquid.
{{{ this is needed because depending on brand and how well the canned salmon is drained . . . one can get more free liquid that permits 'forming' into patties}}}

form into patties
"std" is four; I do five, , , because DW always wants a salmon patty sandwich for lunch next day....

pan fry.
- can be dredged in flour
or
- breaded in crumbs/panko/other

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom