Mexican (Fresh) chorizo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

medtran49

Master Chef
Recipe is from Michael Ruhlman's Charcuterie.

We generally leave this as bulk but can be stuffed into casings if desired. Recipe can be doubled.

2.5 pounds boneless pork butt or previously ground pork
Slightly rounded 1 Tbsp kosher salt
1/2 Tbsp hot paprika
1 Tbsp Chipotle powder OR cayenne powder
1/2 Tbsp very finely minced garlic
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 Tbsp finely chopped fresh Mexican oregano OR 1/2 tsp dried, can use regular oregano
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1-1/2 Tbsp tequila
1-1/2 Tbsp red wine vinegar

Sausage casings if using

If using pork butt, mix all ingredients together, except the liquids, and grind. Proceed as below.

Place all ingredients into a mixer bowl and mix until there is a uniform, slightly sticky appearance, a little over 1 minute if using a mixer with a paddle bit at medium speed. If mixing by hand, stir in 1 direction only until you get the above appearance and small white threads form in the mix from the meat proteins.

This freezes fine.

medtran, how do you divide it up? or do you only make sausages?

I guess I would divide into 1/2 lb. packages, approx., flattened and frozen. Sound about right?

I guess I would divide into 1/2 lb. packages, approx., flattened and frozen. Sound about right?
I know you asked medtran...but I'm giving my input anyway...I like to package and freeze in about 1/4 cup/per. Not that I measure, I just eyeball it. That way I can do about 1/4 cup of chorizo to a couple of eggs and serve them that way or as a burrito.

So, I guess it would be according to how you might use it?

@dragnlaw I always just vacuum seal different amounts of chorizo for freezing; even though I always see chorizo sold in casings, every recipe tells me to remove the chorizo from the casing to cook it! It is always cooked loose, like that - I have never seen recipes with chorizo cooked or grilled in the casings in any way.

That since we almost always use it as bulk.

@dragnlaw I always just vacuum seal different amounts of chorizo for freezing; even though I always see chorizo sold in casings, every recipe tells me to remove the chorizo from the casing to cook it! It is always cooked loose, like that - I have never seen recipes with chorizo cooked or grilled in the casings in any way.
Caribbean paella uses it as cased sausage, but we have used bulk as well. Depends on whether we buy chorizo or use some we've made.

Thanks guys. Should I ever get around to making some, 1/4 to 1/2 pkgs it will be,.

Truth to tell, have only ever seen recipes with casings intact. But this makes much more sense.

Edit: Ginny, LOL, ask a public question get a public answer. I firmly believe, the more the merrier!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom