14 February Saint Valentine-What's your dinner menu?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am going to try some rattle snake pasta, my girlfriend and I had it at a resturant and loved it. Its penne alfredo with chicken, jalapeno peppers, jack and parm cheese, planning to make the sauce from scratch.

i've made this dozens of times, i love it at pizzeria uno, ive duplicated it pretty well. i can give you the recipe if you'd like

I'm planning on cooking up some porterhouse steaks and serving them with salad, potatoes (twice-baked if my boyfriend likes them, mashed if he doesn't), and maybe garlic bread. Dessert will probably be dark chocolate fudge.

i'm not sure if we're going out or staying in since last night's plans were scrapped due to the weather.

if we're staying in, i'll surprize dw with a surf and turf. i have some filets mignon left in the freezer from the last time i bought a whole one, so all i'll need are the little monsters.
they're about 11 bucks per pound this time of year, so maybe i'll just get 3 small one pounders-ish and add some shrimp (ajillo maybe? or maybe cocktail or scampi) to help out the surf.

Ours will be on Sunday..... Short Ribs in a Nebbiolo sauce and creamy Gorgonzola Polenta... some sauteed rabe or dandelion greens, and my favorite Valentine's Dessert, Coeur a la Creme, for dessert. (The mold is heart-shaped! ;)) (this is MY recipe)

Coeur a la Creme with Raspberry Sauce
4 servings

The following is a very romantic and unexpected dessert. The white heart with the raspberry sauce makes such a beautiful presentation. If you can find Fromage Blanc, it will give you the lightest texture mold. It won't upstage a glass of Inniskillin's fabulous Ice Wine, or a glass of Framboise from Domaine Lucien Jacob (of Echevronne, France).

1 cup Fromage Blanc or cream cheese, or 1 cup cottage cheese that has been rubbed through a sieve or pureed in a food processor
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
2 tablespoons sugar
2 egg whites, stiffly beaten with the above sugar, but not dry
Raspberry Sauce (recipe follows)

Blend the cheese with 1 cup of the heavy cream until smooth. Fold in the sugar and egg whites. Line a heart shaped basket or mold with holes in it, using several layers of cheesecloth. Spoon the mixture into the mold, place it in a shallow bowl, and allow to drain overnight in the refrigerator. Unmold, pour on the remaining 1/2 cup cream. To serve, surround heart with raspberry sauce, and pass the rest in a sauceboat.

Teacher's Tip: Prepare cheesecloth by rinsing to remove the sizing and lint. Cut several pieces large enough to line the mold and overlap the sides. This will make unmolding much easier.

Raspberry Sauce
1 quart raspberries or two 10-oz pkgs frozen berries
1 cup sugar, or 1/2 cup if using frozen sweetened berries
2 tablespoons Framboise (the liqueur, not the eau de vie)

MASH the berries. COOK over low flame with sugar until soft. PRESS through a fine sieve to remove the seeds, Add Framboise, and chill.

Since I'd rather eat worms & die than go out to eat on a holiday (the overpriced frou-frou menus & the sickly red rose given to all the women), we'll be having the traditional Valentine's Day meal I make every year at home:

Caviar & Champagne

Boiled Maine Lobsters with melted Lemon Butter
Shoestring Potatoes
Green salad

Dessert will either be Chocolate Mousse or something with fresh berries - will depend on what the market has availabale tomorrow.

The above plus a good old movie on tv (or DVD) will be more than adequate - lol!!

Every day is Valentines Day at our house! I think DH may not have to work tomorrow and its supposed to snow all day. Cozy!!!
That said, I am stumped on making something special. Last year I made potstickers, then fried nutella filled wontons for dessert. And some hazelnut truffles.
I have 10 extra dollars this year. I think it may just be spaghetti because it's red and the kids love it..... I'll make some french bread. I may have stuff for truffles laying around again. I'd make them but we're both getting fat. Maybe just some red peppers?
:) so many decisions, so little time.

Aacckk - the lobsters were fabulous!!! One of our local markets had large run Maine lobsters on sale for $14.99/pound, so I was able to snag two 2-pounders & they were both luscious & full. What a feast we had!!!

As they say here, "It's all over but the shoutin'!"

The French onion soup was awesome, pork tenderloin Diane turned out tender and juicy and, as usual as Buck says, the Caesar salad was delish. The peach cobbler was a new recipe and a keeper. We're filled to the brim. A good time was had by all.;)

V-Day.....

Set up chairs on the deck to view the sunset. Opened a bottle of cheap Liebfraumilch and had chocolate covered strawberries for appetizers.

Was going to grill steaks, etc for dinner, but DW said she wanted a repeat of the beef stew and johnny cake!!! Easy dinner, followed by coffee and chocolate truffles.

That's why I'm still awake!! :bash:

Our Valentine's dinner has to be put off until Friday evening.

Salad
Steak and Mushrooms Marsala
Asparagus
Baked Potatoes with sour cream and chives
Dessert--not sure yet, maybe Upside Down Chocolate Pudding Cake with whipped cream

:)Barbara

dinner was a big hit... the wellington came out great and the dessert was better then expected.

Stuffed Cherry Tomatoes:
img_550527_0_05663fc2c167a1e2b969df5e6cb125a7.jpg

Minnestrone:
img_550527_1_c0afcb7773b83fe3047c3a36d7228b3c.jpg

Beef Wellington:
img_550527_2_88749e00a3fc9249034b1cba3485de5c.jpg

Raspberry Mousse torte, truffles, and framboise shooter:
img_550527_3_510540e00812a178186555281320db68.jpg

Back
Top Bottom