"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 12-23-2014, 11:04 AM   #1
Certified Pretend Chef

Christmas Dinner Menu

SO and I are hosting my two daughters, SIL and grandson for a gift exchange with appetizers followed by dinner.

We are making cheese bereg, a paklava-like dish similar to spanakopita. It's filled with muenster and cottage cheeses.

Dinner will be a boneless ribeye roast, gravy, lyonnaise potatoes, rice pilaf, steamed broccoli, rolls and wine. Desserts will include Christmas cookies, paklava and a chocolate ganache cake.

What's on your menu?

Old 12-23-2014, 11:36 AM   #2
Master Chef

Spiral sliced ham, kielbasa, cauliflower gratin, cabbage salad and lo carb apple crisp with fake ice cream for dessert.

I'm also going to make a small batch of lo carb eggnog with some cognac and dark rum added to kill or confuse any bacteria that may be lurking in the raw eggs!

Old 12-23-2014, 12:04 PM   #3
Wine Guy

We're doing courses...

Appetizers. Served with Berlucchi '61 Brut (think Italian "Champagne")
  • Bacon wrapped scallops with chipotle mayo
  • Assorted cheeses
  • Caprese Salad
  • Smoked salmon

Soup. Served with TBD Chardonnay. Choice of:
  • Broccoli Cheddar
  • Cream of Mushroom

Entree. Served with my own 2013 Pinot Noir or 2012 Syrah.
  • Standing Rib Roast with Au Jus and Horseradish Cream
  • Red Wine Braised Mushrooms
  • Garlic Mashed Potatoes
  • Squash Gratin
  • Green Bean Sauté

Salad. Assorted Greens with choice of Blue Cheese or Smoked Balsamic Vinaigrette. Served with my own 2013 Viognier.

Dessert. Someone else is bringing, so I have no idea what it will be.
Old 12-23-2014, 12:06 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Aunt Bea, float the eggs in water and pick the freshest ones you have in the carton (the ones that stay horizontal on the bottom). Salmonella has to make it to the yolk to be of concern. If you are using store-bought eggs, buy the pasteurized eggs (in the States, they have a pink P in a circle on them).
Old 12-23-2014, 01:06 PM   #5
Master Chef

We're doing a California Christmas since the temps will be like summer here.

My son will barbeque Tri Tips and shrimp along with marinated pineapple slices and garlic bread. There will be a big green salad, my Sunshine Potatoes, and someone will bring dessert. There will be ten adult family members and baby Cheyenne to make our Christmas complete.

Merry Christmas to all whatever your menu!

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 01:17 PM   #6
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Aunt Bea, float the eggs in water and pick the freshest ones you have in the carton (the ones that stay horizontal on the bottom). Salmonella has to make it to the yolk to be of concern. If you are using store-bought eggs, buy the pasteurized eggs (in the States, they have a pink P in a circle on them).
Thanks for the tip.

You could also make what is known as a boiled custard and use that as the base for the eggnog, similar to a vanilla ice cream base.
Old 12-23-2014, 04:30 PM   #7
Head Chef

Starters will be pastry and prosciutto wrapped asparagus spears, and basil pesto elephant ears.

The main meal will be a spinach salad with warm bacon dressing; a 13 pound boneless rib roast slow roasted and rubbed with several cracked herb seeds and served with a brown ale butter sauce; make ahead mashed potatoes (with sour cream and cream cheese) and gravy, a veggie as yet unknown (my SIL is bringing that); rolls and butter.

Dessert will be a pecan pie and a butterscotch pie.

We also have several bottles of wine to work our way through. There will be 10 attending, eight family, and two friends whose respective families are too far away to be able to get together every year. We will try to be family for them this year.
Old 12-23-2014, 06:07 PM   #8
Head Chef

We used to have turkey on xmas day and crab on xmas eve, but our family has shrunk so we now forgo our xmas eve crab dinner and have it on xmas day.

Dungeness crab, potato salad, coleslaw, sourdough bread, pumpernickel bread, cream cheese, Swiss cheese, blue cheese, pickled herring, creamed herring, sweet gherkin pickles, black olives, melted butter, mayonnaise, lemon wedges.
Old 12-23-2014, 06:33 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Going to a friend's house. She's planning ham, scalloped potatoes, asparagus, sweet potatoes and some other stuff.
Old 12-23-2014, 08:06 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
Thanks for the tip.

You could also make what is known as a boiled custard and use that as the base for the eggnog, similar to a vanilla ice cream base.
I have no qualms about using raw eggs. My mother made eggnog (pre-pasteurized egg days) whenever we were sick. I didn't get sicker.

I don't make eggnog, but I use raw eggs. I don't use raw eggs when I have guests over, but I don't have any concerns about my eggs.

My doctor buys eggs from me. She is from Eastern Europe. At my last appointment, she told me that even if the eggs have been in the fridge for a month, the yolks are still round and the white doesn't separate from the eggs. My problem is sometimes my eggs are too fresh! I can't do boiled eggs unless I let the eggs cure. Her mother raised hens. She has no concerns about eating eggs that have not been pasteurized. She does have concerns about the conditions from which store-bought eggs come--battery farms.

I know from where my eggs come, the health of my girls, their living conditions, and what they eat. Right now, the ones who are molting are getting extra protein to push those feathers out (three are in the house because they are "naked.") .

I know how fresh the eggs are and understand that salmonella has to make it to the yolk from the white to be an issue. The bacteria cannot develop in the white. Eggs don't hang around my house long enough to get that old. Any eggs that start to "float" (rise up off the bottom when I check for freshness) are fed to the dogs or given to a local wildlife sanctuary to be fed to the raccoons (those are still fresh eggs, but when I have some that are a little older, that means I have too many eggs!) At this time of year, those eggs are the ones I didn't pick up before they froze but the shells "seam back together" when the eggs warm up.

Tags
christmas, dinner, menu