"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 12-14-2015, 02:49 PM   #21
Master Chef

Very cute, di! I can identify with a few of those lines...

Old 12-14-2015, 04:20 PM   #22
Senior Cook

11 ways with Christmas turkey

It's virtually impossible to get a whole turkey where we are in Italy, but we live in an area where you get white truffles, so my Christmas Day menu will be Parma ham and melon, wild mushrooms in consommè, homemade tagliatelle with truffles, quail in a champagne sauce with cèp mushrooms and truffles, pears braised in moscato wine with ginger, amaretti. I only ever have items in the freezer that are for cooking, and never have prepared dishes in there - you can knock up a pasta dish in no time. There will be Panettone, Siena nougat, and other sweet delicacies. In the evening, an omelette fine herbes and salad, and for my husband, plenty of sweet things to nibble on. The risotto's, stews, and other seasonal dishes come out between Christmas and the New Year.

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

Old 12-14-2015, 04:32 PM   #23
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by di reston View Post
It's virtually impossible to get a whole turkey where we are in Italy, but we live in an area where you get white truffles, so my Christmas Day menu will be Parma ham and melon, wild mushrooms in consommè, homemade tagliatelle with truffles, quail in a champagne sauce with cèp mushrooms and truffles, pears braised in moscato wine with ginger, amaretti. I only ever have items in the freezer that are for cooking, and never have prepared dishes in there - you can knock up a pasta dish in no time. There will be Panettone, Siena nougat, and other sweet delicacies. In the evening, an omelette fine herbes and salad, and for my husband, plenty of sweet things to nibble on. The risotto's, stews, and other seasonal dishes come out between Christmas and the New Year.

di reston

Holy cow, that menu sounds divine Di !! Are you an American living in Italy?
Someone is bound to buck me on this, but here in the US turkey is often not on the menu for Christmas. Thanksgiving is only a month before, and turkey is on nearly everyone's table that day.

At least in my house, "the definition of eternity is two people and a ham".

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 05:25 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

I will be heading to my daughter's for the big meal. She will again getting the dinner already cooked from Boston Market. Can't say I blame her. Thirty years or so of cooking holiday meals. It has run it course. And since she had the cancer, she has really lost her interest in playing hostess. Her kids are grown and make their own plans now. Maybe in time it will return. But she is enjoying her life right now.

For me, with a limited income and somewhere between 17-19 grand and great grandkids, presents have come to a halt. And they are scattered all over the map. So the holidays are a lot quieter for me now. They do show up with a new baby every now and then. And the family just keeps growing.
Old 12-14-2015, 05:53 PM   #25
Head Chef

Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
Quote:
Originally Posted by di reston View Post

di reston

What? no Seven Fishes? or is that only the American-Italians tradition on Christmas Eve? My husband's family does at least seven, but sometimes 12...
Old 12-15-2015, 02:18 AM   #26
Certified Cake Maniac

I think our Christmas dinner will consist of Popcorn, a drink and maybe some M&M's!

TB and I went to his family dinner yesterday and my sister and I haven't celebrated together since our Dad died - we aren't fighting, she just hasn't been one for holidays. We get together at other times throughout the year.

We decided this year that we would go to a movie Christmas day and I would make something at home either before or after but nothing fancy.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 08:33 AM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

Nada here. My brother is still in MN. My plan is to bing on movies and hibernate. Christmas is a very sad time of year for me.
Old 12-15-2015, 11:49 AM   #28
Honey Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Someone is bound to buck me on this, but here in the US turkey is often not on the menu for Christmas. Thanksgiving is only a month before, and turkey is on nearly everyone's table that day.

At least in my house, "the definition of eternity is two people and a ham".
Growing up we never had all these fancy Christmas dinners.

Dinner was what my parents could afford. With all the kids they had. We were grateful for what we did have. Usually just a dressed up canned Ham. Mom didn't like to cook. Prime Rib was a foreign word to me until I received my first cookbook.
Sometimes it was a Turkey.It stretched out farther for her.

Now I'm older with my own. I've established in my sons it's not what you eat for the holidays, it's who you're with. Be grateful for everything.
Old 12-15-2015, 01:49 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

I don't even remember what we had for Christmas dinner when I was a kid. I just remember being excited on Christmas morning and spending a fun day playing with presents with my sister and brother and visiting with my dad's relatives (that was in Michigan and my mom's family were all in the South).

These days my family is all scattered around the country and we typically go to Michigan in the summer when the weather is better. So it's just the two of us and we are able to enjoy a nice meal together. I'm grateful for that. Merry Christmas 🎄
Old 12-15-2015, 02:14 PM   #30
Master Chef

When I was a kid we always had a formal roast beast dinner with Yorkshire pudding and all the trimmings. The good china, crystal, etc... came out. We all dressed up and fidgeted while we waited for our grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins to arrive. The food was great but it really was a stressful day for little kids who would rather be at home, in pajamas on the floor playing with new toys.

When we got older it was a lazy brunch with scrambled eggs, a baked ham, kielbasa and various trimmings. Later in the day slices of the ham and kielbasa reappeared with potato salad, deviled eggs, onion rye bread, etc... People just drifted in and out, no waiting, no fancy dishes, no dressing up and no fidgeting! The constant was always a mountain of homemade cookies and a rich white bread with candied fruit and nuts drizzled with a little frosting, each slice spread with lots of butter!

These days it's just me and my memories, I look forward to it!

Tags
christmas, turkey