"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 11-12-2013, 08:06 PM   #1
Proud American

Entertaining Guests?

I'm trying to learn to be an excellent hostess when my friends come here for meals.

I know the table must be inviting, and I know each guest must be greeted very nicely and offered a beverage and an appetizer.

I tried to find a part of the website for proper entertaining but I found none. Where must I post my question?

It's not about cooking, but it has much to do with food I think, yes?

With love,
~Cat

Old 11-12-2013, 09:39 PM   #2
Executive Chef

You are right Cat, entertaining does have a lot to do with food. I tried to locate a thread, what I found were a Couple of etiquette threads, which perhaps contain a few entertaining pointers. I am not good at inserting "links", but if you search "etiquette" you will find them. I see no reason why this topic wouldn't make a good thread, so I say go for it (build it and they will come) ;)

Old 11-12-2013, 09:45 PM   #3
Proud American

Perhaps this could be a subforum of general cooking? I need to make eveything perfect for Mamma and Papa when they arrive. Etiquette will help me!

Thank you so very much!

With love,
~Cat
Old 11-13-2013, 08:26 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

There's a forum for Special Event Planning where these questions could be posted.
Old 11-13-2013, 12:34 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Cat, one of the things that seems to help me when I want to entertain is to have as much of my meal/food prepared ahead of time. This serves two purposes. One, I can be more relaxed, knowing that I won't have to rush around in the kitchen. Secondly, doing this allows me to spend time visiting with my guests, which is something they came to enjoy along with the food.

For a first "entertaining" experience don't try to do something ultra-complex or super fancy. It will only serve to stress you and that can lead to mistakes, which leads to...

Well, you can see where that can end up.

Prepare dishes that you are comfortable/familiar with and do well. You will gain confidence in your hostess skills this way without having to worry about what you are cooking.

Take baby steps. Don't try to be the "greatest hostess in the world" the first few times your entertain.

If you are entertaining family or dear friends, they will forgive any small boo boos and can offer gentle and constructive points on how my could change what you did/do and what might be done differently next time.

It's a learning experience and we all evolve at our own speed and...we are all still learning. There's no final exam that I'm aware of when it comes to being a good hostess.

Have fun with it and enjoy your time together. What you may perceive as an horrific mistake will end up being a memorable "laugh" in the years ahead.
Old 11-13-2013, 01:15 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

To add to what Katie posted, when you're entertaining is not the time to try new recipes No matter the source, sometimes a recipe doesn't turn out quite right, so if you make it a few times first, you will know whether it's reliable and any tweaks you want to make.

And please try to relax! These are your parents you're talking about! They want to see you and spend time with you, not watch you run around like crazy, worrying whether everything is perfect! IIRC, they will be with you for over a month, so this visit is more than just an evening of entertaining.

IMO, the number one responsibility of any host or hostess is to make his/her guests feel relaxed and welcome. If you're stressed out, your guests will sense that and things become awkward and uncomfortable. Just prepare as best you can and keep your sense of humor

P.S. I just realized that this thread is actually in the Special Events section I think that's right where it belongs.
Old 11-13-2013, 02:33 PM   #7
Master Chef

Good advice above, Cat. Just have fun and go with it. Your family and friends are more likely to remember the socializing than the food, and if you are relaxed and having a good time, they will too.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:01 PM   #8
Proud American

And hopefully forget about the food poisoning also, yes? Ha!

I'll copy and paste these replies onto a notepad. Thank you so much!

I re-donated the flatware I had for my new dishes to Goodwill and bought a different set at a regular store. This new set has plain handles, which I think look better. Mamma, Gwen, and Lakisha all said the former set was too "busy" for the dishes. All three of them like these very much better!

I'm letting the dishes splash the color onto the table. I have bought chargers and plain tablecloths and placemats, and the glassware is fairly plain also, but nice.

In America, do you frisk your dinner guests before or after you steal their coats?

Just joking!

Katie, may I please copy your photos of your tables? Can anyone else show me ideas for decorating the table also, please? I'm running out of time to put this all together.

I know I should relax about this, but it's hard. It's why there is nervous humor in my posting.

With love,
~Cat
Old 11-13-2013, 09:34 PM   #9
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatPat View Post
And hopefully forget about the food poisoning also, yes? Ha! I'll copy and paste these replies onto a notepad. Thank you so much! I re-donated the flatware I had for my new dishes to Goodwill and bought a different set at a regular store. This new set has plain handles, which I think look better. Mamma, Gwen, and Lakisha all said the former set was too "busy" for the dishes. All three of them like these very much better! I'm letting the dishes splash the color onto the table. I have bought chargers and plain tablecloths and placemats, and the glassware is fairly plain also, but nice. In America, do you frisk your dinner guests before or after you steal their coats? Just joking! Katie, may I please copy your photos of your tables? Can anyone else show me ideas for decorating the table also, please? I'm running out of time to put this all together. I know I should relax about this, but it's hard. It's why there is nervous humor in my posting. With love, ~Cat
Depending on the guest, sometimes they get tackled and frisked as soon as they are in the door, never mind the coat! In our house, the cats steal everyone's shoes as soon as they are taken off, so jackets don't usually get stolen :crazy:

You have lovely dishes, which with the rest being more neutral, makes for a pleasing and inviting table to look at. I'm sure your parents are looking toward to seeing your home, and spending much time with you. I will see if I can find some pictures of table set ups to share with you.

Toff
Old 11-13-2013, 09:37 PM   #10
Proud American

Oh no! 13 days until Mamma and Papa arrive! I must get some menus going!

They will be arriving around 4pm. That is 11pm Romanian time.

I'm thinking they will be tired, and so perhaps a light meal is in order. What do you think?

With love,
~Cat