"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 11-19-2007, 04:06 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
Help on cooking for large group

My brother-in-law's graduation is coming up in a few weeks and I have about 30 people coming over to our house for a celebration. My husband is grilling with his dad and I will be cooking with my mother-in-law. I need suggestions and LARGE QUANTITY recipes on what sides to cook for the bbq. I'm really nervous as I've never had to cook so much for a large group before. Thanks in advance everyone.

Old 11-19-2007, 04:11 PM   #2
Everymom

What are you serving Dina? Burgers? Steak?

I'd make a big potato salad for one thing, then I'd do either a big green salad or a coleslaw.

If you are doing burgers, that should do it. If you are doing steak or something, I think I would change out the potato salad to baked potatoes.

Then I think I'd have a nice appy tray out for nibbling before the meal hits. Maybe some wings (2 flavours), veggie tray, and a tray of tortilla roll ups.

30 isn't too many Dina. It just sounds scary. You'll be fine.

Old 11-19-2007, 04:15 PM   #3
Executive Chef

a big bowl of coleslaw.Also as another asked what are you BBQing?
Dont worry it will be easier than you think especially because you can make alot of things a day or two ahead.
Old 11-19-2007, 04:21 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
How about a large dish of 7 layer dip and chips.
It goes great with burgers and everyone always loves it.
Old 11-19-2007, 04:33 PM   #5
Master Chef

I love some fried mushroom on my humburget, or mushroom gravy on my stake.
For sure dip sounds like a good idea, how about some guacomole. But again, depends on what you are serving.
if you have bonless chicken breast i like marinated, grille dvegies, like zukinies, bell peppers, portabell mushrooms.
Old 11-19-2007, 04:40 PM   #6
Senior Cook

How about some kind of pasta salad? It goes well with BBQ and you can make a huge batch of it ahead of time. Some even freeze well too.
Old 11-19-2007, 05:42 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Dina, the key to feeding that many people and still getting to enjoy the meal with them is to make as much ahead of time as possible, which of course you know. But you also have to figure out how to serve large amounts of food. I've found that crock pots are wonderful for big get-togethers. Borrow a few from friends and neighbors. You can plug them in all over the house, freeing up counter space, and then just unplug and carry outside to serve from. A pot or 2 of your favorite baked beans recipe would go nicely with BBQ. Also, maybe a big pile of Mexican rice. Very colorful and always nice with beans and BBQ.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:05 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
Thanks you all. Carlos is grilling chicken and skirt steaks. I like the side suggestions now I need to decide what goes best with grilled chicken and steak. I would like to go with chicken wings for appetizers and a veggie tray. How can I keep the wings warm? Would you all serve dessert for this type of celebration?
Old 11-19-2007, 10:14 PM   #9
Executive Chef

If you have a big electric roaster (like a turkey roaster) you can set it for 200 degrees and keep the wings warm - even serve from it if you have access to an electrical outlet. The same goes for crockpots.

I think desert is always lovely. You could go light with a lovely chilled fruit compote. You could also make a big bread pudding and offer with an assortment of sauces. Banana pudding is very nice and can be served chilled so you can make it early in the day.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:22 PM   #10
Master Chef

Chafing dishes are really cheap. Is there Sam's club around you? They have the holder and for pan you just use foil pan, which they also sell, alone with the fuel.