"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 10-04-2005, 10:51 PM   #1
Head Chef

Holiday Cooking Tips

I know this may be a bit early, but this is my favorite cooking time of year. I was hoping to start a discussion on tips to streamline your holiday cooking.

Please don't post recipes on this thread, but keep it to tips or ideas that you do or have heard work really well.

Old 10-04-2005, 11:06 PM   #2
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to masteraznchefjr
If your having a lot of guests. TIME MANAGEMENT! lol yea keep everything in order and time everything perfectly. I tend to start 1 week of planning then 1 week of preparation and creating the meal.

masteraznchefjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 11:24 PM   #3
Sous Chef

Some things can be done now if you have freezer space. Some cookie doughs like chocolate chip, can be mixed now, shaped into logs, wrapped well and frozen and baked when needed. Umbaked dough takes less freezer space than baked cookies. Shop for non-perishables each week as you do your grocery shopping. Delegate. Most people want to bring something, so don't be shy when they ask and specify what you would like them to bring.
Old 10-05-2005, 04:49 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Send a message via AIM to Piccolina Send a message via MSN to Piccolina Send a message via Yahoo to Piccolina
LISTS!!!!

Lists are essential, if you have more than a couple of special holiday things to do! Start as soon as possible, wrap presents and tuck them away, fill out & address & stamp Xmas cards and keep them in an easy to see spot so you remember to send them in time. Stock up on things like candles and inexpensive glasses (Ikea is great for that, if you are fortunate to live near one) and try to do as much baking/cooking as you can pre-BIG DAY as purrfectlydevine wisely pointed out.

"The most indispensable ingredient of all good home cooking: love, for those you are cooking for" ~ Sophia Loren
Piccolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 05:37 AM   #5
Master Chef

I'm a firm believer in that little fat dough boy. His pie crusts trump mine any day of the week, and I keep them on hand. Tourtiere is a must, and freezes very well. But the best hint is to delegate. I'm not a baker, but have a freind in Florida who sends me home-made cookies. When it comes to the big meals, have your freinds bring THEIR regional specialities. I never try to reproduce someone else's favorite at this stressfull-enough time of the year. The best shortcut is to not put the pressure on yourself to do everything.

I don't have children, but highly recommend you clear a few afternoons to cook with the children in your life. I'm amazed at how many parents find it easier to "do it themselves" rather than have their kids help. Who cares if that cookie is ugly, the tree isn't perfect, the pie looks like ... well, a mess. The best kitchen hint for the season is to give up being a Normal Rockwell family and a Martha Stewart hostess. Relax and enjoy it.
Old 10-05-2005, 11:28 AM   #6
Everymom

I read a tip about stuffing your turkey. I haven't tried it, but it sounded cool. You can put your stuffing in the end of a CLEAN nylon stocking and put it inside the turkey that way, so when it comes time you remove it, you have it in one ball. The tip said that nylon is good to a much hotter temp than the inside of a fully cooked turkey so this would be safe. I imagine cheesecloth would work too, but I haven't tried that either.

Old 10-05-2005, 11:42 AM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

I'm one of those folks that doesn't put the stuffing into the turkey. I cook it separately. I think the turkey comes out much better that way.
Old 10-06-2005, 07:05 AM   #8
Executive Chef

Send a message via AIM to Piccolina Send a message via MSN to Piccolina Send a message via Yahoo to Piccolina
Quote:
I cook it separately. I think the turkey comes out much better that way.
Stuffing was wildly popular in our house growing up (probably my fav part of the Christmas meal), so my mom always stuffed the bird and made a casserole dish full of stuffing on the side. Inevitably we ate the stuffing from the turkey first as it tasted just that much better than the one cooked alone.

To this day I can gleefully make a meal out of stuffing alone

"The most indispensable ingredient of all good home cooking: love, for those you are cooking for" ~ Sophia Loren
Piccolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 08:11 AM   #9
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICadvisor
To this day I can gleefully make a meal out
of stuffing alone
Same here, IC! The stuffing is one of the best parts of Thanksgiving in my mind!

Since we're expecting the baby right around Turkey Day this year, I'm not planning a large get-together like we normally do. I'll miss cooking the dinner--it's always been one of my favorite holidays, but we'll have a belated one with even more to be thankful for.

When I do though, I agree that LISTS are so important. I plot out my menu--from apps and snacks to desserts and beverages well in advance so I can pick things up at the store in small doeses and work ahead as much as possible.

I always try a couple new things but am always sure to have several TNTs on my menu, too. It's as much for me to have something familiar to make to take some of the pressure off as it is making my family's favorites.

Delegate! And this is the pot calling the kettle black since I don't delegate much in my kitchen, but if someone offers to bring something, let them. I usually have someone bring pretty paper plates and cocktail napkins for the apps, crackers to go with cheese spreads I might make, beverages (hey, it saves me a run to the liquor store!), that sort of thing. And my Mom always makes the stuffing. It's not so much a tradition as it is a law.
Old 10-06-2005, 08:50 AM   #10
Executive Chef

When my kids were growing up, the stuffing left from one meal never made it to another. My dd would finish it before anyone else got to it. We always had ambrosia with our holiday meals also, but I didn't make it like many do. I use only naval oranges, coconut and a touch of sugar to release the juices in the oranges. DS would finish that off. He also does what I thought was rather strange, but has gotten everyone in our family and many friends to doing the same. I make the cranberry orange relish on the back of the cranberry package. He would always put his ambrosia next to the cranberry relish on his plate and mix them. It is really very good, but I would not have come up with that. Some things we just have to have every holiday meal no matter what other things have been added.