I need a good dinner idea that can feed about 30 people

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, having done this, ages ago (I grew up in a beach town)... I agree with Michael in FtW.

You're gonna have to work with what's available at your destination. Which means that you are probably going to be doing a firepit or a barbecue, or maybe something in one big pot.

And your guests probably are going to eat 2-3 times as much as adults. And they are probably going to have strong likes/dislikes in the food department.

So I'd probably give them a side dish that can be cooked in whatever way the meat is going to be cooked... baked potatoes in the firepit, or steamed corn-on-the cob in a big pot, or skewered veggies on the barbecue.

And give them a choice of condiments to add... mango chutney may be good for some, but some will probably just want plain ketchup, or salt and pepper.

This might be where you can shine--you can invent your own sauce/relish and offer it, among the standard ones.

Melon is also good for a beach setting. You can offer slices to eat out of hand.

The main thing is to keep it simple, both so you don't have to stress about it and so that the food can be served quickly. (Anything that's not served quickly on a beach ends up with sand in it!)

Don't forget some big trash bags for clean-up!

well, its not exactly going to be a feast, and it will be cooked inside, not right on the beach. im liking the meat idea, but for other things or even the meat, i would like to make some kind of sauce

Coming from an 18 year old myself I would go with a penne bolognese you really can not go wrong with that. For a meat to go with it I would do some marinated turkey tips they are healthier then steak tips and have virtually no fat on them.

If you are looking to wow them with your culinary skills I would wrap some proscuitto around any type of melon you like and just put a toothpick in to hold it together. It is a nice hors D'oeuvre that is good for the summer.

bplax44 said:
well, its not exactly going to be a feast, and it will be cooked inside, not right on the beach. im liking the meat idea, but for other things or even the meat, i would like to make some kind of sauce

Carolina pulled pork--again. Cheap, easy,you can take it with you in 3 big chunks.

i'm with elfie and sha-ront. ;)
my first thought was clam-bake-ish, or what those from down yonder call a low country bawl.

since everyone except a rare freak loves italian food, and you're feeding a bunch, i was thinking pasta. since it's a beachy thing, and you're looking for a little sophistication, how about a bouillabase/cioppino/zuppa di pesce to go with or over the pasta?

it doesn't take very long to cook. in fact, too long will ruin the fish by making them tough. just make your base sauce or broth, which can be done in advance, then add the thicker pieces and shelled fish first. wait 2 or 3 minutes, then put in the the more delicate fish a few minutes before serving.

i'd add lobsters, clams, mussels, shrimp, scallops, squid, and a chunky, firm fleshed white fish like monkfish, pretty much in that order.

brown your garlic (lotsa garlic - sliced, not chopped) and diced onions, deglaze with wine, add a little fish stock or clam juice, a bundle of fresh herbs de provence, add chopped tomatoes, let simmer to bring flavors together, then begin to add fish. you're ready to serve with the pasta in just a few minutes, and it looks great steaming in large bowls. or if you think there might be lobster horders, get an assembly line and dole out portions in pasta bowls.

if you really want to knock them out, bake some crusty bread to serve along with it. the smell of fresh bread :)sad: easter had better get here soon!), the fish in herby garlic broth, and the ocean is not something to be missed in life.

The mac and cheese idea was great-- and if you want to dress it up, try adding different kinds of cheese. It doesnt have to be boring, and everyone will eat it.

ok, well i got a while to prepare. this is for the summer, and we are going to the beach in florida. these teenagers are around 16 to 18. i want to be able to feed a lot, but i dont wont to use premade things, like sauces. now i am from pittsburgh and im 18. i love to cook and i feel that i know what im doing so i want something that will challenge me, and also that will be different from everyday food

How about Baked Mac-N-Cheese, Salad and maybe green beans or Steamed Broccoli? Dinner Rolls ( if you don't top mac-n-cheese with bread cubes). Chocolate Cake and Ice Cream for dessert. JMHO

My all time favorite is a taco bar. You make your favorite chile recipe, then have all the other things -- tortillas, shredded lettuce, cheese, etc. People really enjoy it.

Back
Top Bottom