"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 11-12-2005, 05:06 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Oh you're going to be transporting the stuff....that's even another challenge considering the amount of people you're preparing for. You don't want to do anything that you'll have to pan or deep fry because it's going to take too long since you'll be doing things in batches. If you'll have access to a big grill, I would utilize that as well as focusing on items that you can bake/roast in the oven + salads. Here are some ideas that maybe you can use. To cut down on prep time, buy bottled salad dressings/marinades on sale and use those rather than make your own.

Grill:

Pork Ribs - Dry rub or marinade
Pork Loin - Same as ribs, cut into steaks then grill and slice
Veggies - Asparagus, Peppers, Onions, and Zucchini are fairly quick and easy. Just toss with salt, pepper, olive oil, and balsamic
Shrimp - Get the ones with the shell still on, marinate in Italian Dressing or Olive Oil, lemon, salt and pepper
Tri-tip Steaks - Dry rub or marinade, grill and slice

Hot Stovetop Items:

Chili
Stew
Curry
Stroganoff

Hot Oven Items:

Baked Chicken Wings/Drumettes
Casserole
Baked Pasta
Mac 'n Cheese
Ham

Salads:

Potato Salad
Pea Salad
Pasta Salad
Macaroni Salad
Corn Salad
Veg. with Dip
Mixed Greens w/ assorted dressing and croutons

Old 11-12-2005, 05:30 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

ironchef, will you cater my next party?

Old 11-13-2005, 02:26 AM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasgirl
My sister is turning the big 50 on the 29th of December, so, my niece is going to have her party with New Years Eve. She has asked me for ideas.
I need ideas for finger foods and dips. She doesn't want to just do hot dogs as the 50th is a milestone. We need stuff that are not going to break the bank and that are not real time consuming to make as we both work.

Any decorating ideas are welcomed too
We're already planning on black and orange theme {Harley colors } Plus, black is the normal for over the hill.

Thanks in advance for your help!!
Texas are you making the birthday cake(s) or ordering? Do you need ideas in that dept & for beverages?

Re finger foods - Call around for prices from catering companies in the yellow pages. It may be less costly and time consuming than cooking for a large crowd - like party trays (hors de' houvres, deli platters, meat/cheese/fruit/seafood quiches etc.) -- or pick up platters from a local deli.

This time of year, the supermarkets are offering lots of party trays to pick up. Or deli/meat/cheese/antipasti trays or shrimp on ice can be made at home. Buy the disposable foil trays, arrange shrimp etc on the trays w cocktail sauce in the center and get bags of ice.

In the dip dept - you could buy or make mushroom pate, artichoke dips, cream cheese-based dips, etc., and assorted crackers and chips. You could arrange fruits on party pics like kabobs and have a strawberry-yogurt type dipping sauce. Or maybe a chocolate fountain for dipping fruits/nibbles.

Beverages - Don't know if you can swing champagne - so I'd go with Sangria or egg nog (this time of year), sparkling cidar. If you have a trader Joe's around - they use to sell "Two Buck Chuck".

The Chinese combo take out places are great for party food - the kind that offer one main dish (i.e. the orange sesame chicken we spoke about, beef & broccoli, etc.), fried rice and a noodle dish for about $4.00 a plate. Call the take out place and they will give you prices for making up big trays. Or check out their prices for i.e. egg rolls, dumplings, paper wrapped chicken, etc.

Re decorating - Can I talk you out of a black theme? I'd go with something festive for this time of year - like a winter wonderland in all white or white and silver. I saw an idea that was used for Oprah's 50th, if you like.

If you'd like something more substantial in the food dept, but not a lot of work:

GO Pasta: Homemade or storebought ravioli and sauce of choice. A friend made fettuccine alfredo and another fettuccine in a red sauce for her wedding (as funds were limited). Ziti or lasagna is another thought.

This time of year is ideal for turkey, ham, duck. Some markets offer - Buy one and get one free. You could do a buffet and have the turkey (etc.) sliced, mashed potato platter and a veggie platter, etc. - rolls, salad, fruit and think you can rent a huge coffee machine, where people can serve themselves.

Here are some more ideas:

http://www.restaurantfoodsathome.com...appetizers.asp
Old 11-13-2005, 09:38 AM   #14
Master Chef

Thanks so much for all your ideas!!
Old 11-13-2005, 12:30 PM   #15
Cook

Send a message via AIM to hellschef
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug
ironchef, will you cater my next party?
mine too! lol
Old 11-13-2005, 12:33 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Talking

This is a great list of ideas.
It makes me want to run out and buy invites
and throw a party!

Have a great time Texasgirl!!!
Old 11-13-2005, 12:35 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdswife
This is a great list of ideas.
It makes me want to run out and buy invites
and throw a party!

Have a great time Texasgirl!!!
Same here, pds.
Old 11-13-2005, 12:54 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Well...it's Novemember
the holidays are here and it's
a great time to throw a few.
I just have to get Paulie to agree... he's not a
party giving kind of dude. lol
Old 11-13-2005, 08:15 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Have a great time and take lots of pictures

(I just threw these in for fun - cream cheese/olive penguins w carrot beaks n feet LOL.)

Old 11-13-2005, 08:23 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Those are really cute. My grandkids would love looking at them, but wouldn't eat them. I'm sure the grownups would, tho.