"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 12-28-2015, 09:04 PM   #11
Executive Chef

I used to play concert and jazz clarinet in college.

I would like to see devilled eggs on a party buffet. Pedestrian food, but oh so good and they disappear fast, which is a sign your guests enjoy them.

Salmon spread, put some on sliced cucumbers or just set a bowl of it near the crackers.

Cheryl J's black bean and corn salad. We are serving this NY Day either with scoopers or as a salad,

Old 12-28-2015, 09:05 PM   #12
Senior Cook

Here in Italy, the New Year's dinner is traditionally zampone e lenticchie - stuffed pig's trotter with lentils. The lentils are supposed to bring you wealth. I'm ok with the lentils but not with the pig's trotter, so I'm doing roast ham instead, and we're inviting friends. I shall start with crostini . one with chopped fresh tomatoes, mozzarella and pesto, and the other with chopped chicken livers, done in butter with anchovies, onions, capers, lemon juice, white wine, parsley, then spaghetti or linguine with prawns, basil chopped, same amount of parsley, grated peel and juice of half a lemon, white wine to taste, a little chopped garlic, a good drizzle of olive oil, 1lb fresh prawns.

Cut the prawns into bite sized pieces. Chop the basil and parsley. Add the drizzle of olive oil to the pan, then add the chopped herbs, lemon zest and juice, then the prawns, and deglaze with the liquids, a little garlic if you like. Have it all ready to toss the pasta into, and serve very hot.
Panettone - traditional for both Christmas and New Year. On New Year's Day morning I shall be watching the New Year's concert from Vienna. All washed down with a nice champagne.

Happy New Year to everybody!

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

Cook the pasta, and in the meantime

Old 12-28-2015, 10:37 PM   #13
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskadoodle View Post
I used to play concert and jazz clarinet in college.

I would like to see devilled eggs on a party buffet. Pedestrian food, but oh so good and they disappear fast, which is a sign your guests enjoy them.

Salmon spread, put some on sliced cucumbers or just set a bowl of it near the crackers.

Cheryl J's black bean and corn salad. We are serving this NY Day either with scoopers or as a salad,
Oh I soo agree with old school deviled eggs! You've given us a "flavor" of your fun friends, and casual deviled eggs would be just right. Who doesn't love deviled eggs?

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 10:46 PM   #14
Head Chef

Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
OOOOhhhh I LOVE deviled eggs... I made a tray for the NYE party at our neighbors last year and they were gone in a flash
Click image for larger version

Name:	deviled eggs.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	24078

...but I won't be making these this year, what with the price of eggs through the roof...
Old 12-28-2015, 10:58 PM   #15
Master Chef

Free range eggs are still a good buy at Trader Joes, and compared to other protein choices they're a bargain.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 05:41 AM   #16
Executive Chef

We tried a restaurant called the "Feisty Bull" and really liked the "Cuban Sandwich Egg Rolls." These would be a great party offering.

This BA chili is really good, vegetarian and probably vegan.

Black Bean, Yellow Pepper, and Cumin Chili Recipe - Bon Appétit
Old 12-29-2015, 03:17 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

I just came across this gorgeous, sun-shaped tart made with puff pastry and tapenade, served with a lemony whipped feta dip. It's gorgeous!

http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2015/...-tarte-soleil/
Old 12-29-2015, 03:32 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Janet, wasn't it you who suggested Srichacha deviled eggs a couple years ago? Maybe mix some yolks with crab meat or chopped shrimp.
Old 12-29-2015, 04:08 PM   #19
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

More great suggestions and thanks for the horse radish reminder :)

BTW - that feta tarte looks amazing - added to the menu! Also considering adding some candy cane meringues.
Old 12-29-2015, 07:11 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
More great suggestions and thanks for the horse radish reminder :)

BTW - that feta tarte looks amazing - added to the menu! Also considering adding some candy cane meringues.
Glad you like it. Did I mention it was gorgeous? I guess I thought it was pretty

I like how it's described as symbolizing the increase in sunlight since the Winter Solstice last week.

Tags
menu, new year