"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 05-11-2011, 03:03 PM   #11
Everymom

Layered dip - (someone else is bringing this)
Tortilla pinwheels
- tuna filling
- Marcia's (a cheesy piece of heaven)
- Buckytom's buffalo chicken dip rolled into tortillas and sliced
- ham/cheese, turkey cheese rolls, roast beef roll
Veggie tray - (got some healthy folks in the crowd)
Salad rolls
Stuff on toast points or sesame crackers
- liverwurst, a bit of grated onion, dill sprig
- cream cheese & hot pepper jelly
- guacamole, slice of grape tomato, bit of bacon
- _________?
Teeny weenies wrapped in bacon
Cheese chunks
Fruit chunks (yogurt dip?)
Brownies? Chocolate chip cookies? Other easy sweet idea?

All right folks, revised menu above. I need one more idea for the toast points and some input on the sweet selection. Thanks for all the help so far.

Old 05-11-2011, 04:50 PM   #12
Head Chef

I just wanted to say, I thought Braunschweiger was smoked liverwurst, like pastrami is smoked corned beef.....rrrright? It's delicious by the way.

How about some mini-buns with some meatballs, little meatball sliders?
And a plate of mini muffins, blueberry, chocolate chip, apple crumble?

Old 05-11-2011, 06:55 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

I didn't realize that braunschweiger was considered liverwurst, so am curious myself. I don't really like liverwurst, but do like braunschweiger... as long as it's Smiths. I would have to say it's an acquired taste though. I can see it being great in appys and finger foods.
Old 05-11-2011, 07:29 PM   #14
Master Chef

Site Moderator

How about something on a toothpick? Take a piece of jarred roasted red pepper, a piece of artichoke heart, and a piece of fresh mozzarella and put them on a tooth pick. You can also swap out the artichoke for a black olive on some.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:14 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Alix we love salami coated with cream cheese and chives mixed in put a small dab on the salamie put a peroncini pepper on top fold over the sala take a toothpick and hold it closed. Yum How about topping some crostini out of one of those skinny baguettes and top with Avocado, mashed, mayoand a little evoo to hold it together, crushed garlic and several dashes of Tabasco Olives marinated in evoo, orange zest OJ crushed garlic and salt and pepper, these are goodEndive boats filled part way with smoked salmon whipped cream cheese some creme fraiche some grated sweet onion lemon juice and some fresh dill. I have more ideas if you'd like them but have to run kids playing baseball.
cj
Old 05-12-2011, 01:27 AM   #16
Executive Chef

Alix... If you are going with salad rolls, I think you will need my Thai peanut sauce for dipping ;-) interested?
Old 05-12-2011, 10:31 AM   #17
Everymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebunny View Post
Alix... If you are going with salad rolls, I think you will need my Thai peanut sauce for dipping ;-) interested?
YES Please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma View Post
Alix we love salami coated with cream cheese and chives mixed in put a small dab on the salamie put a peroncini pepper on top fold over the sala take a toothpick and hold it closed. Yum How about topping some crostini out of one of those skinny baguettes and top with Avocado, mashed, mayoand a little evoo to hold it together, crushed garlic and several dashes of Tabasco Olives marinated in evoo, orange zest OJ crushed garlic and salt and pepper, these are goodEndive boats filled part way with smoked salmon whipped cream cheese some creme fraiche some grated sweet onion lemon juice and some fresh dill. I have more ideas if you'd like them but have to run kids playing baseball.
cj
Awesome CJ! Keep those ideas coming and I'll pick what I can do and what I can't do now, I'll try for another party.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSoMD View Post
How about something on a toothpick? Take a piece of jarred roasted red pepper, a piece of artichoke heart, and a piece of fresh mozzarella and put them on a tooth pick. You can also swap out the artichoke for a black olive on some.
Dave, YUMMY! Now I just have to buy toothpicks...I'll definitely try this one.

Blissful, I like the mini muffin idea, but I don't have a mini muffin tin. I'd have to buy that. I'm considering being lazy on the dessert end of things and buying a box of those mini cream puffs at Costco, and a box of two bite brownies.
Old 05-12-2011, 10:47 AM   #18
Everymom

Just realized I can't edit old posts anymore...LOL! So, reposting my menu as I revise it with your thoughts. I have confirmed 10 and there are about 6 who have not yet replied.

- Layered dip - (someone else is bringing this)
- Plate of Tortilla pinwheels (Marcia's (a cheesy piece of heaven), Buckytom's buffalo chicken dip rolled into tortillas and sliced, ham/cheese, turkey cheese rolls, roast beef roll)
- Veggie tray - (got some healthy folks in the crowd)
Plate of toothpicked items and stuff on toast points or sesame crackers (liverwurst, a bit of grated onion, dill sprig - guacamole, slice of grape tomato, bit of bacon - Teeny weenies wrapped in bacon - Cheese chunks - olive, red pepper, mozza sticks - salami, cream cheese, chives and pepper on a toothpick)
- Brownies, profiteroles
Old 05-12-2011, 01:15 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Alix, I don''t know how you feel about stuffed mushrooms but this is easy you just clean and de-stem the mushrooms then fill the cavity with HIT pork sausage (Jimmy Dean) mound the sausage in the mushroom Bake on ungreased cookie sheet at 350 for 30 min just before baking sprinkle the tops with parmesan.Put a block of cream cheese on a pretty plate and to with Pick a peppa sauce pit fully cooked sausage of your choice in a chafing dish filled with a warm dry white wine Make sure to have a lot of toothpicks,Spread thin slices of pumpernickle withcamembert or brie and pop in the oven to melt cheese the top with sweet crispy apple or pear make the slice thin. Hope this help it's fun
cj
Old 05-12-2011, 01:46 PM   #20
Everymom

OMG - stuffed mushrooms! YES! OK, do you have a recipe for the cheesy stuffed ones too?