"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 02-08-2012, 03:44 PM   #11
Head Chef

I like the salad nicoise suggestion with a light soup.

Old 02-08-2012, 03:52 PM   #12
Head Chef

Spring makes me think of asparagus! So asparagus in either dish would make me a very happy "lady who lunches".

We are fed by a food industry which pays no attention to health, and healed by a health industry that pays no attention to food - Wendell Berry
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 04:24 PM   #13
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlot View Post
Cream of broccoli soup with asiago/ roast beef sandwich
Same, where the heck did I get "sandwich" from the title
Old 02-08-2012, 07:32 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

my daughter in law is coming for her bday lunch. we are both on diets. so tomato basil bisque and green salad with sautéed shrimp. probably romaine, artichoke hearts, grape tomatoes, hard boiled egg slices. purple onions and mushrooms. will serve home made oriental dressing (very low calories) on the side. perhaps you could just increase ingredients to serve more people.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:48 PM   #15
Master Chef

Avgolemeno or Cream of Asparagus soup.

Spinach, bacon, red onion and some asparagus tips or hard boiled egg slices.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:07 PM   #16
Sous Chef

I laughed at all the sandwiches, and yet... I WOULD rather have a sandwich with soup or a sandwich with salad... than soup and salad... however, have to work with the assignment given. Going back to read all again. Thanks for suggestions!!
Old 02-08-2012, 11:34 PM   #17
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
How many pairings are you planning?
What are your facilities for preparing/reheating?
It'll be the same for all... 175 bridge players. That eliminates seafood, probably... Church kitchen, adequate for preparing and serving for 300. Reasonably good budget. They will expect something a little fancy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
It's soup and SALAD pairings. I like a combo of light and heavier in either direction.

Vichyssoise and a simple Arugula Salad with shaved parmesan and a lemon vinaigrette

Tomato Consomme with a Salad Nicoise
These are great ideas... I like the light and heavy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ Mikey View Post
Don't know why I was thinking sandwiches, perhaps because it was lunch time here.

Can't go wrong with a Spinach salad w/ hard boiled egg, bacon, shaved carrot, tomato, and honey french dressing.

Also, I personally like a chopped salad with bleu cheese crumbles, tomato, croutons (or potato sticks) and aged balsamic.
I just saw a salad pictured with root vegetable sticks - I love the Terra Chips - didn't know they came in "stick" form... It looked so good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
Don't worry, Mikey, we all got it wrong!

I agree with Jenny with the heavier/light parings but again, since it is spring you don't want to go too heavy.

Potato & Leek Soup with a nice apple slaw works well
Cheese Tortellini (broth) Soup with a Caesar salad
Chicken Noodle with a garden salad containing tomatoes, cucumbers, etc.
Vegetable or Minestrone with a BLT Salad and ranch dressing.
I think ALL of these would be well received by this group.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
I am not big on creamy soups, but recently somebody asked me to make it for about 100 people. Instead I made vegetable soup and pureed the whole thing, people loved it. It was creamy without the cream. And in April it would be nice to have baby greens or a spring mix, I think it’s called, with some vinegrate dressing.
I'm trying to imagine the vegetable soup pureed... I like the idea of creamy soup with cream. And spring mix -- yes -- always good value there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
my daughter in law is coming for her bday lunch. we are both on diets. so tomato basil bisque and green salad with sautéed shrimp. probably romaine, artichoke hearts, grape tomatoes, hard boiled egg slices. purple onions and mushrooms. will serve home made oriental dressing (very low calories) on the side. perhaps you could just increase ingredients to serve more people.
That sounds super-good. So many choices in so little time. I love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
Avgolemeno or Cream of Asparagus soup.

Spinach, bacon, red onion and some asparagus tips or hard boiled egg slices.
I had to look up "avgolemeno" Interesting. I don't think it would appeal to the bridge ladies, though. Cream of Asparagus would be good, though, which also made me think of an avocado soup I did recently that was SOO good. But for that many, avocados would be a pain.

THANK YOU everybody for so many responses so quickly!
Old 02-09-2012, 07:52 AM   #18
Senior Cook

Location: Central Kentucky---Where The Bluegrass Meets The Mountains
Many years ago, in Boston, there was a Viennese type cafe that served a sort of shrimp-louis salad, that I've adapted. This would pair nicely with a petit marmit, or even just a plain consume.

For each serving you'll need several asparagus spears, two or three large shrimp, a few black olives, hard-boiled egg, cut in quarters, and Louis dressing.

Steam the asparagus, poach the shrimp. Then lay them out stylishly on the plate. How you do this depends on the shape and size of the plate. But, in general, you want the asparagus in a bunch, with the shrimp arranged prettily on top of it. Garnish with the egg wedges and olives.

Nap the shrimp and part of the asparagus with Louis dressing. Have extra dressing available on the side.

One nice thing about this dish is that all the cooking can be done ahead of time, leaving only assembly for service.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:47 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Bridge Lunch: A Bit Different Mediterranean Lunches

Hi Sharon,

I had seen this post earlier today, however, I just arrived home a few minutes ago, and needed to weigh the options a bit.

Here are some suggestions that have not been mentioned. Many of the ideas, are very lovely. I just did not wish to repeat same ... Thought about " these ladies wish to have something special, innovative, new and different " ... something they cannot eat at home or make.

Here goes my list:

a) Salads;

1) Malaysian Fusion Mediterranean Salad: ginger, pineapple, kiwi, bell red pepper sweet, shrimp, French string beans ( the fine thin ones ), mango, red onion, sesame seeds and coconut grated ... Olive oil and rasberry vinaigrette.

2) Caramelized Onion Coulis, roasted walnuts with semi melted Goat Cheese on bed of Arugula, radicchio, bibb, Rumanian and endive with E.V. Olive Oil Vinaigrette with Rasberry.

3) Cous Cous salad with shrimp and spear mint or mint served with Mediterranean Vinaigrette, cherry tomato and black olives, Kalamatas.

4) Cold poached salmon with dill sour cream or crème fraîche on a bed of watercress, arugula and radicchio with E.V. Olive Oil Vinaigrette with Rasberry.

5) Indian style Chicken or Shrimp on a bed of arugula, watercress and radicchio with Mango Relish and a Vinaigrette.

6) Green Melon wrapped in Proscuitto di Parma served on a bed of cold green melon gazpacho or A bed of salad greens with Vinaigrette.

7) Provencal Salad: sweet red bell pep., Montrachet or similar Goat cheese, olive oil, sprig of thyme, arugula, radicchio, zucchini or cucumber and Kalamatas or Nicoise Black Olives, cherry tomatoes, croutóns home made with garlic and oregano and vinaigrette.

b) cream soups or soups:

1) Parsnip & Carrot Cream with walnut and pinenut Pesto

2) Green Asparagus and White Asparagus cream with a hazel nut pesto garnish

3) Almond, White Grape and Garlic cream with a whole peeled shrimp for garnish served in huge Martini Stemware ( served chilled or room temperature )

4) A Manhattan Clam Chowder with a garnish of Clam in Shell with lemon drizzled

5) Beetroot cream

6) Vichy

7) Gazpacho of tomato served in huge Martini glasses with garnishes and a celery stalk; in Spanish colorful bowls on each table: croutóns, minced garlic, minced onion, bell green pep and red bell pep ( each woman can sprinkle her own Gazpacho )

Best of luck with your event.

*** One more thing: I still believe a seafood paella for the engagement would be a block buster ... serve in little earthenware tapa portions ... The visual is impacting and the aromas of saffron, seafood / fish and the Arborio rice ... It is such a gorgeous dish.

Kind regards.
Margi Cintrano.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:46 PM   #20
Master Chef

Now I'm starving and wish I could be a guest at your luncheon, Sharon!

I don't have any better ideas than have been presented, but I would vote for Tomato Basil soup and this salad from HF. Thinking of how delicious it sounds, I can picture how beautiful all the colors would be. I think the pairing would be perfect, somewhat simple and quite elegant.
Good luck and let us know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoricFoodie View Post
Many years ago, in Boston, there was a Viennese type cafe that served a sort of shrimp-louis salad, that I've adapted. This would pair nicely with a petit marmit, or even just a plain consume.

For each serving you'll need several asparagus spears, two or three large shrimp, a few black olives, hard-boiled egg, cut in quarters, and Louis dressing.

Steam the asparagus, poach the shrimp. Then lay them out stylishly on the plate. How you do this depends on the shape and size of the plate. But, in general, you want the asparagus in a bunch, with the shrimp arranged prettily on top of it. Garnish with the egg wedges and olives.

Nap the shrimp and part of the asparagus with Louis dressing. Have extra dressing available on the side.

One nice thing about this dish is that all the cooking can be done ahead of time, leaving only assembly for service.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
salad, soup