"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-17-2013, 04:02 PM   #561
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,034
At our Angell Memorial Hospital for Animals, (MSPCA) if you don't own your own home and just rent, you have to provide a notarized letter from your landlord giving you permission for you to have an animal. And you have to bring an approved (by them) leash and harness (no collar) to bring home a dog. An approved (again by them) carrier for a cat. It must be roomy enough for the cat to turn around in.
__________________

__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 04:20 PM   #562
Master Chef
 
FrankZ's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Chesapeake Bay
Posts: 9,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskadoodle View Post
My shelter made me prove my already cat at home was up to date w/ her shots before I could adopt the baby. And a whole bunch of rigamarole. Not allow the cats outdoors, no de clawing, No dogs, even though the shelter adopted out dogs too. I forget what all. I guess they have different rules everywhere. Then, I still had to bring her in for some other shot(s) when she got bigger, cuz she was too young / didn't weigh enough at the time . My Vet, My dime, not theirs. Well, of course she can go outside, what are they thinking. And my two are great friends w/ Dx's dog.
The amount of... stuff... that some shelters want you to go through is insane.

A friend on mine and his wife wanted to get a dog. One place they went to handed them a 10 page questionnaire style application that had five pages of "rules and requirements" with it.

They ended up going elsewhere.
__________________

__________________
"First you start with a pound of bologna..."
-My Grandmother on how to make ham salad.
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 04:44 PM   #563
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post

The amount of... stuff... that some shelters want you to go through is insane.

A friend on mine and his wife wanted to get a dog. One place they went to handed them a 10 page questionnaire style application that had five pages of "rules and requirements" with it.

They ended up going elsewhere.
I hear ya. My HS questionaire asked if I'd had pets before, how many, and what happened to them. Yes. 10 +. Died of old age.
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 06:31 PM   #564
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
We should have been told what they actually needed to do. They said they only needed to do a shot, not the feline leukemia test too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
There were SO many kitties at the Shelter. Mina looked like Jez, so we could picture them as a matched set. Plus, Mina did not hiss at the other kitties. We believe that she saved it for meeting Jez. :) Also, Mina only speaks with her claws.

Addie. she is a girl. Three years old and weighs 8 pounds. Very timid unless confronted, but will throw down if needed.
Mina is a beautiful girl! Thanks for the pic!
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 08:05 PM   #565
Cupcake
 
Kathleen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Mid-Atlantic, USA
Posts: 2,315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskadoodle View Post
Frank and Kathy , The two girls and I are very excited for your bringing home Mina yesterday. Congratulations !
Thanks! ~Kathleen

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
They had you bring home an untested cat when you have a cat at home?
I know! My reaction was a little unprintable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskadoodle View Post
My shelter made me prove my already cat at home was up to date w/ her shots before I could adopt the baby. And a whole bunch of rigamarole. Not allow the cats outdoors, no de clawing, No dogs, even though the shelter adopted out dogs too. I forget what all. I guess they have different rules everywhere. Then, I still had to bring her in for some other shot(s) when she got bigger, cuz she was too young / didn't weigh enough at the time . My Vet, My dime, not theirs. Well, of course she can go outside, what are they thinking. And my two are great friends w/ Dx's dog.
Many years ago, when I was living in Virginia, I went to the shelter and wanted to adopt this huge big orange cat. The landlord would allow cats as a pet IF they were declawed. The shelter refused to allow it. They destroyed the cat rather than give him to me knowing he would be declawed. In retrospect, I could have lied, but they had post visitations so my naivety and youth made me feel that I could not side-step them. If I knew then what I know now....uh, sure....no problem. Gimme the kitty.

While we waited to get Mina back, a puppy foster "mom" was bitterly complaining that the people who adopted her last puppy never returned her calls. I'm guessing those calls are early and often. I admire those who foster animals, but I don't wish to adopt the foster human along with my pet. Perhaps that is selfish of me, but I would not do it to someone who adopted a pet that I was fostering.
__________________
A little bit Ginger. A little bit Mary Ann.
Kathleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 08:21 PM   #566
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post

While we waited to get Mina back, a puppy foster "mom" was bitterly complaining that the people who adopted her last puppy never returned her calls. I'm guessing those calls are early and often. I admire those who foster animals, but I don't wish to adopt the foster human along with my pet. Perhaps that is selfish of me, but I would not do it to someone who adopted a pet that I was fostering.
The lady who found Latté tried to make visitation rights part of her giving Latté up. Shrek told her, "No!' and handed the kitten back, she relented and let us have her with no strings attached. What did she think, we would be fixing kitten teriyaki with her? The most spoiled cat I ever had. Occurs to me she (Latté) is 12 this year
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 11:17 PM   #567
Master Chef
 
FrankZ's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Chesapeake Bay
Posts: 9,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post

The lady who found Latté tried to make visitation rights part of her giving Latté up. Shrek told her, "No!' and handed the kitten back, she relented and let us have her with no strings attached. What did she think, we would be fixing kitten teriyaki with her? The most spoiled cat I ever had. Occurs to me she (Latté) is 12 this year
The agreement with the shelter says we can't breed, fight or sell the cat. It does not say we can't eat it.

__________________
"First you start with a pound of bologna..."
-My Grandmother on how to make ham salad.
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 11:52 PM   #568
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post

The agreement with the shelter says we can't breed, fight or sell the cat. It does not say we can't eat it.

Can't fight the cat? Send it back I say! What good is a cat if you can't fight it?

Oh good gravy.
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 12:00 AM   #569
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
The agreement with the shelter says we can't breed, fight or sell the cat. It does not say we can't eat it.

Now's the time to get that brine out...cats are too dry.
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 08:24 AM   #570
Master Chef
 
FrankZ's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Chesapeake Bay
Posts: 9,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Oh good gravy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Now's the time to get that brine out...cats are too dry.
Or just the gravy as already suggested.
__________________

__________________
"First you start with a pound of bologna..."
-My Grandmother on how to make ham salad.
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.