"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 11-07-2011, 01:14 PM   #41
Head Chef

It's at our house this year, so I make the meat, and others bring everything else. Saturday, I ordered and put down a deposit at the butcher for a whole beef tenderloin to pick up the day before. The butcher will trim it, cut it into two parts, and truss it. That goes on the charcoal rotisserie. And I'll roast a small turkey in the oven.

Now, while I was checking out prospects for some turkey parts to use in making up basting broth and gravy ahead of time, I saw turkey tails, which my grocery hasn't been carrying before. They're so cheap, I figured to use them. But now that I look around, I see so many good sounding recipes for tails and so many compliments on the meat, I might have to buy double and make one batch up braised. Kind of reminds my of my young adulthood when we would get together and buy a bunch of chicken backs, because they nearly gave them away, but they had that perfect "oyster" meat part.

Old 11-07-2011, 01:37 PM   #42
Wine Guy

In all my years, I have never once hosted Thanksgiving dinner, or even so much as cooked a turkey (my least favorite meat). We've always had it at one of the other family member's houses. My wife has always said it's my one day off from cooking. :)

This year, that's changed. My sis-in-law usually hosts it their house, but was unable to do so this year, and asked if I would mind taking it over. "Ok, sure," I said.

So I guess I'd better bone up on turkey cookery.

Old 11-07-2011, 06:24 PM   #43
Chef Extraordinaire

LOL Steve. You could smoke a turkey or you could just serve up the paella you made and throw some smoked turkey in it (or smoked turkey sausage or venison sausage!). You don't have to make turkey. Since you are starting a new "tradition" by hosting at your house, you could do the "Non-Traditional" T'day theme.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:11 PM   #44
Master Chef

I was not going to cook a turkey this year but I was in Wegman's and they had them for 49 cents a pound with a twenty five dollar purchase including the cost of the turkey.

Here we go again!
Old 11-08-2011, 11:07 AM   #45
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
LOL Steve. You could smoke a turkey or you could just serve up the paella you made and throw some smoked turkey in it (or smoked turkey sausage or venison sausage!). You don't have to make turkey. Since you are starting a new "tradition" by hosting at your house, you could do the "Non-Traditional" T'day theme.
All true. I'm not really the traditional type anyway. But nevertheless, I thought I would give it a stab. My sister-in-law recently lost both her brother and brother-in-law to illnesses. I think that her losses have taken the wind out of her sails and that's why she is reluctant to host this year. She is a very traditional gal, so I thought I would try to keep the traditional aspects for her benefit.
Old 11-08-2011, 11:16 AM   #46
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
All true. I'm not really the traditional type anyway. But nevertheless, I thought I would give it a stab. My sister-in-law recently lost both her brother and brother-in-law to illnesses. I think that her losses have taken the wind out of her sails and that's why she is reluctant to host this year. She is a very traditional gal, so I thought I would try to keep the traditional aspects for her benefit.

It might be helpful to your SIL if you tried to involve her a little in the preparation for Thanksgiving. Kind of a therapy to make her feel better.
Old 11-08-2011, 11:21 AM   #47
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
It might be helpful to your SIL if you tried to involve her a little in the preparation for Thanksgiving. Kind of a therapy to make her feel better.
Yes, definitely call her and ask for her opinion and assist. She needs to know she is still needed, even if she can't handle it all.
Old 11-08-2011, 01:21 PM   #48
Assistant Cook

Gravy

Okay, so I'm doing my first Thanksgiving, and luckily it'll be a small, no stress affair, but I was wondering about gravy recipes. I've watched my mother make a simple gravy in the pan after the turkey comes out with flour and gravy master--but I'm wondering how other people do their gravy because this is my first time doing it--not just watching.

Any suggestions?
Old 11-08-2011, 01:41 PM   #49
Certified Pretend Chef

That's the basic process. The fat and bits stuck to the pan are the basis for traditional turkey gravy. Gravy Master is optional.

Turkey broth provides the liquid and flour is the thickener. Seasonings can consist of anything you like but traditionally some garlic and sage are good additions.
Old 11-08-2011, 01:46 PM   #50
Head Chef

Looks like I may not make it home this year. Its still possible but I don't think so.