"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 11-16-2011, 06:40 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Who is having a non-turkey Thanksgiving?

i'd like to hear from folks whose thanksgiving meal will be anything BUT turkey this year. there will only be the two of us (me and my mom) at home for thanksgiving this year. i need help with ideas of what to serve on the big day--something special, but not necessarily traditional. last year we had roast duckling, always a winner. this year, we'll have our duck around christmas time. i'm thinking about lamb, also about a pork roast, lobster tails, and prime rib. does anyone have a really extra special vegetable dish that you would share here? a vegetable or side dish with a real "wow" factor? since i'm still so undecided one week from thanksgiving, my thought is to try something totally new and different, one really spectacular dish that will go with any main course that i will ultimately choose for our little thanksgiving table....all ideas welcome and appreciated....

Old 11-16-2011, 07:18 PM   #2
Master Chef

I was going with stuffed pork chops but, then ended up buying a turkey because they were so cheap. I will end up putting most of it in the freezer.

I don't really know any wow vegetables but, a stuffed acorn squash might be good for two people. They can be stuffed with a rice sausage mixture as a main dish or a lighter stuffing as a side dish.

Old 11-16-2011, 07:44 PM   #3
Executive Chef

wow, you have more energy than I do LOL

I am doing a honey baked ham simply because it is the oldest resident in the freezer that could be a candidate for the Thanksgiving table. And I usually serve a modest meal. Ham, scalloped potatoes, mash sweet potatoes, green beans and a dessert, probably an apple crisp. Will have 4 singles for dinner; 3 recent widows/widowers and my cousin who is single by choice
Old 11-16-2011, 07:52 PM   #4
Executive Chef

stuffed pork chops--that just might be the perfect answer for us! homemade bread dressing has always been our favorite part of the "turkey meal". we can stuff two nice butterfly pork chops, and bake a huge batch of dressing on the side (for later), oh yess....

i've never made any winter squash dishes myself, though i like them. that project will be for another, future event....

thanks, bea. just today, i turned away, half-disappointed, from an offer for 39c per lb thanksgiving turkeys. it is always so tempting, but i almost always pass on it. i have to remind myself that neither i nor my mom particularly like turkey, excepting for later-tetrazzini and such, and great turkey 'n stuffing sammies....but it's still difficult, every year, to walk away from that $5.00 turkey the week before thanksgiving!!:(
Old 11-16-2011, 08:15 PM   #5
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
I have NO idea yet what I am doing, but leaning towards Indian food. . .maybe a nice Lamb roganjosh, some somosas, some nice garlicy flatbreads. . .still up in the air.
Old 11-17-2011, 01:25 AM   #6
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

We are having a meatloaf, stroganoff style with egg noodles. Steamed broccoli and pumpkin custard. I will also make some dressing, just because we like it.
Old 11-17-2011, 07:22 AM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
We are having a meatloaf, stroganoff style with egg noodles. Steamed broccoli and pumpkin custard. I will also make some dressing, just because we like it.

comfort food for thanksgiving, i like that! and a homemade dressing is the way to go too! i'm going to buy a package of chicken giblets and hearts and make a bread-based giblet dressing. pf, do you make your own pumpkin custard?
Old 11-17-2011, 07:54 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I have no idea what I'll have for Thanksgiving. I won't get a turkey until it's on sale and I have enough room in the freezer for the leftovers at the same time.

I may, however, make up a batch of plain stuffing (butter, celery, onion, white bread, turkey stock, and poultry seasoning). I'd like to get some Bell's seasoning, but haven't found it so far.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 08:07 AM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
I have no idea what I'll have for Thanksgiving. I won't get a turkey until it's on sale and I have enough room in the freezer for the leftovers at the same time.

I may, however, make up a batch of plain stuffing (butter, celery, onion, white bread, turkey stock, and poultry seasoning). I'd like to get some Bell's seasoning, but haven't found it so far.

you have turkey stock, zee? i wish that came in a can or box, ready to buy....
Old 11-17-2011, 09:18 AM   #10
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I would enjoy preparing a non traditional Thanksgiving dinner. If I were a single man, I would. Mrs Hoot really enjoys the Thanksgiving time of year and she hesitates to stray from tradition. As I love her with all my heart, I have no wish to dampen, in any way, her enjoyment. I must admit that while I, too, enjoy putting together a dinner with all the traditional fixin's, variety is the spice of life.