"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 08-22-2012, 10:24 AM   #21
Head Chef

A diet that includes absolutely no carbs is boring and probably not good for your health. A low carb diet--one that includes plenty of fresh veggies, some fruit, very few grains or starchy vegetables, and no sugar, is easy, healthy, and with a good imaginative cook, can be delicious.

That is what I have been doing for the last 2 years--I am down almost 70 pounds, feel great, and all those numbers that the doc has been yelling about are at normal levels.

I know that this is not a 'diet'--if I go back to eating too many carbs, I WILL develop complications from diabetes--this is just the way I eat now.

I try to keep my carbs below 30 grams per meal, with a few left over for an ocasional treat.

Old 08-22-2012, 10:28 AM   #22
Head Chef

Oh, back to the marinade question--as long as it doesn't have sugar in it, I wouldn't even think about it. There are low-carb beers--unfortunately, those are also the low flavor beers.

Old 08-22-2012, 10:44 AM   #23
Certified Pretend Chef

Regular beer (the kind I keep in the house) is high in carbs. In the initial stages of the diet she has to limit herself to some super low amount of carbs to get on the right track then can up the amount of carbs for the next phase.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:36 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I followed the Atkins diet for about two years. Stirling did too. I lost about 50 lbs that I needed to lose. We both felt and looked healthy.

We got kinda tired of low carb and went back to eating pasta and rice and bread, etc.

Before we started the Atkins diet we had had our cholesterol, etc. tested. We were both in the normal range. After about a year, we had those numbers checked again and they were even better!

I think it is good to consider your ancestry when deciding on a diet. Back on 2007-03-30 a friend of mine posted the following on LiveJournal. Stirling and I are the 'friends of Nordic extraction'.

"There was recently a discussion on my friends list (in the context of politically motivated pet abuse, I believe) about the metabolic advisedness of the low-carbohydrate diet kept by certain good friends of mine (They say: works great! Others say: you nuts!). I thought it should not go without note that both of these individuals are of, in large part, nordic extraction. By this time of year, many of their ancestors were probably reduced to eating fish heads and seal willies, because science shows that you can't make toast out of snow. And the relevance of this is that, while your ancestors may be dead now, they (generally speaking) weren't dead at the time time that they were, if I may be somewhat indelicate, ‘procreating.’ ...

"So perhaps if you and yours come from nice warm climes where olives grow on trees and clothing is optional, a low-carbohydrate diet makes about as much sense as giving up wine. But for those for whom fermenting honey was actually more convenient than fermenting grapes (what, after all, are a few bee strings when you don't have any grapes...) the situation, by which I mean the inherited metabolic situation, may be a little different.

"Of course, I may be entirely wrong, since I know essentially nothing of either human metabolic chemistry or indeed paleoclimatography"
Old 08-22-2012, 01:39 PM   #25
Certified Pretend Chef

Thanks for all the diet stories.

Anyone have any more input on the original question?
Old 08-22-2012, 03:54 PM   #26
Sous Chef

Complex carbs are just too large of a molecule to penetrate the cellular membrane through osmosis, so the only carbs are going to be what's left on the outside of the marinated food. It's really just that simple.
Old 08-22-2012, 04:40 PM   #27
Certified Pretend Chef

Thanks, I'm convinced.
Old 08-22-2012, 06:40 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

TL has met me--I'm not fat, I'm not thin. I think I'm "normal" for my height. TL can correct that. I rarely eat carbs. I eat a LOT of protein and a LOT of veggies. I don't drink soda very often (yes, I do have a Coke now and again) or add sugar to tea. I eat brown rice, rarely eat "white" stuff. I don't snack on crackers, chips, sweets. I eat a hearty breakfast every day, but it doesn't include bread or sausage, bacon, or ham.