"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 10-11-2010, 09:58 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

How do you get pre-schoolers to eat more fruits and vegetables?

We all know that we are supposed to eat at least five fruits and vegetables per day in order to maintain good health. The burning question is how do you get kids to eat more fruits and vegetables, especially when they may only want to eat hamburgers, sweets and potato chips and you are not supposed to force kids to 'clean their plate' or make meals a power struggle? I would like to receive some advice, recipes and tips in this regard as I have a 4 year old that hates veggies!

Old 10-11-2010, 02:29 PM   #2
Sous Chef

When I was a kid (in the 1950's) we ate what mom put in front of us. If we didn't eat it - we just didn't get anything else. Mom put healthy food on the table, and we ate it.

We never had potato chips, store bought cookies or soda pop in the house. Occasionally mom baked a cake or batch of cookies, but it was a special treat. There was no such thing as dessert every day.

I'm of the belief that most of our kids eating problems are caused because parents forget that they are in charge.

Old 10-11-2010, 02:59 PM   #3
Half Baked

I agree. My kids prefer fruit and veggies now to alot of other foods.

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 03:05 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

Lead by example.

Don't give them a choice.
Old 10-11-2010, 05:23 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversage View Post
When I was a kid (in the 1950's) we ate what mom put in front of us. If we didn't eat it - we just didn't get anything else. Mom put healthy food on the table, and we ate it.

We never had potato chips, store bought cookies or soda pop in the house. Occasionally mom baked a cake or batch of cookies, but it was a special treat. There was no such thing as dessert every day.

I'm of the belief that most of our kids eating problems are caused because parents forget that they are in charge.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M
Lead by example.

Don't give them a choice.

Nuff said!!!!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 05:43 PM   #6
Master Chef

Make the fruit easy to eat. Pull the grapes off the stems, cut up the apples, pears, etc. Leave it out to graze on. There are many cook books available with recipes that "hide" veggies and fruit in other foods. My guys always liked the little boxes of raisins. Make it fun. Give them a choice but you provide the options, apples or bananas, carrots or celery. Cookies and chips are no longer options.
Old 10-11-2010, 05:44 PM   #7
Everymom

Ants on a log, monkey bars, have fun with it. My kids like to play with their food. LOL!
Old 10-11-2010, 06:03 PM   #8
Head Chef

Serve fresh cut-up fruit with a peanut butter dip or yogurt dip (plain yogurt with a little honey added or with slightly sweetened fresh strawberry puree, etc.)

Make a yogurt sundae - Take parfait glasses and layer them with yogurt (use mixtures I just listed above or yogurt flavor of choice), fresh fruit, unsalted chopped nuts, granola, etc.

This is a great fruit snack - kids (and adults) love it:
TIKE TREAT: (I use orange juice):
Tike Treat Recipe - Food.com - 96676
Old 10-11-2010, 06:04 PM   #9
Flour Child

FRUIT:
Use a melon baller for fruit...kids love balls. Core an apple, slice it, and call them apple donuts. Have them prepare a colorful fruit salad themselves using the melon baller and various colorful berries (raspberries blueberries blackberries strawberries)...they love eating what they've made themselves.

VEGGIES:
Make a yogurt dip for them to dip their veggies in. Parboil them (like carrots and brocolli) and refrigerate instead of serving them completely raw.

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
mollyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 06:18 PM   #10
Head Chef

Here's another great idea:
Apple Cartwheels:
Apple Cartwheels Recipe | Taste of Home Recipes

For vegetables, have you tried roasted cauliflower florets, otherwise known as cauliflower popcorn? Nice and browned and a little crispy - delicious. People who hate cauliflower, love this! Here are the basic instructions:
http://www.food.com/recipe/cauliflow...iflower-115153