How to make Broccoli delicious?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Broccoli and Corn Scallop
Prep: 20 min - Total: 50 min

2 Tbsp. chopped onion
1 Tbsp. flour
1-1/4 cups milk
1 pkg. (8 oz.) KRAFT Shredded Monterey Jack Cheese
1 can (11 oz.) whole kernel corn, drained
1/2 cup crushed RITZ Crackers crumbs, divided
2 pkg. (10 oz. each) frozen broccoli spears, thawed, drained
2 Tbsp. butter or margarine, divided

COOK and stir onion in 1 Tbsp. of the butter in medium saucepan on medium heat. Blend in flour. Gradually add milk; cook, stirring constantly, until thickened. Add cheese; stir until melted. Stir in corn and 1/4 cup of the crumbs.

ARRANGE broccoli in 12x8-inch baking dish; top with sauce. Mix remaining 1/4 cup crumbs and 1 Tbsp. butter, melted. Sprinkle over sauce in baking dish.

BAKE at 350°F for 30 minutes or until thoroughly heated.

Makes 8 servings

Make-Ahead: Assemble casserole as directed; cover. Refrigerate several hours or overnight. When ready to serve, bake, uncovered, at 350°F for 45 minutes or until thoroughly heated.

welcome to DC.

I love broc in any shape or form... mostly just steamed w butter, salt and sometimes freshly grated Parm. Try squeezing some lemon juice or orange juice over the cooked broc. Add some mandarin oranges, or make a broc salad w or w/o bacon...if on a restricted diet, try turkey bacon. Hollandaise would have been another thought. Combine with roasted garlic and grilled or red chopped raw onions, & cherry tomatoes - or add roasted chestnuts or water chestnuts and sesame seeds and soy sauce. If you're a fan of bleu cheese or ranch, pour a little dressing over the combo or just some balsamic.

how about an italian broccoli salad?

blanch florets of broccoli then shock in ice water. drain, then place atop a bed of romaine lettuce. top with diced roma tomatoes, diced celery, minced raw garlic, and diced onion. dress with a lemon viniagrette.

ironchef said:
I like to blanch it and then puree it with chicken stock, then use that to make a risotto. Finish the risotto off with soft goat cheese and extra virgin olive oil.

How would you encorporate the pureed broccoli in with the risotto? Do you cook the risotto first and then add it in at the end?

This sounds really nice... i'm intrigued!

Also try topping with a mixture of breadcrumbs, fresh herbs (basil/oregano) a little olive oil and parmesan cheese. Mix these together, top your broccoli, and bake until the bread crumbs are golden brown. Sounds great. I'm going to try this one tomorrow

grumblebee said:
How would you encorporate the pureed broccoli in with the risotto? Do you cook the risotto first and then add it in at the end?

This sounds really nice... i'm intrigued!

Yeah, I cook the risotto until about 7/8th of the way done and then stir in the broccoli/stock mixture so that the risotto finishes cooking while absorbing the rest of the liquid from the puree. I then fold in the goat cheese off the heat (you don't need butter if adding the goat cheese) and then drizzle the extra virgin olive oil on top just before serving.

ironchef said:
Yeah, I cook the risotto until about 7/8th of the way done and then stir in the broccoli/stock mixture so that the risotto finishes cooking while absorbing the rest of the liquid from the puree. I then fold in the goat cheese off the heat (you don't need butter if adding the goat cheese) and then drizzle the extra virgin olive oil on top just before serving.

That sounds so good... definitely going to try this one. Thanks IronChef! (and BTW, iron chef is one of my favourite cooking shows :chef: The japanese version though - not the American one)

pdswife said:
Sounds good Bucky... how do you make the vinagrette?

pdswife, i whisk about 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice, 1/4 cup red wine vinegar, and the zest of a lemon, minced, into about 1/2 cup evoo. i also add a little thyme and oregano, and black pepper to taste. minced garlic is also a nice addition, but since i put garlic on the salad already, i didn't want to kill anyone with sulphur breath.

cristal said:
Sauted broccoli and mushrooms go really well together. I like to use a mixture of shiitakes, creminis, and oyster mushrooms, saute them with butter, garlic, and shallots, and then toss in blanced broccoli. Good stuff!
Awesome, Cristal!
I'll try this one tonight! I've got some leftover mushrooms.

Dina said:
Cook it to your liking then shock it, toss with a touch of butter, caramelized onions, fresh garlic, parmesan cheese and top with mozzarella, bake or microwave only till cheese melts.

You can also toss it with red pasta sauce and topped with your favorite melted cheeses.

Cook it in chicken stock and mix in some white rice, topped with cheddar
Thanks, Dina,
Cheese sounds great. I'll try this on weekend. I normally don't buy cheese. But you gave me a good reason to buy some.
I need to highlight the cheese words just to remind me which ones to buy :)!

Broccoli with Pine Nuts & Raisins

3/4 pound broccoli, cut into spears
1/4 cup butter or margarine
1/2 cup pine nuts
1/2 cup raisins

Heat 1 cup water to boiling in 2-quart saucepan; add broccoli. Cook about 10 minutes or until stems are crisp-tender; drain.

Melt butter in skillet. Cook pine nuts in butter over medium heat about 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until golden brown. Stir pine nuts into broccoli. Sprinkle with raisins.

-------------

4 slices bacon
2 cloves garlic
1/2 cup olive oil
1 1/2 pounds broccoli
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
2 medium-sized ripe tomatoes, diced
1/3 cup sliced almonds

Cut bacon slices into 1/2 inch pieces. Place bacon pieces in a large skillet and cook over medium heat until bacon is golden brown, stirring frequently with a wooden spoon. Using a slotted spoon, transfer cooked bacon to paper towels to drain. Set aside.

Pour off bacon fat from skillet; return 1 tablespoon bacon fat to skillet. Cut garlic cloves into very thin slivers. Add olive oil and garlic to skillet and saute until garlic is golden brown, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon.

Using a slotted spoon, remove garlic from skillet and discard. Cut broccoli into small flowerets. Trim stalks, peeling them, if desired, and cut into 1/2 inch pieces. Add broccoli flowerets and stalks to skillet with water, raisins, salt and red pepper flakes.

Cover the skillet and cook broccoli mixture for 5 minutes. Remove cover from skillet and cook 2 minutes longer or until broccoli is tender. Add tomatoes, reserved cooked bacon and sliced almonds to the skillet.

Toss broccoli mixture gently to combine. The tomatoes should become warm but should not cook completely or release their liquid. Transfer Broccoli Mixture to a serving bowl and serve immediately.

If desired, you can substitute 1 1/2 pounds of fresh whole green beans for the broccoli. Wash the beans thoroughly under cold running water; trim the beans to remove stem ends.

More Broccoli:

BROCCOLI CUSTARD BAKE

10 oz. frozen chopped broccoli, thawed and drained
1 cup sliced mushrooms
1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
6 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup ranch dressing
3 tablespoons flour

In lightly greased 1 1/2-quart casserole, gently toss together broccoli, mushrooms, and cheese.

Beat together eggs, milk, dressing, and flour until thoroughly blended. Pour over vegetables and cheese. Bake in preheated 350ºF oven until knife inserted near center comes out clean, about 40 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.

Back
Top Bottom