"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 06-12-2006, 06:38 PM   #11
Executive Chef

On your first answer, yes, I thought so.

As for your 2nd suggestion, unfortunately, that doesn't work with me. The more of those things I eat, the more the system suffers that metobolic imbalance.

I DO have some Beano somewhere around the house, but I can't find it, so I'm going top have to get some more.

~Corey123.

Old 06-12-2006, 06:50 PM   #12
Head Chef

There are two kinds of fiber, insoluble and soluble.

Insoluble is found in wheat, rye, bran, and other grains and in most vegetables. "Insoluble" means it does not dissolve in water. It also cannot be used by intestinal-colon bacteria as a food source, so these beneficial bacteria generally do not grow and produce intestinal gas.

Soluble fiber dissolves in water forming a gelatinous substance in your body and is found in things such as oatmeal, oat bran, fruit, psyllium (Metamucil, Konsyl), barley & legumes. Soluble fiber also seems to bind up cholesterol allowing it to be eliminated. If enough is removed it can lower the blood cholesterol 10-15%.

The down side of soluble fiber is that it can be metabolized by gas forming bacteria in the colon. These bacteria are harmless but for those who have an intestinal gas or flatus problem it is probably best to avoid or carefully test soluble fibers to see if they are contributing to intestinal gas.

Whenever possible, both soluble and insoluble fiber should be eaten on a daily basis.

Z

Old 06-12-2006, 07:11 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Yes, I heard that oatmeal, wheat and bran are good sources for absorbing and eliminating the bad cholesterol in the body, especially for the heart, the main motor that pumps the blood.

But I still eat those things because they are a proven source of fiber promoting good health and eating habits.

~Corey123.
Old 06-12-2006, 08:38 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey123
I was wondering this, as i heard somewhere that it is.

It's very low in carbs, has 0 cholesterol and very little sodium, but the thing that I'm worried about is how much starch does it contain?

Your thoughts, please.

~Corey123.
Corey,
one of the things to do is check the label on the bread, it will tell you the amount of carbs and sugar per slice. You want as low as possibe and sugar 3grams. or less..I won't keep beating you over the head with this but, if you test, you will know how much is to much with sugars and starch. We tend to try to cut out all pasta,rice,breads and after awhileit gets downrigh OLD count the carbs and TEST and you will learn and quickly just how much to eat. You could chase yourself forever trying to get pizza sauce or crust low-sugar, it's how much of that crust that you eat that makes the diff! I myself can handle about 1-1/2 slices of pizza and be fine, anymore and the b/g goes up..So reg is allowed if you learn to count carbs and watch portions. Also, I should have said earlier, I try to stay away from white flours and eat wheat, or grain breads, I feel they are healthier,but I think they taste better. okay enough I'll leave you alone

kadesma
Old 06-12-2006, 09:56 PM   #15
Executive Chef

I've done that before I bought it.

~Corey123.
Old 06-13-2006, 04:11 AM   #16
Executive Chef

Another good thing about the high fiber foods is the fact that when they pass thru they take junk with them out of the system. Our colonoscopy doctor (can't remember the name) told me to take phayzyme if all the fibrous stuff causes gas or bloating. It really seems to work and no side effects of that. She said you can take several if you need to, but they are a bit costly and I haven't needed it but a couple of times.
Old 06-13-2006, 05:25 AM   #17
Executive Chef

I'll try it.

Corey123.
Old 06-13-2006, 03:26 PM   #18
Master Chef

Corey, I sympathise. Husband tries to go for more whole grains, but often when we look at the carb counts to keep the numbers right, there are more carbs. It is very frustrating. The fact is you cannot get all the numbers right. Something that is perfect for your high cholesterol may be terrible for your diabetes and disasterous for your liver or kidneys or .... you have to balance. I do most of the shopping myself, and have a guideline for #of carbs per serving (husband is doing well with 30/30/60 for meals, and fruit snacks of about 15 3 or 4 times a day). So I buy him a loaf of bread that has I think 13 per slice. It isn't whole grain, but it fits in with his diet better than most of the whole grains do. I definitely is a juggling act!
Old 06-13-2006, 05:57 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire
Corey, I sympathise. Husband tries to go for more whole grains, but often when we look at the carb counts to keep the numbers right, there are more carbs. It is very frustrating. The fact is you cannot get all the numbers right. Something that is perfect for your high cholesterol may be terrible for your diabetes and disasterous for your liver or kidneys or .... you have to balance. I do most of the shopping myself, and have a guideline for #of carbs per serving (husband is doing well with 30/30/60 for meals, and fruit snacks of about 15 3 or 4 times a day). So I buy him a loaf of bread that has I think 13 per slice. It isn't whole grain, but it fits in with his diet better than most of the whole grains do. I definitely is a juggling act!

I think also, that it depends on the brand of whole-grain bread that you buy as well. And you're right, part of it IS balance.

You have to weigh and test the waters - meaning that you must juggle between having a little more carbs and a little more of other things like starch and sugars.

I'm not so much watching carbs, as my doctor said no to a low-carb diet when I asked him about it. The key elements that I must control are starch, fats and sugars.

I've been having at least 2 slices of whole-grain bread in the morning with a
smear of low-cal spread. I would then have a bowl of high-fiber cereal with about 4 oz. 1% milk.

But I just saw a commerial on TV now advetising whole-grain tortillas. That might be something to look into.

~Corey123.