"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 05-16-2007, 09:45 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Question ISO food to help my child gain weight

my son is 5 years old and undrweight. he eats eveything i give him. he eats all day long but gains very little weight. he eats more then i do. what foods are the best to feed him to help him gain. any suggestion you have are helpful.
thank you.

Old 05-16-2007, 10:17 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Welcome to DC, tinkerbell.

The best source of this information is your pediatrician and a child nutritionist.

Old 05-16-2007, 10:22 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

i asked and they said feed him what you eat and what ever he wants. thank for your info.
Old 05-16-2007, 10:40 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Miss Tinkerbell...

Welcome to DC...Who diagnosed your child as underweight??

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 10:48 PM   #5
Head Chef

lol, seriously in this day and age i'd count your blessings. people are letting their kids get a little out of hand on the opposite end of the spectrum.
Old 05-16-2007, 10:54 PM   #6
Executive Chef

I think as long as he is eating it should not be a problem he just may have a high metabolism.OMG I wish I could eat like that.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:44 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
IMO if the pediatrician thinks all the child needs to do is to eat until satisfied and is getting the proper nutrition, I wouldn't worry. He'll come into his own in time, believe me. We raised 4 sons and a daughter and, when the time comes, they'll eat you out of house and home.

Seriously, though, as long as he is getting the right balance of foods, I wouldn't worry about him.

And, a someone else queried, who judged him to be underweight? Friends? Family? Many years ago, it was thought that a "fat" baby was a healthy baby. Wrong assumption. It would be helpful if you could give us a little more background information. Still, his doctor is the best source of advice.
Old 05-17-2007, 07:23 AM   #8
Master Chef

If he likes it, dairy products can help. A big glass of milk, chunks of cheese. But I'm with everyone else; if your doctor says he's OK, don't worry about it. Whatever you do, don't get the child hooked on junk food, chips, candy, etc. He won't thank you for in in 20 years!
Old 05-17-2007, 08:33 AM   #9
Head Chef

Both my boys are also in the same boat. While my older one is not a big eater my younger one is. Inspite of that they don't add a lot of weight.

I am not concerned about it. I see way to many kids who have the opposite problem.

Kids especially boys are so active. My younger one does not sit put for one minute. Some of the fat is burnt by the sheer amount of activity they engage in - running around up and down in my big house, playing outside, cycling, running around all day in school etc. This helps burn all the calories.

Also they go through growth spurts where all of a sudden they eat more, grow more and then it slows down.

I actually worry that as they get older they don't swing to the other end of the spectrum by adding a lot of weight. I am not at all concerned them being on the skinny side right now.
Old 05-17-2007, 11:09 AM   #10
Master Chef

I'd give him milk shakes, ice cream, macaroni and cheese, mashed potatoes, granola...high energy foods to keep him going. Homemade oatmeal cookies with raisins and nuts would make a nice treat.