"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 02-09-2007, 11:21 PM   #11
Senior Cook

I wonder if it is oatmeal that lowers your cholesterol or the fact that you are not eating eggs and bacon in the morning that lowers it????

I love a cereal called "Sunny Boy" but lately I have had a hard time finding it so I have been eating "Red River". They contain wheat flakes, rye flakes and cracked wheat - you heat it up and eat it like you would oatmeal. I like the texture and nuttiness of this instead of the blob (can't think of a better word) of oatmeal.

Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 01:55 AM   #12
Executive Chef

Oatbran is more effective in lowering cholesterol. Last year when my cholesterol went up by a staggering 100 due perhaps to stress, I got it back to normal within a month by going on strict diet, eating oatbran for breakfast, consuming only egg whites, taking lecithin granules, drinking olive leaf tea among other things. My doc was surprised at the speed of my cholestrol reduction!!

Old 02-10-2007, 04:21 AM   #13
Executive Chef

Nice work boufa!
Old 02-10-2007, 04:29 AM   #14
Senior Cook

Aha! I have one packet of oatmeal left so you know what *I'm* having for breakfast. Unless I eat it now of course......
Old 02-10-2007, 12:32 PM   #15
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritboxer
Aha! I have one packet of oatmeal left so you know what *I'm* having for breakfast. Unless I eat it now of course......
Funny, but I was just about to go make myself a bacon and cheese omelette.

BTW, that little packet of instant oatmeal you are about to eat? It has more sugar than Fidel Castro!

If you're going to eat oatmeal, skip the little packets and buy the cardboard cannister of quick Quaker Oats, which you can cook just like you do the little packets, and then you can add your own cinnamon, apple, maple syrup, brown sugar, or even grape jelly, and still get a lot less sugar than the packets.
Old 02-10-2007, 01:06 PM   #16
Executive Chef

I need the sugar because my glucose level gets too low in the morning.

Or during the day if I go too long without eating. I'll get sick.
Old 02-10-2007, 02:59 PM   #17
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirBlue
You are someone who knows how to make oatmeal!!!

Another favourite of mine is to have chocolate protein powder and a bit of unsweetened cocoa, splenda, and maybe to stir in a few other extras like natural peanut butter. Makes for a chocolate peanut butter cup breakfast.

I also enjoy stirring frozen blueberries into 'plain' oatmeal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey123
I need the sugar because my glucose level gets too low in the morning.

Or during the day if I go too long without eating. I'll get sick.
Maybe the sugar could come from controlled and healthier sources than heavily processed junk, though...?
Old 02-10-2007, 10:20 PM   #18
Executive Chef

It's the "heavily-processed junk" at times, as you call it, that helps keep me out of danger.

If my glucose level drops too dangerously low, I start to go into a hypoglysemic attack, opposite of a hyperglysemic attack which means that your glucose level is dangerously high.

When I go grocery shopping, i have to include such things as doughnuts small cakes, candy and orange juice to keep on hand for those times when I start to feel sick.

A 12-year-old boy who lives on my street that I know, overheard me talking about this to someone and he told me that in order to stay out of danger with diabetes, I'd have to keep it in control. He's very bright and smart! i thanked him for that

Then I asked him if he's a diabetic and he said no, he just knows about it. So the disease must run in his family, I said to him. He says that besides myself, he has other friends that have it as well.

Then I told him what to do if he ever notices me starting to feel sick.

But yes, oatmeal does have a lot of benefits in fighting choledsterol. If I stay on it as part of my daily regimen diet and exercise regularly and lose some more weight, the diabetes could go away.
Old 02-10-2007, 10:34 PM   #19
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey123
It's the "heavily-processed junk" at times, as you call it, that helps keep me out of danger.

If my glucose level goes to low, I start to go into a hypoglysemic attack, opposite of a hyperglysemic attack which means that your glucose level is dangerously high.

When I go grocery shopping, i have to include such things as doughnuts small cakes, candy and orange juice to keep on hand for those times when I start to feel sick.
Yes you should have high sugar content snacks when you have an attack but to AVOID an attack you should not be eating the "heavily-processed junk".
And to avoid getting diabetes you should avoid the "heavily-processed junk". (A sedentary lifestyle, combined with a diet high in refined carbohydrates and sugary foods is largely to blame for the rapid increase in Type 2 diabetes.)

Reactive Hypoglycemia - Hypoglycemia Treatment Info
Diet and Hypoglycemia
Many times hypoglycemia can be controlled via diet. For instance, eating several (4 6) small meals throughout the day and not skipping any meals helps the body to regulate blood sugar levels. Consuming foods that are high in simple (processed) sugars should be avoided as much as possible (candy, regular sodas, alcohol, etc). Instead high-protein foods such as meat, cheese, eggs, milk, and nuts are good snacks. Also, foods with natural or complex carbohydrates (fruits, vegetables, breads), rather than sugary snacks, allows your body to better regulate blood sugar levels.

Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 11:16 PM   #20
Executive Chef

i only eat or drink those things if i start to feel sick from the glucose being too low. And I AM a Type 2 diabetics.

And BTW, two things; the nuitritionist told me to have these things standing by in case of an attack.

The other thing is, the boy that I mentioned in the above post wanted to know the difference between Type 1 and Type 2. I kindly explained it to him and told him that I hope that he never gets the disease, and that if he ever does, to do what he suggested to me..