"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 03-23-2007, 06:13 AM   #11
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbdbdb
by coriander roots... does it just mean the stalk like things at the bottom of a bunch of coriander?
Coriander (or Cilantro) root is the actual root at the base of the coriander stalk. It is white in color, though one has to first wash off all traces of soil. In Thailand it is a very common cooking ingredient, as the flavor of Coriander leaves and stems does not hold up at all when subjected to heat. Coriander root however beautifully imparts the flavor of coriander during cooking.

I must say though that the flavor one gets from coriander root is exactly that of coriander leaves/stems. In no way can it be mistaken for the taste of garlic, so I'm a bit surprised about the tip on garlic substitution.

Old 03-23-2007, 09:36 AM   #12
Assistant Cook

Smile

There is a cooking tradition which avoids both onions and garlic. Both are considered to stimulate passions, though I can't figure out how these could do that. This cuisine is followed by many Brahmins (the upper caste in India). Maybe you could google and find out more about their cooking methods.

Rask

Old 03-23-2007, 09:54 AM   #13
Head Chef

Db,

There are lots of recipes out there that don't require onion or garlic. My mom has a wonderful chicken dish using just ginger, sesame oil and black pepper. Another dish, lemon chicken uses just lemons and lemon juice concentrate for flavoring. You can do an orange chicken version too. There's also beef with red bell peppers or green bell peppers. You can do sweet sour sauce on pork, chicken or fish. Steaks are great with just S&P. I can go on and on...

I just can't think of any substitute for garlic or onion (and all its kin) that would deliver the same flavors...!
Old 03-23-2007, 10:08 AM   #14
Sous Chef

On the old Food Talk of Lynn Rosetto Kasper someone asked this and got a lot of good advice, as I recall. It is now a read only thing (having switched to THE most user unfriendly posting site on the internet). If you go to NPR.org and click on her site, you may find some things to help.
Old 03-24-2007, 02:32 AM   #15
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopstix
Db,

There are lots of recipes out there that don't require onion or garlic. My mom has a wonderful chicken dish using just ginger, sesame oil and black pepper. Another dish, lemon chicken uses just lemons and lemon juice concentrate for flavoring. You can do an orange chicken version too. There's also beef with red bell peppers or green bell peppers. You can do sweet sour sauce on pork, chicken or fish. Steaks are great with just S&P. I can go on and on...

I just can't think of any substitute for garlic or onion (and all its kin) that would deliver the same flavors...!
None of those will work for a vegetarian though... I can't imagine never being able to have either garlic or onion... I'd be looking in every imaginable direction for a cure.... but then going without meat would be even harder for me...
Old 03-25-2007, 12:35 PM   #16
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin
None of those will work for a vegetarian though...
Ooops I didn't notice the poster is a strict vegetarian. My point remains though, that there are many options for seasoning food using herbs, spices and other vegetables, just don't expect to get even nearly the same taste as garlic or onion.
Old 03-25-2007, 01:34 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
Asafoetida`s pretty close though, in fact when you smell it, Garlic/Onion is the 1`st things that jumps into mind.

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 10:35 AM   #18
Cook

Just out of curiosity, what kind of allergy? Digestive distress? Hives? Anaphylactic shock? Some allergies/sensitivities are manageable, others aren't.

I have an onion sensitivity also, and avoided them for years due to the abdominal discomfort and embarrassment to myself and those around me. If this is the case with him, have you tried supplements like Beano or GasX or something similar before eating? They've helped me a bit and I'm no longer afraid of stumbling across an onion and suffering the rest of the night (along with those around me... sorry guys!).
Old 03-29-2007, 11:04 AM   #19
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
Strange and yet Fascinating!

Normaly it`s a certain type of Fiber in foods that creates flatulance, and although onions do contain a little it seems strange for Fiber to be responsible.
Hmm...
I wonder what IS responsible?

there`s certainly a lot of Sugar(s) in them, and traces of alylisothiocyanate, and Phosphorus compounds.

You`ve got me Intrigued now :)
and no sorry neeeded, in My opnion anyway.

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 11:22 AM   #20
Executive Chef

well the flavors of onion and garlic won't be substituted for but lots of vegetables can help create texture and sauces etc. celeriac (celery root) fennel bulb, are both mild lovely vegetables...saute well, go into au gratins well, give nice flavor and texture. parsnips are sweet with a bit of a lemmony bite, saute and roast well. And of course with lots of spices such as found in Indian cuisine, the onion and garlic won't be missed.