"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 05-13-2014, 04:50 PM   #1
Wine Guy

Trash it or Eat It?

A friend of mine shared this article from the Cleveland Clinic with me today, so I thought I would pass it along. I had previously assumed that a date on a container represented the "throw it out" date, but that isn't always the case.

Trash It or Eat It? The Truth About Expiration Dates — Health Hub from Cleveland Clinic

No rules are ever ironclad, but I think there are some valid guidelines in the article.

Old 05-13-2014, 04:57 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
A friend of mine shared this article from the Cleveland Clinic with me today, so I thought I would pass it along. I had previously assumed that a date on a container represented the "throw it out" date, but that isn't always the case.

Trash It or Eat It? The Truth About Expiration Dates — Health Hub from Cleveland Clinic

No rules are ever ironclad, but I think there are some valid guidelines in the article.
It's useful to have the differences in the dating options laid out. I'm not sure I ever see an expiration date. It's always one of the other options.

Old 05-13-2014, 05:01 PM   #3
Master Chef

These articles always crack me up 4 to 6 months, one to two years, that is quite a bit of leeway.

I look at the dates. I also use a little common sense or life experience, whatever it's called and make a decision that feels right for me.

One item I seem to have problems with on a regular basis is the bagged salad in the produce section. The dates are almost meaningless. I look for the longest date and then still try to look at the salad itself to see if it is brown or starting to get slimy.
Old 05-13-2014, 06:19 PM   #4
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
One item I seem to have problems with on a regular basis is the bagged salad in the produce section.
Ain't that the truth?

Those bags of lettuce always seem to start going wilty as soon as you get them home. I find that a head of fresh lettuce keeps much longer in the fridge than the pre-packaged stuff.

I have to admit that I still buy them simply for the convenience factor, though.
Old 05-13-2014, 06:36 PM   #5
Master Chef

Milk.....I pour it down the sink on the date on the carton even if it might still be good. That's a hard and fast rule for me. There's nothing more disgusting than a gulp of even slightly "off" milk.

On the other hand, I pay practically no attention to dates on things like yogurt or buttermilk.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 07:18 PM   #6
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Ain't that the truth?

Those bags of lettuce always seem to start going wilty as soon as you get them home. I find that a head of fresh lettuce keeps much longer in the fridge than the pre-packaged stuff.

I have to admit that I still buy them simply for the convenience factor, though.
I buy them for the variety of a little cabbage, carrot etc...

You are right though I should buy a head of lettuce or some other sturdy green and put together my own salad from odds and ends in the vegetable crisper!

I will make that a resolution!
Old 05-13-2014, 07:27 PM   #7
Master Chef

When you are buying something as opposed to when you are using something, the dates give you an idea of what's fresher.

I rummage in the back at the store to get the latest date.
Old 05-13-2014, 08:11 PM   #8
Sous Chef

I use the dates as a guide, but I assume I have good common sense and use it after checking those dates.
Old 05-13-2014, 09:06 PM   #9
Master Chef

I've used those dates to my advantage. If I'm buying, I do like jennyema - I'm always looking for the one with the farthest-out date. If I'm pulling from my stock at home I use my judgement. Food Network did a show with Master Chefs competing with making a safe and tasty meal from foods destined for the dumpster. Amazing what you can do with "garbage".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
...One item I seem to have problems with on a regular basis is the bagged salad in the produce section. The dates are almost meaningless. I look for the longest date and then still try to look at the salad itself to see if it is brown or starting to get slimy.
I don't even like the taste of the bagged ones anymore. They say the lettuce isn't treated, but even when fresh I taste something "off". Instead, I'll buy a head of iceberg, a head of romaine and, when on sale, tubs of spring mix or arugula or baby spinach. When the weather is warm I swear I have enough greens to open a salad bar.

I have an old Tupperware container for the iceberg, but if I need to move the new one into the tub before the last bit of the old one is gone I find the older one stays fresh for another day or so I I put the piece into a produce bag with a paper towel under the core end.
Old 05-14-2014, 11:53 AM   #10
Head Chef

Thanks for the link Steve.
More folks need to know that these dates are not carved in stone. They are a guideline and have more to do with quality rather then if the food is eatable or not. Food poisoning is nothing to play with but common sense has to come into play at some point. Err on the side of caution but don't let a date rule your decision. If someone can afford to toss good food more power to them. (I'd like to see more used at food banks and such) Sure it's better used earlier but I'm too cheap and have used too much stuff past it's date to worry much about what's stamped on the can.