"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 10-17-2012, 09:10 AM   #11
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
First of all, you're not underweight unless you doctor says you are. Snip and I are good knowledgeable people, and the same height. I've lost so much weight that people are calling me skinny ... same height, 175 lbs! Yes, I am really (not lying) large boned. You shouldn't worry. I assume you are young. Eat more protein and good carbs. Just eat good food. If you're on the skinny side, who cares?
Could not have said it better myself Claire. A lot of people are skinny when they are young but your metabolism will slow down at one point or the other. Also if you gain weight by just eating too much you'll gain fat not muscle unless you are very active and exercise regularly.
I've been skinny all my life, at my smallest I was 103 lbs and I'm 5'9.
Yet after my Dr did blood test for pretty much everything there was nothing physically wrong and I didn't even have any vitamin or mineral shortages.
I weight 121 lbs now and I'm still only just the minimum healthy weight for my height and age.
Being blessed with a good metabolism is not something you want to take for granted, who cares what other people think. Most people that give you a hard time for being to thin are just jealous because they can't be like you!!!

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:42 AM   #12
Senior Cook

You need to answer one question: what is your purpose for graining weight? Do you want to be able to play a sport better - often times a few more pounds of muscle will help - or do you just want to be able to wear a different kind of clothes and have a different look? Maybe the best option for you is to look into some weight training programs. Weight training will help your body become more dense because you will have a higher percentage of muscle, which will help you gain weight. It will also help you look "better" because muscle on people just naturally makes people look better. If you just start eating food in descriminately - potato chips, ice cream, cake, etc, you may find that you weigh more but you will likely not feel very good, nor look very good.

I was 5'9" and 134 pounds at high school graduation. I did some weight training during college and was able to push that up to 143...then 35 came and, oohhhhh boy! I am now 185 and hoping to shed about 20 pounds over the next year.

Old 11-20-2012, 01:33 PM   #13
Head Chef

What works for me: sitting on my butt and eating indiscriminately.

We are fed by a food industry which pays no attention to health, and healed by a health industry that pays no attention to food - Wendell Berry
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:00 AM   #14
Assistant Cook

Eat a ton of protein
Drink lots of liquid
excercise a lot
Consider 1/2 an alka seltzer a day if you are eating a LOT of protein.

Always make sure you are burning other calories than protein. When your body is calorie starved Lysine is the 1st one to get used up. eating a salad a day can help a lot with this since it provides energy for most of the day.

If you have a fast digestion it can make gaining weight problematic. 1 tbsp of Metamucil a day can help with this. it also cleans your intestines making food absorption better.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:38 PM   #15
Master Chef

ensure +
Old 01-24-2014, 06:21 PM   #16
Head Chef

Your metabolism will burn off the extra calories to the point where you'll have to constantly maintain taking in additional calories. Soon after you stop and go back to a normal diet, you will lose any pounds you gained. You'd practically need a drug to slow down your metabolism. That's how active a persons metabolism can be. Your best bet is to increase muscle mass with those extra calories you consume because your fast metabolism will quickly burn off any fat weight you gain.
Old 01-25-2014, 07:52 AM   #17
Master Chef

i hear people should avoid foods, so i seek them. ensure-type drinks continue to keep a few lbs. on.
Old 08-20-2014, 02:28 PM   #18
Assistant Cook

Send a message via AIM to Twixmixy Send a message via Skype™ to Twixmixy
Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyeatingxyz View Post
I'm male, 5'4'' and weigh 120 pounds. I think that is underweight. Can someone give me healthy eating suggestions to try to add a few pounds.

Thanks in advance.

healthyeatingxyz
I would add in some of the starchier veggies (that way you are still consuming real foods!) So things like acorn/butternut/spagetti squash, potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, etc. Get those in there with lots of leafy greens and local protein meats and you'll be golden. And eat as much as you want! You can't overeat healthy!
Old 08-21-2014, 02:36 PM   #19
Master Chef

It's an old thread but I would like to share few of my extra pounds.
Old 12-02-2015, 07:29 PM   #20
Assistant Cook

the formula is very simple

more calories = more weight
less calories= less weight

you just have to know how is your metabolism and what percentage of calories your body need ...