"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 09-14-2013, 10:49 AM   #1671
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I've read also that rickets is making a reappearance in children because they often drink more soda than milk and using sunscreen prevents their bodies from absorbing vitamin D from the sun.
Remember running loose in the summer...Mom had to take the grill brush to you the day before school started. Our hair bleached out by the sun and we had tans that were gorgeous!

Now kids aren't allowed in the sun

Old 09-14-2013, 11:18 AM   #1672
Chef Extraordinaire

I sure do. Good times!

Old 09-14-2013, 11:57 AM   #1673
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
My skim milk says "25% Vit D" and also says that it contains Vit D3. For a while, my Grandson had to be switched to fat free milk because whole milk was causing constipation. The doctor told them to switch. But now sometimes he gets 2% and sometimes skim depending on where he is.

Milk is said to be very good for weight loss, and of course, they are talking about skim milk.
That skim milk has that much Vitamin D because it was fortified, which I think is a good thing.

I just read that thinking skim milk is better for weight loss is just what seems obvious.It isn't based on research. One study of children showed that the ones who drank skim milk were chubbier than the ones who drank whole milk. They think that this is because the full fat milk is probably more filling. Of course, the chubbier kids may be drinking the skim milk because their parents are trying to help them lose weight, so there could be a bias here. More research needs to be done on this.
Old 09-14-2013, 02:19 PM   #1674
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
I assume you are quoting the (British) Dairy Council's information which is only partly correct. The DC says milk is very low in Vit D and it is per se. However, they are referring to milk alone, ie skimmed/fat free milk, in order to comply with product description legislation. Vitamin D is a fat soluble vitamin and is present in the fat in milk ie the cream. If the cream is removed, as with skimmed milk, the vitamin D is largely removed which is why I referred to the Govenment's advice that skimmed milk should not be fed to very young children. The NHS and the Department of Health make this quite clear and describe whole/full fat milk as a good source of vitamin D as well as other vitamins.
Back in the 90's this country went on a "cut out the cholesterol" madness. Even for young children. So mothers were giving their children as young as one year old skim milk. They were putting their very young children of fat free diets. Wisely, pediatricians were telling these mothers that unless they were registered dieticians to stop messing with their young charges and start feeding them properly. They were seeing a lot of health problems in the children even before they started school. This madness didn't last too long.
Old 09-14-2013, 02:51 PM   #1675
Executive Chef

The pediatrician originally told my DIL that my gs needed whole milk. When he starting having constipation she told her to switch him to skim milk. Now that the issue has been resolved he gets 2% at home and skim at our house. He eats full fat cheese and full fat yogurt. If I was going to worry about his diet, it would be the junk food...donuts etc that they give him. They say it's not a lot, but to me, it seems like a lot. Not my child, not my business, I guess.

He is neither overweight or underweight. He eats healthy food at meals but junk food in between.
Old 09-14-2013, 03:27 PM   #1676
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
The pediatrician originally told my DIL that my gs needed whole milk. When he starting having constipation she told her to switch him to skim milk. Now that the issue has been resolved he gets 2% at home and skim at our house. He eats full fat cheese and full fat yogurt. If I was going to worry about his diet, it would be the junk food...donuts etc that they give him. They say it's not a lot, but to me, it seems like a lot. Not my child, not my business, I guess.

He is neither overweight or underweight. He eats healthy food at meals but junk food in between.
Unfortunately constipation in children is the result of 'too much of a good thing.' Too much milk. I had the same problem with all of my kids. And I have to agree with you. "Not my child, not my business'. Only once have I ever interfered with anything my kids do with raising their children.

My SIL was battling Non Hodgkin's Cancer. Money was scarce and my G'daughter was crying because she didn't get all the electronic toys her friends got for Christmas. She was making the Christmas Dinner for everyone miserable. I finally jumped in and went after her with a vengeance. Her parents never said a word. I said all the things to her that they were unable to get the courage to say. And I understood that. They were trying to protect her from knowing how seriously ill her father was. When you go from a $3K paycheck a week to surviving on disability pay, and the bills still keep coming in, it is a shock to everyone. And to be fighting an imminent possible death also did not make for a happy holiday for anyone. She was 14 at the time and she needed to grow up fast. But once again we are in the same battle with her mother. She is just a little better with this crisis. She doesn't whine as much, but is not as much help as she could be. Maybe it is time for me to jump in again. She is 21 now and needs to do some more growing fast.
Old 09-15-2013, 09:22 PM   #1677
Master Chef

My parents came over for lunch Friday. It is such a rare occasion, that every time it happens I go out of m way to prepare something they will like. I made so many and so much of yummy foods, we could not stop eating. I over ate for the whole 3 weeks I've been trying to eat less. And been pigging out today too. Everything taste so good. :(
Old 09-16-2013, 09:19 PM   #1678
Chef Extraordinaire

Back in the pool today for water aerobics, aqua chi & practicing what I have learned in swimming lessons. All is going well. Looking forward to going back tomorrow.
Old 09-16-2013, 09:59 PM   #1679
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

5 more pounds. I've been getting in 45 min of exercise a day.
Old 09-16-2013, 10:10 PM   #1680
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonbaker View Post
Back in the pool today for water aerobics, aqua chi & practicing what I have learned in swimming lessons. All is going well. Looking forward to going back tomorrow.
Isn't it nice to get away and Just do something nice for yourself?