Homemade Limoncella

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Michelemarie

Executive Chef
My cousin married a man from Italy. Last month his mom came to visit for a month. She made many fantastic recipes but I have to say this is one of my favorites. Excuse the vagueness of the recipe, this is what I interpretted from his explanation. I drank this last night - it is sooooo good! This recipe is different from the recipes I found on the internet.

Limoncella
4 lemons - rind only
1 bottle (750 ml) grain alcohol
2 cups sugar
1 bottle (use bottle from gain alcohol) warm water

Combine the lemon rinds with the grain alcohol and let sit one day-it should turn yellow.
Boil one bottle’s worth of water.
Add the sugar and dissolve.
After the water cools to a warm temperature, combine with the alcohol and lemon rind.
Remove rind and store in freezer.

I might add less sugar when I make it, it is pretty sweet, but delicous. Sip as a martini, over ice or over ice cream and/or sorbet.

My recipe is a bit different.
15 lemons, scrubbed well
1 bottle 100 proof vodka
Zest the lemons being very careful not to get any of the white bitter pith. Put zest in the vodka. Let sit for 10 to 40 days. I have done it both ways and reallydon't notice much difference in the end.
After the time, boil 4C sugar in 5C water. Let cool. Add lemon vodka along with another bottle (750ml) of vodka.
Let sit another 10-40 days. Strain out zest. Store in freezer.
This is the recipe I used to make my limoncello cheesecake for Christmas. Good stuff.

Actually, lemoncello really needs a LOT more of seasoning/resting period. It takes a lot of patience, but in order to have the flavour fully developed, it needs a whole month+ of resting. Try this method next time, maybe while you still have the previous one so you don't have to wait around;) ... This is the recipe we use every year.

15-20 good quality lemons with healthy zest, unwaxed. (the ideal lemons are the ones from Sorrento, near Napoli, very famous for making lemoncello... if they are not available, try to find Sicilian or ones from mediterranean region)
1 litre of drinking alcohol (90°), or 100-proof vodka
500g sugar
750ml water

Wash the lemons well; pat dry.
Carefully zest the lemons with a zester or vegetable peeler.
You only want the yellow part, try to omit the white part, as this part will give an unpleasant bitter flavour.

Phase 1
In a large glass bottle/jar, add the alcohol/vodka. add the lemon zest as it is zested.
Cover the container and let sit at room temperature for at least 1month, up to 40 days in a cool dark place.
The longer it rests, the better the taste will be. (No need for stirring, just leave it alone!)
As the limoncello sits, the alcohol slowly take on the flavor and rich yellow color of the lemon zest.

Phase 2
In a large saucepan, cook sugar and water until thickens itself, approximately 5 to 7 minutes.
Let the syrup cool completely before adding it to the Limoncello mixture. Mix well.
Add to the Limoncello mixture from Phase 1. Allow to rest for another 30 to 40 days.

Phase 3
After the rest period, strain and bottle: discarding the lemon zest. Keep in the freezer until ready to serve.

Wow - these all look wonderful!
After the final rest, when you bottle it, can it be kept on the shelf? I am thinking of gift giving ... I wouldn't think it would be good to have in my freezer, then out and warmed in the giving then back in the freezer. Suggestions?

Yes, it also keeps on a shelf for a long, long time just fine. With all the sugar and alcohol it contain, go figure:LOL:

Can you put a curl of lemon peel in the bottle for presentation or will that alter the flavor?

Yes, it is fine to do that--but the lemon peel really isn't that "pretty". I guess you could put a fresh curl in for presentation.

This would have to be one of the best drinks. Keep it in the freezer (it won't freeze) for a cool refreshing drink. We make it here at home and I have a batch brewing as we speak. It will be another couple weeks before it is ready but it is well worth the wait. And make sure you use unwaxed lemons, preferably organic.

JMediger said:
Can you put a curl of lemon peel in the bottle for presentation or will that alter the flavor?

Sorry I haven't been here too often for the last few days, finally I got a chance to take a look back at this thread.... yeah, as Candocook suggested, it is okay to do that but if you add fresh lemon peels just as you serve them, it would be much better esthetically, and flavour wise.;)

The Lemoncello recipes above are all great. Like most recipes there are small
differences. We brought this recipe back from Naples Italy when visiting:

7 lemons (yellow skin only)
1 quart of 100% Vodka

Put lemon peels & vodka in a container. Let sit 36 hours. Strain.

Make a simple syrup: l cup sugar 1 cup water (boil and cool)

Add to your lemon peels and vodka

let stand 24 hours. Strain, bottle put in freezer. Serve ice cold.

We bought fancy bottles and gave them as Holiday Presents this year.

Thanks everyone for the Lemoncello recipes.

I love Lemoncello and hope to make it soon.

I found this recipe on the web. It's skittle infused vodka.
Looks interesting and easy to make.

final.jpg

http://mixthatdrink.com/skittles-vodka-tutorial/

Back
Top Bottom