"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > Alcoholic Drinks

Old 12-30-2006, 02:32 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
Homemade Limoncella

My cousin married a man from Italy. Last month his mom came to visit for a month. She made many fantastic recipes but I have to say this is one of my favorites. Excuse the vagueness of the recipe, this is what I interpretted from his explanation. I drank this last night - it is sooooo good! This recipe is different from the recipes I found on the internet.

Limoncella
4 lemons - rind only
1 bottle (750 ml) grain alcohol
2 cups sugar
1 bottle (use bottle from gain alcohol) warm water

Combine the lemon rinds with the grain alcohol and let sit one day-it should turn yellow.
Boil one bottle’s worth of water.
Add the sugar and dissolve.
After the water cools to a warm temperature, combine with the alcohol and lemon rind.
Remove rind and store in freezer.

I might add less sugar when I make it, it is pretty sweet, but delicous. Sip as a martini, over ice or over ice cream and/or sorbet.

Old 12-30-2006, 04:07 PM   #2
Head Chef

Oh my goodness does that look good ... Thank you for sharing!

Old 12-30-2006, 04:13 PM   #3
Sous Chef

My recipe is a bit different.
15 lemons, scrubbed well
1 bottle 100 proof vodka
Zest the lemons being very careful not to get any of the white bitter pith. Put zest in the vodka. Let sit for 10 to 40 days. I have done it both ways and reallydon't notice much difference in the end.
After the time, boil 4C sugar in 5C water. Let cool. Add lemon vodka along with another bottle (750ml) of vodka.
Let sit another 10-40 days. Strain out zest. Store in freezer.
This is the recipe I used to make my limoncello cheesecake for Christmas. Good stuff.
Old 12-30-2006, 04:17 PM   #4
Executive Chef

That recipe sounds good too - thanks for sharing!
Old 12-30-2006, 05:41 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Actually, lemoncello really needs a LOT more of seasoning/resting period. It takes a lot of patience, but in order to have the flavour fully developed, it needs a whole month+ of resting. Try this method next time, maybe while you still have the previous one so you don't have to wait around ... This is the recipe we use every year.

15-20 good quality lemons with healthy zest, unwaxed. (the ideal lemons are the ones from Sorrento, near Napoli, very famous for making lemoncello... if they are not available, try to find Sicilian or ones from mediterranean region)
1 litre of drinking alcohol (90°), or 100-proof vodka
500g sugar
750ml water

Wash the lemons well; pat dry.
Carefully zest the lemons with a zester or vegetable peeler.
You only want the yellow part, try to omit the white part, as this part will give an unpleasant bitter flavour.

Phase 1
In a large glass bottle/jar, add the alcohol/vodka. add the lemon zest as it is zested.
Cover the container and let sit at room temperature for at least 1month, up to 40 days in a cool dark place.
The longer it rests, the better the taste will be. (No need for stirring, just leave it alone!)
As the limoncello sits, the alcohol slowly take on the flavor and rich yellow color of the lemon zest.

Phase 2
In a large saucepan, cook sugar and water until thickens itself, approximately 5 to 7 minutes.
Let the syrup cool completely before adding it to the Limoncello mixture. Mix well.
Add to the Limoncello mixture from Phase 1. Allow to rest for another 30 to 40 days.

Phase 3
After the rest period, strain and bottle: discarding the lemon zest. Keep in the freezer until ready to serve.
Old 12-30-2006, 05:52 PM   #6
Head Chef

Wow - these all look wonderful!
After the final rest, when you bottle it, can it be kept on the shelf? I am thinking of gift giving ... I wouldn't think it would be good to have in my freezer, then out and warmed in the giving then back in the freezer. Suggestions?
Old 12-30-2006, 05:55 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Yes, it also keeps on a shelf for a long, long time just fine. With all the sugar and alcohol it contain, go figure
Old 12-30-2006, 06:28 PM   #8
Head Chef

Can you put a curl of lemon peel in the bottle for presentation or will that alter the flavor?
Old 12-31-2006, 10:25 AM   #9
Executive Chef

I don't know about that, Urmaniac would be the expert - it sure would look pretty though!
Old 12-31-2006, 11:04 AM   #10
Sous Chef

Yes, it is fine to do that--but the lemon peel really isn't that "pretty". I guess you could put a fresh curl in for presentation.