Peach schnapps ice cubes - need advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

monkeyboy7

Assistant Cook
Hi everyone,

I'm in the process of creating a new drink and I humbly request your help. The general idea involves taking a peach schnapps drink and cooling it with ice cubes that contain even more peach schnapps extract inside. As the ice melts, more alcohol will be gradually released into the drink, creating an increasingly stronger drink as time goes by. Due to this alcholic effect, I'm thinking of calling it a "peach curveball."

The plan works out great on paper but I've been having some trouble determining the right kind of ice cube tray. I guess my first question here is about the value of stainless steel ice cube trays. Are stainless steel ice cube trays (like this one) really worth it? People have mentioned the risk of chemical leaching from other trays, but it doesn't seem that big of an issue. Then again, my drink relies on people drinking all of the ice cubes, so this could be a problem. My other options are using a glass ice cube tray (risk of microshards in ice cube) or sticking with the traditional plastic ones.

Anyway, can someone please provide some insight into this problem? If you're familiar with ice cube trays, is there anything else I should know (like the speed of freezing)?

Try the tupperware ice cube trays.

Attachments

• index.jpg
    index.jpg
    3.1 KB · Views: 1,289
Yes, I have a friend with an industrial-strength freezer (good point, though--I almost overlooked it). And thanks Alix, I will definitely look into tupperware trays. Do tupperware trays freeze ice cubes faster by any chance? I'm guessing the covered top helps.

So you are only going to serve this drink in his kitchen?

So you are only going to serve this drink in his kitchen?

Well, our plan is to pitch the idea to a local bar/restaurant. It would be implausible to distribute these ice cubes on our own (not to mention we would need a liquor license). Essentially, we want to be prepared for all potential questions--including those concerning the healthiness of the cubes.

Will Liquor Freeze?
By Colleen Graham, About.com Guide

----

Water freezes at 0°C (32°F) and the freezing point of ethanol alcohol is -114°C (-173.2°F).

Alcoholic beverages are a mixture of both alcohol and water (with sugars and other additives in some distilled spirits) so the freezing point of all of you alcoholic beverages is somewhere in between.

The exact freezing point of vodka, gin, tequila, rum, whiskey and the myriad of liqueurs is dependent on its proof, or alcohol per volume.

The lower the proof, the warmer the freezing point: the higher the proof, the colder the freezing point.

For example:

24 proof liquor freezes at -6.7°C (20°F)
64 proof liquor freezes at -23.33°C (-10°F)
84 proof liquor freezes at -34.44°C (-30°F)

Well, our plan is to pitch the idea to a local bar/restaurant. It would be implausible to distribute these ice cubes on our own (not to mention we would need a liquor license). Essentially, we want to be prepared for all potential questions--including those concerning the healthiness of the cubes.

Depending on the proof of the schnapps you use, freezing them in the fisrt place and then keeping them frozen until use seems like a hurdle.

Back
Top Bottom