"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > Alcoholic Drinks

Old 03-13-2006, 11:41 AM   #31
Sous Chef

I use local white wine from our village for cooking, but for some reason I prefer Gamay for my steaks or a bordeaux if we have guests.

Old 03-14-2006, 03:58 AM   #32
Senior Cook

I use wine that I like to drink, for me it's sweet, not dry. And I open a fresh bottle every time. I don't like the taste when it's been open a couple days. Even though you put the cap back on, you can still tell.

Old 03-14-2006, 03:32 PM   #33
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to fireweaver
hey RDG, i guess i should have been a bit clearer. i do find *colossal* differences in red as far as drinking, and i definately didn't mean to imply that "all reds taste the same"! perhaps it's just my cooking style, but i tend to prepare dishes with red wine that the wine flavor is only a bit-part in a larger whole (i.e., the particular type of wine not as crucial when you're marinating your steak in it and then flaming it on the grill, or if you're adding a half-glass to a hearty marinara). often, when doing dishes with white wine, i am deglazing the pan with it, resulting in the coating/sauce for the meal being made in no small part of the white wine. there are notable exceptions both ways (try deglazing a pan of sauteed veggies with an earthy tannic red and serve over pasta, or marinate veggies with a little white wine to toss on the grill), but for the most part, there you go.

no, i also would not be cooking with a 250-euro bottle! well, i'd sip whilst cooking, maybe, but it wouldn't end up in the food. definately a great moment to share with good friends.

for both cooking & drinking, those two coming out of the same bottle for me, i tend to keep it under $15/bottle.
Old 03-15-2006, 05:50 AM   #34
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to RDG
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireweaver
hey RDG, i guess i should have been a bit clearer. i do find *colossal* differences in red as far as drinking, and i definately didn't mean to imply that "all reds taste the same"! perhaps it's just my cooking style, but i tend to prepare dishes with red wine that the wine flavor is only a bit-part in a larger whole (i.e., the particular type of wine not as crucial when you're marinating your steak in it and then flaming it on the grill, or if you're adding a half-glass to a hearty marinara). often, when doing dishes with white wine, i am deglazing the pan with it, resulting in the coating/sauce for the meal being made in no small part of the white wine. there are notable exceptions both ways (try deglazing a pan of sauteed veggies with an earthy tannic red and serve over pasta, or marinate veggies with a little white wine to toss on the grill), but for the most part, there you go.

no, i also would not be cooking with a 250-euro bottle! well, i'd sip whilst cooking, maybe, but it wouldn't end up in the food. definately a great moment to share with good friends.

for both cooking & drinking, those two coming out of the same bottle for me, i tend to keep it under $15/bottle.
Thanks again, fireweaver, for your explanation.I had'nt understood well, effectively. In point of fact, we have nearly the same position in using wine, in the bottle price too, I see.. . Of course, there is some difference, but I think that this is the nice of cooking: the same recipe is never the same.....if made by two different persons!
Old 03-26-2006, 09:33 AM   #35
Master Chef

Dry Vermouth

If I'm planning to sip while I'm cooking, or am planning to serve wine with the meal, then I'll use whatever I'm sipping or going to serve in the meal. I will say, however, that I definitely do not like to use Chardonnay in cooking. I find that characteristic "oakiness" can come thru too strongly, especially as the wine cooks down.

For the most part, & as someone else here posted, I follow the advice of that Grand High Duchess of Cookery, Julia Child, & use dry vermouth in most recipes calling for dry white wine. According to Julia, even the cheapest dry vermouth is better for cooking than many expensive white wines, & it can be stored after opening without refrigeration. I always have a bottle in the pantry, along with dry sherry - which is another cooking staple for me.
Old 03-26-2006, 10:32 AM   #36
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking
...I find that characteristic "oakiness" can come thru too strongly, especially as the wine cooks down...

California chardonnay producers decided oakiness was a good thing for chards. I prefer the more traditional non-oaky Australian chardonnays. Cooking with unoaked chards isn't bad.
Old 03-26-2006, 11:18 AM   #37
Master Chef

Thanks for the tip.

I don't mind the oakiness (so long as it's not overdone) if I'm drinking a Chardonnay; I just find it intensifies too much in cooking. I'll definitely have to try one of the Australians. Any particular ones you'd recommend?
Old 03-26-2006, 05:05 PM   #38
Certified Pretend Chef

Depends on the price range. For low price and high taste, try Lindemann's Bin 65. Good for drinking and cooking.