"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > Alcoholic Drinks

Old 08-17-2007, 09:38 AM   #61
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob
Ya know, open a restaurant. Bring in a bottle of booze/wine and it's dinner for two. The booze could be converted to mega bucks at the bar. A cheap bottle of wine would get ya a couple of burgers & fries, and well you get the idea

Have fun & Enjoy!!!
So my unopened bottles of Woodruff Reserve and Bookers would get...? (Other than VB's attention )

John

ronjohn55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 09:46 AM   #62
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjohn55
So my unopened bottles of Woodruff Reserve and Bookers would get...?
Anything on the menu, not to include drinks, taxes, and tips!!!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 11:16 AM   #63
Assistant Cook

About cooked v. uncooked eggs. VB is right about the salmonella issue, but that's not actually the reason I cook the eggs. It's a matter of texture. Uncooked recipes generally rely on a foam of the whites to thicken the nog. Instead, I'm using cooked egg proteins for that. Different mouthfeel; also, more stable (doesn't separate). And, for what I call modern dairy style, I add a second stabilizer (e.g., tapioca flour or xanthan gum), to increase viscosity a bit more. BTW, Rom, if you wanna know what Yanks generally mean by eggnog, that's the version to make. It's closest to what people buy in stores (few people make this stuff), albeit without the funky artificial flavors.
Old 08-17-2007, 12:49 PM   #64
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBear42
About cooked v. uncooked eggs. VB is right about the salmonella issue, but that's not actually the reason I cook the eggs. It's a matter of texture. Uncooked recipes generally rely on a foam of the whites to thicken the nog. Instead, I'm using cooked egg proteins for that. Different mouthfeel; also, more stable (doesn't separate). And, for what I call modern dairy style, I add a second stabilizer (e.g., tapioca flour or xanthan gum), to increase viscosity a bit more. BTW, Rom, if you wanna know what Yanks generally mean by eggnog, that's the version to make. It's closest to what people buy in stores (few people make this stuff), albeit without the funky artificial flavors.
I've also used heavy cream to hold it together. Ever try that? Yeah, most people just buy the stuff...but if I'm going to splurge on the calories and fat, I really want to make it myself...and know what I'm enjoying.
Old 08-17-2007, 12:50 PM   #65
Executive Chef

Yes, Ron, you got my attention....

I'm making stuffed snapper on the grill tonight. Dinner is at 7, with hot tub dipping at 9...followed by a walk to the river at 10.
Old 08-17-2007, 06:07 PM   #66
Sous Chef

VeraBlue and PBear42 thanks for the info!

The eggs would be at room temperature thats why I asked :)

You can still make the cooked one without the second stabilizer can't u? actually if I have the ingredients...I might go make it now!

*checks for ingredients*

thx :)
Old 08-18-2007, 02:37 AM   #67
Assistant Cook

VB: Yes, I use heavy cream as well. See Post #40. Half of it I add to the bottle, half I whip lightly just before serving, for the simple reason that I find a light foam on top adds to the overall effect.

Rom: By all means, you can do without the second stabilizer. Indeed, I prefer without. That's why it's a variation rather than being in the main recipe. Just dialing you in to how my recipe fits into eggnog as a "thing" in States' culture. Stated a little differently, when preparing this for me and mine, I prepare without. When preparing for friends - say, for a party - I generally use a second stabilizer. BTW, the extra rich version also has the mouthfeel of commercial eggnog, but it is, well, very rich. As mentioned, I generally reserve that version for Xmas eve.
Old 08-18-2007, 02:38 AM   #68
Assistant Cook

VB: Yes, I use heavy cream as well. See Post #40. Half of it I add to the bottle, half I whip lightly just before serving, for the simple reason that I find a light foam on top adds to the overall effect.

Rom: By all means, you can do without the second stabilizer. Indeed, I prefer without. That's why it's a variation rather than being in the main recipe. Just dialing you in to how my recipe fits into eggnog as a "thing" in States' culture. Stated a little differently, when preparing this for me and mine, I prepare without. When preparing for friends - say, for a party - I generally use a second stabilizer. BTW, the extra rich version also has the mouthfeel of commercial eggnog, but it is, well, very rich. As mentioned, I generally reserve that version for Xmas eve.
Old 08-18-2007, 02:40 AM   #69
Assistant Cook

Sorry about the double post. Not sure how that happened.
Old 08-19-2007, 09:48 PM   #70
Sous Chef

Cool, sounds good, I didn't have all the ingredients before, I needed more milk and cream and then when i got them i ran out of time LOL so hopefully it he next couple of days!
thx