What's in Your Eggnog?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Uncle Bob said:
Ya know, open a restaurant. Bring in a bottle of booze/wine and it's dinner for two. The booze could be converted to mega bucks at the bar. A cheap bottle of wine would get ya a couple of burgers & fries, and well you get the idea:LOL:

Have fun & Enjoy!!!

So my unopened bottles of Woodruff Reserve and Bookers would get...? (Other than VB's attention :ohmy: :innocent: :mrgreen:)

John

About cooked v. uncooked eggs. VB is right about the salmonella issue, but that's not actually the reason I cook the eggs. It's a matter of texture. Uncooked recipes generally rely on a foam of the whites to thicken the nog. Instead, I'm using cooked egg proteins for that. Different mouthfeel; also, more stable (doesn't separate). And, for what I call modern dairy style, I add a second stabilizer (e.g., tapioca flour or xanthan gum), to increase viscosity a bit more. BTW, Rom, if you wanna know what Yanks generally mean by eggnog, that's the version to make. It's closest to what people buy in stores (few people make this stuff), albeit without the funky artificial flavors.

PBear42 said:
About cooked v. uncooked eggs. VB is right about the salmonella issue, but that's not actually the reason I cook the eggs. It's a matter of texture. Uncooked recipes generally rely on a foam of the whites to thicken the nog. Instead, I'm using cooked egg proteins for that. Different mouthfeel; also, more stable (doesn't separate). And, for what I call modern dairy style, I add a second stabilizer (e.g., tapioca flour or xanthan gum), to increase viscosity a bit more. BTW, Rom, if you wanna know what Yanks generally mean by eggnog, that's the version to make. It's closest to what people buy in stores (few people make this stuff), albeit without the funky artificial flavors.

I've also used heavy cream to hold it together. Ever try that? Yeah, most people just buy the stuff...but if I'm going to splurge on the calories and fat, I really want to make it myself...and know what I'm enjoying.

Yes, Ron, you got my attention....

I'm making stuffed snapper on the grill tonight. Dinner is at 7, with hot tub dipping at 9...followed by a walk to the river at 10.

VeraBlue and PBear42 thanks for the info!

The eggs would be at room temperature thats why I asked :)

You can still make the cooked one without the second stabilizer can't u? actually if I have the ingredients...I might go make it now!

*checks for ingredients*

thx :)

VB: Yes, I use heavy cream as well. See Post #40. Half of it I add to the bottle, half I whip lightly just before serving, for the simple reason that I find a light foam on top adds to the overall effect.

Rom: By all means, you can do without the second stabilizer. Indeed, I prefer without. That's why it's a variation rather than being in the main recipe. Just dialing you in to how my recipe fits into eggnog as a "thing" in States' culture. Stated a little differently, when preparing this for me and mine, I prepare without. When preparing for friends - say, for a party - I generally use a second stabilizer. BTW, the extra rich version also has the mouthfeel of commercial eggnog, but it is, well, very rich. As mentioned, I generally reserve that version for Xmas eve.

VB: Yes, I use heavy cream as well. See Post #40. Half of it I add to the bottle, half I whip lightly just before serving, for the simple reason that I find a light foam on top adds to the overall effect.

Rom: By all means, you can do without the second stabilizer. Indeed, I prefer without. That's why it's a variation rather than being in the main recipe. Just dialing you in to how my recipe fits into eggnog as a "thing" in States' culture. Stated a little differently, when preparing this for me and mine, I prepare without. When preparing for friends - say, for a party - I generally use a second stabilizer. BTW, the extra rich version also has the mouthfeel of commercial eggnog, but it is, well, very rich. As mentioned, I generally reserve that version for Xmas eve.

Cool, sounds good, I didn't have all the ingredients before, I needed more milk and cream and then when i got them i ran out of time LOL so hopefully it he next couple of days!
thx

OLD recipe

here's the recipe I used to make when I had the right ingredients! Too expensive now that we don't have the cow and chickens. But supposedly this is the recipe Martha Washington used. I would make it before Dec. 25 and we were still working on it the middle of January. It packs a walop and is it good!
1 gallon cream from the Jersey cow. 18 brown eggs fresh from the chicken coop, separated and whites beaten til stiff and folded in, 1 1/2 c. sugar, 1 pint bourbon, and 1 fifth of rum, fresh grated nutmeg to taste. Add the liquor slowly to not curdle the cream. Let the whole mess blend for a few days before imbibing.

Hey ya'll, I'm new here, though I've been cooking for many years.

As for the question before the floor, my vote goes for either bourbon (preferably Woodford Reserve) or irish whisky (preferably Tullamore Dew). The important thing, IMHO, whatever the libation, is that it be chilled. From now till Christmas, there's always a chilled bottle of something in the fridge.

BTW, I noticed a few homemade eggnog recipes, but all of them used raw eggs. If anyone's interested, here's one that's cooked. Basically, it's a very thin creme anglaise. Even people who don't like eggnog (read that, commercial eggnog) usually like this.

-----------------

Eggnog - Homemade
4 lg eggs

3/4 c sugar (divided)

1-1/2 tsp nutmeg (divided)

1/4 tsp salt

5 c milk (divided)

1 tsp vanilla

2 tbsp bourbon, dark rum, southern comfort, amaretto, etc.

1 c heavy cream

1. Beat eggs; blend in sugar (reserving 2 tbsp for Step 4), salt, 1 tsp nutmeg and 1 c milk. Measure out another 1 c milk.

2. Cook egg mixture over a heat diffuser or double boiler, stirring constantly, until heated to 160 degrees. Remove from heat and stir 60 seconds; stir in second cup of milk.

3. Strain egg mixture through a coarse sieve into a two-quart bottle. Add vanilla, liquor, 1/2 c heavy cream and remaining 3 c milk. Chill well, preferably overnight, stirring occasionally for first few hours.

4. When ready to serve, whip remaining 1/2 c heavy cream with remaining 2 tbsp sugar until thick and frothy but not stiff; stir into eggnog. Sprinkle servings with a dash nutmeg. Makes about 1‑3/4 qt.

Extra Rich: For an even richer eggnog, increase eggs to six and cook with 1‑1/2 c milk. Replace 1 c milk with more heavy cream. (I reserve this version for Christmas eve.)

Modern Dairy Style: For the thickness of commercial eggnog without the funky artificial flavors, try one of the following tricks: (i) beat 4 tbsp cornstarch (or, better, tapioca flour) with the eggs; (ii) sprinkle 1 tsp plain gelatin (1/2 envl) over 1/4 c cold water; let stand 2 minutes; bring just to a boil (about 40 seconds by microwave) and stir until dissolved; add with vanilla in Step 3; or (iii) blend 1/2 tsp xanthum gum (available in health food stores) with the 3 c milk in Step 3.

Warm Eggnog: Not well known, but it makes sense if you think about it. Beat 1/2 c cornstarch with the eggs and increase milk for Step 1 to 2 c. (More needed than for option one of the preceding paragraph because this isn’t chilled, so the eggs never become significant thickeners.) Stir in ingredients per second sentence of Step 3 and heat through. Hold in a slow cooker or over a heat diffuser; don’t boil or the eggnog will thin again and/or the eggs curdle.

Ooooo! I'm glad this thread was resurrected, since I missed it the first time around!

I did have a killer recipe that I made several times http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/showpost.php?p=194398&postcount=8

But the last time I did, I didn't feel well for about 6 weeks afterwards (I drank more of it than anyone else that year). My doctor thought it may have been a touch of salmonella.

So, I have copied and pasted PBear's recipe and will go with that one next Christmas! Just what I've been looking for!

Cool!

Lee

It's December 2nd, officially Holiday season in my book. :mrgreen:

That means it's time to bump this one up for the 2008 edition of "What's in Your Eggnog?"

This year (as in years past) the eggnog of choice for us will be from a local dairy (Calder's Dairy). It's so thick I have a hard time getting the booze to mix in. What a great problem to have! :angel:

This year our leading candidates for inclusion in the eggnog are:

Bulleit Bourbon
Meyer's Dark Rum

A little grated nutmeg on top and it's good to go. I am of course, open to other spirits to try out.

EGGNOG the fast way
I just put a few eggs in a quart jar with a tight fitting lid
add about a cup of 1/2 & 1/2
add a few tablespoons sugar (to taste)
and shake real hard until the yolks blend well
then add the rest of your pint of 1/2 & 1/2 (or use some heavy cream if you want it richer)
sprinkle in some nutmeg
a tablespoon cinnamon
a few shots of dark Myers rum (to taste)
close the lid tightly
and shake real hard until the sugar is disolved.

In a glass that has been chilled in the freezer
2/3 eggnog
1/3 rum

YUM-O!

Sometimes I make my own eggnog with splenda to prevent all the sugar. I wrap Christmas gifts on Christmas Eve drinking this and listening to Messiah.

Well, last night I decided that one of the bottles of rum in the liquor cabinet had taunted long enough and it was time to do something about it.

I thought using some in some eggnog would be nice (Eggnog is from here: Welcome to the Calder Dairy Web Site Great stuff). I was then threatened with great bodily harm by my wife if I dared drink *her* eggnog.

I clearly remember being the one to go to the store and purchase said eggnog. Wouldn't that technically make it *my* eggnong if we're going to lay claim to it?

So last night I had no eggnog. :( I just took my frustrations out on the rum. :angel:

It's very thick and sweet if you buy it ready made in a store. Never having made it from scratch, I understand homemade is thinner. Either way, it's wonderful but surely could use a hand from a friendly rum bottle.

Once I started making my own I have never looked back. But unfortunately my recipe is in storage with all my other favourites. I think I remember it enough to give it a try.

I found a new one last year that is surprisingly good. Eggnog with peppermint schnapps and creme to cacao (or other chocolate lacquer).

Back
Top Bottom