Monday's late tax not done supper for the 29th of April, '24

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dragnlaw

Site Team
Staff member
Freezer meal. Shepherd's Pie, smells great - have to wait for it to cool. Last one, guess I'll have to make more. Love freezer to table in ... well, OK, close to 2 hours but still - did nothing but check the temp every so often.
20240429_182613.jpg

Ate with my sister again. It's the last chance for a while, she will be heading back home to California early tomorrow. I put out some cold smoked salmon, capers, red onion slices, and dolmades. We just piled salmon and the other stuff on top and ate that with a knife and fork. We really enjoyed that. Snacked and gabbed for long enough that we got full. Well, I also had a couple of pieces of knækbrød (Scandinavian crisp rye bread) with Camembert. I had to eat the Camembert - it was getting quite ripe. It was delicious.

Last edited:
Do you mind describing chicken karaage? Where is it from?
Sure. it's a Japanese version of fried chicken.

I use boneless skin on chicken thighs, which is traditional and you definitely want to retain the skin then cut into decent sized pieces, normally 6 per thigh, that kind of size. Then microplane some garlic and ginger added to the chicken along with some soy sauce, sake, sesame oil, red Thai chili which is not traditional and then add an egg and mix that in, some people might add mirin for a little sweetness, I don't. Take equal parts flour and cornstarch and dredge each piece and set aside to set up.

Heat some oil and this is a two stage frying. For the first stage in batches to maintain heat and to ensure the chicken isn't crowded fry at 325 for about 4 minutes and remove to a mesh grate and after all the chicken has cooked at this temp I like to have the chicken sit for a while and come to room temp. Increase the heat to 350 and fry for another 4 minutes or until the chicken has reached at least 350 interior temp and dust with a little maldon sea salt.

I normally keep it simple and garnish with lemon, and a little garlic and rice wine aioli. :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom