Fungi Amongi

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CraigC

Master Chef
We ordered some domestic Cepes (Porcini), Morels and Black truffles today, from Oregon Mushrooms!;) They will be here tomorrow. We have had the imported cepes and truffles before, so it will be interesting to see how the domestics compare. A risotto is definitely in order and we will be checking out other recipes as well!:yum:

Last edited by a moderator:
4meandthem said:
I am jealous! A simple sauceless pizza with a little mild cheese or maybe an omellete with the leftovers.

+1

How fun(gi)!!!

We have funghi! FedEx just delivered. Truffles are in rice and everything looks good and is in fridge. Now to start deciding on what tonight's meal is going to be. Boy or boy, 1 pound is a whole lot of morels. We knew there'd be a lot but geez.

The players!;)
36788-albums799-picture4860t.jpg

36788-albums799-picture4859t.jpg

36788-albums799-picture4857t.jpg

If you ever order the Candy Cap Mushrooms (which is what got me buying from Oregon mushrooms, Frank and Kathleen's fault), be sure you have some airtight storage for them. I have them triple freezer zip-bagged and then in an airtight plastic container. The aroma from them is incredibly strong. And they are killer!

I also got a jar each of the European and Domestic Porcini Powders, two distinct flavors.

The aroma of the truffles is fabulous! We used some of the morels last night, both fried and in a sauce over pasta. Yum!:yum:

Buon Giorno,

Lovely Post ...

Firstly, there are many regions in the Mediterranean which are Designation of Origin zones, for Truffles and Mushrooms, however, Valle d´Aosta, Piemonte and Lombardia are the DOC, the designation of Controlled Origin for White Truffles which are seasonal, Autumn. It is uncommon to find them in the summer, and thus, one can purchase Truffle Salt in Lombardia or Piemonte ...

Mushrooms, in Italia, again there are hundreds of local regional wild Autumn mushrooms, many with unusual names ...

Personally, I prefer my Truffles grated and sprinkled on top of a simple Risotto with Reggiano Parmesano ...

There are Spring Mushrooms, however, in my opinion they are not nearly as delicious as the Autumn´s varieties.

In Spain, it is common to have northern Spain Black Truffles ( Áragon, Navarra and La Rioja amongst others in Catalonia ) grated on Shattered Eggs, a famous Tapa, called Los Huevos Estrellados and this dish is: Extra virgin olive oil fried eggs, sitting aboard a bed of fried potatoes and sprinkled with black Truffle Salt or black truffles ...

Mushrooms: Mediterraneans tend to prefer their wild mushrooms sautéed in a fine extra virgin olive oil, sea salt and freshly minced parsley, so as NOT to weaken the earthy forest flavor of the mushrooms ... Iberian Acorn Fed Ham or Proscuitto di Parma, can be garnish however, it shall provide another flavour profile.

Have a nice wkend and Enjoy your Delicacies !
Ciao. Margi.

Buon Giorno,

Lovely Post ...

Firstly, there are many regions in the Mediterranean which are Designation of Origin zones, for Truffles and Mushrooms, however, Valle d´Aosta, Piemonte and Lombardia are the DOC, the designation of Controlled Origin for White Truffles which are seasonal, Autumn. It is uncommon to find them in the summer, and thus, one can purchase Truffle Salt in Lombardia or Piemonte ...

Mushrooms, in Italia, again there are hundreds of local regional wild Autumn mushrooms, many with unusual names ...

Personally, I prefer my Truffles grated and sprinkled on top of a simple Risotto with Reggiano Parmesano ...

There are Spring Mushrooms, however, in my opinion they are not nearly as delicious as the Autumn´s varieties.

In Spain, it is common to have northern Spain Black Truffles ( Áragon, Navarra and La Rioja amongst others in Catalonia ) grated on Shattered Eggs, a famous Tapa, called Los Huevos Estrellados and this dish is: Extra virgin olive oil fried eggs, sitting aboard a bed of fried potatoes and sprinkled with black Truffle Salt or black truffles ...

Mushrooms: Mediterraneans tend to prefer their wild mushrooms sautéed in a fine extra virgin olive oil, sea salt and freshly minced parsley, so as NOT to weaken the earthy forest flavor of the mushrooms ... Iberian Acorn Fed Ham or Proscuitto di Parma, can be garnish however, it shall provide another flavour profile.

Have a nice wkend and Enjoy your Delicacies !
Ciao. Margi.

I know about the European products, but you do realize these fungi are all domestic, from the Pacific NW?;)

My father is an avid outdoorsman and growing up I got to experience alot of foods that many kids did not. I actually feel now that I took much of it for granted. Now that I'm learning to cook, I would absolutely LOVE to get a duck, pheasant, squirrel or rabbit that I turned my nose up at as a kid! Back to the topic. My fondest memories were hunting for morels in the spring and "hen of the woods" in the fall. I found about a pound of morels last spring, but not a one this year. I just fry em in butter and eat em like that.

derailedbus said:
My father is an avid outdoorsman and growing up I got to experience alot of foods that many kids did not. I actually feel now that I took much of it for granted. Now that I'm learning to cook, I would absolutely LOVE to get a duck, pheasant, squirrel or rabbit that I turned my nose up at as a kid! Back to the topic. My fondest memories were hunting for morels in the spring and "hen of the woods" in the fall. I found about a pound of morels last spring, but not a one this year. I just fry em in butter and eat em like that.

LOVE Hen of the Woods! A wonderful all-around fungus!

Back
Top Bottom