Potatoes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When the kids were small I used to buy the sliced ones in the can, rinse then completely and then fry them up for a Sunday morning breakfast. I always tried to make a hearty breakfast on Sundays. Weekdays were for cold cereal. No time in the morning to wait for the cook.

I used them years ago when camping Ross and I wasn't happy with the flavor.

It sounds to me that Bea has the secret...

I guess that flavor and tin can taste is part of what kept me from trying them in the past..

Perhaps I can provide added flavor and refreshing them with boiling water may be the key..

Thank you.. :)

Ross

The only thing I use canned potatoes for is a skillet dish with ground beef, onions, potatoes and cream of mushroom soup. With all that in the pot, the potatoes taste fine.

Ross,

Buy a couple of cans and experiment with them.

I always buy the whole ones because IMO they have a better texture.

I've fried them for breakfast when camping and also used them to make a quick potato salad at home.

Good luck!

The only thing I use canned potatoes for is a skillet dish with ground beef, onions, potatoes and cream of mushroom soup. With all that in the pot, the potatoes taste fine.
I have used them in similar ways. We used to make a camp stew that involved other canned veg, the canned potatoes, and ground beef. It was easy for the Girl Sprouts to make.

It's been donkey's years since I have used them, but one advantage I remember was that it was easy to use an egg slicer to get nice, even slices of the canned potatoes.

Another canned potato item for the emergency shelf is Read German Potato Salad.

It's good as is or it can be doctored up with a little crisp bacon and topped with FF onion rings for a potluck casserole.

I have used them in similar ways. We used to make a camp stew that involved other canned veg, the canned potatoes, and ground beef. It was easy for the Girl Sprouts to make...

As a matter of fact, that dish I described was a Boy Scout camping recipe someone taught me. We didn't always make it when camping, only when we didn't have to carry food a log way to the campsite as this cans are heavy in a backpack.

As a matter of fact, that dish I described was a Boy Scout camping recipe someone taught me. We didn't always make it when camping, only when we didn't have to carry food a log way to the campsite as this cans are heavy in a backpack.

I was sort of wondering about that. I always used to pack instant foods in a package. Like mashed potatoes, gravy mix, etc. The few cans the better. Any needs for other items like seasonings, thickeners, etc. I premeasured them out before we even headed out the door. Sometimes I would add an extra tablespoon but the less the better. Less stuff to have to tote home at the end of the trip. Garbage always went home with us though.

I can't do the canned potatoes thing. I've tried to give them a few shots, but they don't even taste like potatoes to me. Now, instant potatoes (mashed) I'll do on occasion. But 98% of the time, if I want potatoes, they have to be fresh.

Agreed, Linda. I've tried the canned potatoes maybe twice over the years, and I just couldn't get into it and ended up throwing them out. They just don't taste like potatoes to me. Although, maybe I should have rinsed them in hot water like Aunt Bea mentioned. I won't try them again. :)

Living alone, I rarely buy a bag of potatoes except when I'm making up a big potato salad for a family get together. Usually I just buy a few baby reds or yukons if I'm planning on grilling something that I think they would go well with. Or a big Russet, if I want a loaded up baked potato. :yum:

Agreed, Linda. I've tried the canned potatoes maybe twice over the years, and I just couldn't get into it and ended up throwing them out. They just don't taste like potatoes to me. Although, maybe I should have rinsed them in hot water like Aunt Bea mentioned. I won't try them again. :)

Living alone, I rarely buy a bag of potatoes except when I'm making up a big potato salad for a family get together. Usually I just buy a few baby reds or yukons if I'm planning on grilling something that I think they would go well with. Or a big Russet, if I want a loaded up baked potato. :yum:

Trust me, Cheryl... hot water, cold water, the best water in the world, nothing helps. Canned potatoes will always be canned potatoes, no matter what you do do them. Bland, slimy, rubbery and weird tasting. The only time they were at least somewhat edible was chopped up and put into a soup that contained many other ingredients. And even that didn't take the place of fresh.

Baby reds and yukons are the best! :yum:

Trust me, Cheryl... hot water, cold water, the best water in the world, nothing helps. Canned potatoes will always be canned potatoes, no matter what you do do them. Bland, slimy, rubbery and weird tasting. The only time they were at least somewhat edible was chopped up and put into a soup that contained many other ingredients. And even that didn't take the place of fresh.

Baby reds and yukons are the best! :yum:

I love those!

I can't do the canned potatoes thing. I've tried to give them a few shots, but they don't even taste like potatoes to me. Now, instant potatoes (mashed) I'll do on occasion. But 98% of the time, if I want potatoes, they have to be fresh.

For those instant taters, use half milk and half cream. Or just use half and half. You will think you are eating the real thing. And don't forget the butter and S&P. I always used a whisk on them. Kids and hubby never knew the truth.

For those instant taters, use half milk and half cream. Or just use half and half. You will think you are eating the real thing. And don't forget the butter and S&P. I always used a whisk on them. Kids and hubby never knew the truth.

Now, honestly, how could anyone forget the butter and S&P??? That would be tragic! :wacko:

I've used half & half on occasion, but I always use milk regardless. Some of those packaged flavored mashed potatoes call for using water and that just baffles me. I know there's milk already in the mix, but using water to make mashed potatoes is completely alien to me.

Now, honestly, how could anyone forget the butter and S&P??? That would be tragic! :wacko:

I've used half & half on occasion, but I always use milk regardless. Some of those packaged flavored mashed potatoes call for using water and that just baffles me. I know there's milk already in the mix, but using water to make mashed potatoes is completely alien to me.

When you're broke, you use potato cooking water to make the mashed potatoes.

Our local Penn Dutch has several varieties of potatoes that are loose and you take what you want. No canned potatoes for me.:ohmy:

A variety of loose potatoes seems to be the norm around here. Where we shop they no longer carry Yukon Gold. Now they offer 'yellow potatoes'.

A variety of loose potatoes seems to be the norm around here. Where we shop they no longer carry Yukon Gold. Now they offer 'yellow potatoes'.

Well that's a bummer. I looked up whether or not "yellow potatoes" were the same thing as Yukon Gold and it said that Yukon's are a 'type' of yellow potato, but not necessarily the same thing.

Back
Top Bottom