"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > I only have "these" ingredients...help me be creative

Old 01-28-2008, 07:43 PM   #51
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf View Post
A dish like this just might be able to handle a peanut sauce - that's not impossible!!!! I make a sauce for Vietnamese summer rolls out of fish sauce, lime, cilantro, dried chili pepper flakes and then I make another sauce the same way but add peanut butter to it. You could drizzle that on top for sure! Just heat in a little pot to melt the peanut butter. Toss on a few peanuts too!
Are you saying that peanut butter on its own can be used, or are other ingredients needed? There's lots of paprika in the cupboard (left there by previous students) :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonflystars View Post

Put carrots, onion, parsley and oil in a saucepan. Add 1/2 cup of the cold water. Cover and cook slowly, over low heat, until dry. Stir once in a while to prevent burning. Add the rest of the water, potato, celery and salt, boil rapidly. Put through a strainer (sieve). Heat the milk and add to the soup.

I'm not sure that I understand the recipe - how will the stuff dry in the first part, if it's covered during cooking? Also, when I put it through a strainer, am I supposed to be turning it into pulp? I wonder why a hand-held blender is not an option?

No-one has yet come up with any suggestions for my monosodium glutamate!

Old 01-28-2008, 07:48 PM   #52
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by seans_potato_business View Post

No-one has yet come up with any suggestions for my monosodium glutamate!
MSG is a flavor enhancer just as salt is. You do not need specific recipes for it. Just sprinkle it on anything you want.

Old 01-29-2008, 05:38 AM   #53
Master Chef

Be careful when using MSG if you're having company over. Like peanuts and peanut oil, a lot of people are sensitive to it. When it is "just us" (meaning DH, people I'm related to or know well, or me) I don't think twice about it. But if it is "look who's coming to dinner" -- someone I don't know well -- I avoid it. One time I found a relative of a friend wandering in the kitchen. He wanted to know if I'd put anything peanut in my Thanksgiving dinner. You'd think someone would have let me know he was allergic. I opened my cupboards and really thought about it (seriously, you'd be surprised how much stuff has nut oil in it). Thank heaven the grease of choice for Thanksgiving is ..... BUTTER! No one went into anaphylactic shock so I guess I did OK. No MSG either (since you're talking vegetarian, it doesn't apply ... I use MSG on meat when I stir-fry. Really brings out the flavor).
Old 01-30-2008, 11:54 AM   #54
Assistant Cook

That vegetarian recipe

Yes, that is a rather bland and somewhat tasteless recipe. I am not a vegetarian. If you put some meat in it, maybe cayenne pepper. I was trying to find something that would use what is on the list. There isn't much other than salads. MSG, stay away from it. There is a legitimate reason why all better Chinese restaurants in our area advertise they do not use it. My mouth would go numb after I ate it.

Dragonflystars
Old 01-30-2008, 12:11 PM   #55
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
MSG, stay away from it. There is a legitimate reason why all better Chinese restaurants in our area advertise they do not use it. My mouth would go numb after I ate it.

Dragonflystars
There is nothing wrong with MSG for the majority of people. The reasons those restaurants do not use it is because of the mass hysteria the media created. Only a very very small percentage of people are actually allergic to it.
Old 01-30-2008, 12:16 PM   #56
Senior Cook

Quote:
Yes, that is a rather bland and somewhat tasteless recipe. I am not a vegetarian. If you put some meat in it, maybe cayenne pepper. I was trying to find something that would use what is on the list. There isn't much other than salads. MSG, stay away from it. There is a legitimate reason why all better Chinese restaurants in our area advertise they do not use it. My mouth would go numb after I ate it.

Dragonflystars
I read that the health scares are just hype and that MSG can actually improve most people's health by reducing their overall sodium intake (since its more efficacious than regular table salt). I imagine the Chinese restaurants have to pander to the hype, since otherwise no-one would go there; i wouldn't say that it confirms the rumours. Anyway, I can follow your recipe (thanks) but will have to use celery salt instead of celery.

Edit: I'm pleased to announce the addition of macaroni made from durum wheat, to my pantry. It's higher in protein, slightly higher in carbohydrates and lower in fat, than brown rice! :)
Old 02-01-2008, 10:23 AM   #57
Senior Cook

I just made this sprout and rice "casserole"! I used regular cheese instead of parmesan, black pepper instead of white pepper (I tasted the sauce and it was good!) and cut out the ham. I made breadcrumbs using my cheese grater (not the sort of job for a hand-held blender). It's cooking now (the microwave has a temperature setting and I don't know how it works exactly but I think it's meant to be similar to a regular oven).
Brussels Sprouts And Rice Casserole Recipe | Brussels Sprouts Recipes @ CDKitchen.com :: it's what's cooking online!

Edit: Analysis:
Well, considering all the sprouts, it was quite nice! The sprouts were better than I expected and everything else was great, but the sprouts were still the worst part :/ What a cruel trick nature has played! They're cheap and nutritious, but taste akin to earwax...

Edit2:
In the same way that you can give generic instructions to make soup, is it possible to do the same for a casserole?
Old 02-05-2008, 01:23 PM   #58
Senior Cook

Can I turn tomato puree (strained tomatoes) into a sauce to have with pasta (in this case macaroni)? Do I just mix some herbs in there? Maybe a diced onion?

I'm also interested in different sauces I can make from milk, based on my list of ingredients in the first post. Thanks in advance :)
Old 02-05-2008, 01:36 PM   #59
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by seans_potato_business View Post
Can I turn tomato puree (strained tomatoes) into a sauce to have with pasta (in this case macaroni)? Do I just mix some herbs in there? Maybe a diced onion?

I'm also interested in different sauces I can make from milk, based on my list of ingredients in the first post. Thanks in advance :)
You're killin' us sean!!!!

Yes, saute some onions, add puree, add the appropriate Italian herbs, even a bit of red wine, cook a bit to let flavors blend and serve with macaroni - that's just your basic sauce - no big deal - it's like HOW you make a red sauce, not IF you can make a red sauce with it

Now, for your milk question. Do you know how to make a roux - if you don't google it. Once you have your roux made you can slowly add the milk, whisking the whole time. From here you can add cheese and make homemade mac and cheese, or creamed peas (add some cooked potato cubes). This is a bechamel sauce.

If you google Bechamel you will be presented with a LOT of ideas if you wade through the links. Doing searches like this really gives you lots of ideas!

You could make an alfredo-type sauce also. Lots of recipes for Alfredo to search right here at DC.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 02:14 PM   #60
Senior Cook

Thanks for the great advice! It might not seem like it, but I've been cooking for myself for four and a half years already! One of my first "creations" was a rosti. The recipe said to use a "clove" of garlic. I figured "clove" was a fancy name for a bulb of garlic, so I used the whole thing! It turned out green and I managed to feed myself about half (I hate waste) before I felt too sick to continue... then I turned green!