Can red tomatoes be substituted for green tomatoes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:LOL: Me, too! But I eat the red ones too. Well, it's good gardening practice to thin out, isn't it :angel:

We only eat them red, but that's because I can never keep the breading on when I try to make fried green tomatoes. My mother-in-law used to make chow chow with the green tomatoes, but we don't like it so I don't bother making it. When the tomatoes are finished ripening at the end of the season, I wrap them in newspaper and in several days they are ripe. They aren't as good as the vine ripened, but better than store bought. I buy tomatoes in the store throughout the winter, even though they don't begin to measure up to home grown.

Substitution rescue!

Tomatillos can be used as a sub for green tomatoes they have the firmness and the tartness that green tomatoes possess and red ones seem to lack. they can be found at just about any Latino market. contrary to what some may claim they are not just "small tomatoes" as there name suggest but a member of the gooseberry family. simply remove there outer husk and wash.​

Back
Top Bottom