"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Substitutions

Old 03-01-2009, 12:42 PM   #1
Honey Badger

Lard Usage?

I hope I'm asking this question in the right section.

I bought some Lard to replace Crisco for baking.Like everything else at the store lately Crisco has gone up twice the price it normally would be.

To use lard in a recipe that would normally call for Crisco.Do I need to increase/decrease the amount used in a recipe? Or should I just eye it?

I've never used lard before.

Thanks,

Munky.

Old 03-01-2009, 12:47 PM   #2
Everymom

Exactly the same amount. Lard is merely animal based fat instead of vegetable based, like Crisco.

Edit: PS, moved this to substitutions.

Old 03-01-2009, 12:58 PM   #3
Master Chef

Especially for pastries, lard will give you superior results to vegetable shortenings. And contrary to popular belief, lard (rendered pig fat), is actually healthier for the body than is hydrogenated vegetable shortening (transfats). I think you will like your results.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 01:01 PM   #4
Honey Badger

Thank you for moving this.

It was one of those posts "Not sure this is the correct spot?" but let's try anyways..

That would be a great section to have added here.I can't be the only one.. Ok I probably am the only one... :)

Re Lard:

Thanks for the info.The Lard was $2.00 more than the Crisco,and it's a 10 pound container.Crisco's was 2 pounds.. Saved some money.Yeah!!!!! :)

Thanks

Munky.
Old 03-01-2009, 01:07 PM   #5
Honey Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodweed of the North View Post
Especially for pastries, lard will give you superior results to vegetable shortenings. And contrary to popular belief, lard (rendered pig fat), is actually healthier for the body than is hydrogenated vegetable shortening (transfats). I think you will like your results.

Ohhh I didn't know that...I'm not that great at baking,but I try to improve.

I've mastered the art of biscuits finally,and was concerned about replacing the Crisco..That's pretty much all I use it for.

I've noticed that the newer cook books call for Lard to be used..Interesting...

Thanks.

Munky.
Old 03-07-2009, 08:05 PM   #6
Senior Cook

I kept lard around for seasoning cast iron. I heard that homemade biscuits with lard are so much better than Crisco. They are correct. The missus doesn't like it when I use lard, but I still sneak it in every now and then.
Old 03-08-2009, 08:44 AM   #7
Master Chef

pies made with lard are easy-peasy to roll out.......I bought mine in blocks in the UK and keep it in the freezer to prolong its life......all oils and shortenings will go rancid after awhile.......I love using lard......of course I don't eat sweets either.........only thing I can use outside of Crisco (which same verse second as the first......you can't get here)
Old 03-09-2009, 08:40 PM   #8
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatgirl View Post
pies made with lard are easy-peasy to roll out.......I bought mine in blocks in the UK and keep it in the freezer to prolong its life......all oils and shortenings will go rancid after awhile.......I love using lard......of course I don't eat sweets either.........only thing I can use outside of Crisco (which same verse second as the first......you can't get here)
"Second verse, same as the first.
Oim 'enery the eighth oi am
'enery the eighth oi am, oi am.
Oi got married to the widda next store.
She's been married, seven times before..."

See the things you do to me, expat? Took me back to my young days, when I was just a lad, in the 60's, when I could easily touch my wrists to my toes, and my forehead to my knees. My eldest sister was a Herman's Hermits fan, big time. Me? Not so much. Oh the horrors she put me through with her control of the stereo.

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 08:48 PM   #9
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodweed of the North View Post
"Second verse, same as the first.
Oim 'enery the eighth oi am
'enery the eighth oi am, oi am.
Oi got married to the widda next store.
She's been married, seven times before..."

See the things you do to me, expat? Took me back to my young days, when I was just a lad, in the 60's, when I could easily touch my wrists to my toes, and my forehead to my knees. My eldest sister was a Herman's Hermits fan, big time. Me? Not so much. Oh the horrors she put me through with her control of the stereo.

OMG, GW, I thought the same thing. Every one was an 'Enery!
Old 03-17-2009, 05:08 PM   #10
Honey Badger

I've a few more questions regarding lard usage.

When using lard to deep fry is it normal for it to melt/cook at a hotter temp then vegetable oil would?

I'm glad to have made that switch.Now it's kind of in a way for me,relearning how to cook certain things.

For an exact example,I deep fried some chickens the other night.I noticed that the lard had come up to temp much faster then veg oil would have.
And the flavor of the seasoned flour was off just a bit.I know I added the normal amount of seasonings.Just didn't taste much of them.

Other then that that chicken was pretty good.It didn't have that heavy oil taste at all.It was very light,and after checking under the rack I had the finished pieces on.No excess oil drippings.I thought that was great :)

All 3 chickens were gone by that night.That's never happened before.
I might even try to make a pie crust again..

It's a new thing for me to adjust to.Any pointers that you might have would be appreciated.
Thank you.

Munky.