"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Substitutions

Old 06-04-2008, 05:48 AM   #11
Senior Cook

You can also use cereal oats or semolina for thickening soups. In fact I never use cream in my soups.

Old 06-05-2008, 07:03 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

I didn't just want it thicker but still creamy so I decided to try the soymilk and margarine. I left out a cup of water and used 3/4cup milk and 1/3cup margarine. It tastes the same but doesn't look the same. It looks watery and the butter makes a brownish layer on top when it's cool. Works if you ignore the difference in appearance until it's heated up again. I might actually replace a little more of the water with soymilk next time but definitely not more butter.

Old 06-05-2008, 10:02 PM   #13
Executive Chef

You could make a roux, or mashed potatoes, or that carnation non dairy creamer. Just don't get a flavoured one.
When I want to substitute heavy cream I use Land O Lakes fat free creamer. Unfortunately for you, it's not for the lactose challenged.

Edited to add: I looked at the product in my fridge..It's Land O Lakes fat free half and half. Very Very good product.
Old 06-05-2008, 10:21 PM   #14
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeraBlue View Post
...Land O Lakes fat free creamer...

Vera, how does that stuff stand up to heat?
Old 06-06-2008, 09:28 AM   #15
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Vera, how does that stuff stand up to heat?
It doesn't break, if that's what you are asking.
Old 06-06-2008, 09:49 AM   #16
Master Chef

I've never worked with soy milk but my nieces and nephew are like you. They usually use the Lactaid milk. I've made my own evaporated Lactaid milk and maybe you can try the same with your soy which may make it creamier. All you do is put twice as much milk in a sauce pan as you need for your recipe. Turn the burner on low and let it heat up slow and then let it cook down to half volume. It will be thicker and may become a little yellower or golden colored then add it to your soup. I do this for my pumpkin pie recipe that called for evaporated milk so my nieces can have some and no one can taste the difference.
Old 06-06-2008, 09:56 AM   #17
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeraBlue View Post
It doesn't break, if that's what you are asking.

Yup. thanks.
Old 06-07-2008, 01:09 AM   #18
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by akane View Post
I'm lactose intollerant but I love this spicy sausage and potato soup. The recipe uses 1 cup of heavy cream and without it the soup is rather thin and seems watery. I saw on one site substituting butter and milk which for me would be margarine and soymilk in place of cream. Other suggestions that I'm not as confident would come out right were yogurt and coolwhip. Any ideas how to make the soup creamier while avoiding using milk products unless they are soy?
Hi Akane,

A spicy sausage and potato soup should not need cream in any shape or form!

Finely dice an onion and sweat/sauté in olive oil and butter over a medium heat. In other words, cook the onion for 10-15 minutes over a lightly sizzling heat, in a covered pan. The noise the pan should make is a gentle buzz like a lazy bumble bee - not an angry wasp! Give the pan a few stirs, just to mix things up! Add well washed and finely diced potatoes and stir in with the onion and 1/2/3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped. The amount of garlic you add depends upon your preference. You could add 1 clove, in it`s skin and remove before serving for a very mild flavour or add it finely sliced for a more intense flavour or grated for an even more intense flavour.

Add STOCK (not water), either home-made stock or made from using a vegetable or chicken stock cube or preferably a boullion mix, (made up according to the directions given) to cover the vegetables by one/two inches. Simmer the potatoes, covered, over a low heat until the potatoes are cooked. Meanwhile, cut the chorizo into fine dice. Use a fork or potato masher and mash the potatoes leaving some lumps in the mix. Add the diced chorizo, stir in and heat through over a medium heat for 5 minutes. Taste and season as necessary - you will find that you don`t need cream!

Hope this helps,
Archiduc