"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-30-2010, 03:15 PM   #1
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 26
Black mold in maple syrup bottle?

There's some fuzzy black mold growing around the inside of the lid of the bottle. I cleaned it out and the maple syurp itself seems to be flawless. Should I trash it?

__________________

__________________
bentrinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 03:59 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,395
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentrinh View Post
There's some fuzzy black mold growing around the inside of the lid of the bottle. I cleaned it out and the maple syurp itself seems to be flawless. Should I trash it?
If you want to keep it, I'd pour it into a pan and bring it to a boil first then pour it back into a clean bottle.
__________________

__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 04:20 PM   #3
Master Chef
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 9,896
I knew that would be the question.

Back to the tried and true answer....."when in doubt, throw it out".
__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 04:23 PM   #4
Master Chef
 
Chief Longwind Of The North's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: USA,Michigan
Posts: 9,229
Living up here in maple syrup country, we know that mold in maple syrup, even if floating on top, does not harm the syrup. you simply pour or skim it off. However... Black mold differs from the white, or cream colored mold that grows in the syrup bottle. As black mold in buildings is a cause for serious concern, I would first wash the top of the syrup bottle, then put the syrup into a pan and boil it for about 5 minutes. While it's boiling, wash the bottle and cap in hot, soapy water, with a tsp. or so of bleach added. Rinse in clear, hot water. Add the syrup back in and you should be good to go.

I'm not an expert on molds, but the two words that raise the alarm flag for me are black, and mold.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North
__________________
“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 01:07 AM   #5
Head Chef
 
mcnerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,326
Studies of mold that grows on jams, long thought to be just on the surface and easily just scraped off, was in error and the mold tentacles were growing throughout the jam.

I would not test your immune system. Throw it out. Also there is no guarantee that boiling for 5 minutes will destroy established spores of mold and possible other bacteria. Its definitely not the same thing as doing a fresh canning procedure.
__________________
Support bacteria. It's the only culture some people have.
mcnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 10:31 AM   #6
Executive Chef
 
bethzaring's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Northern New Mexico
Posts: 4,603
hmmmm, long time maple syrup user here, and for decades have employed the skim, boil and rebottle method....but am seriously reconsidering that technique....interesting reading all the posts after the article...

The fungus in my maple syrup :Cornell Mushroom Blog
__________________
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead
bethzaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 06:59 PM   #7
Senior Cook
 
mozart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerd View Post
Studies of mold that grows on jams, long thought to be just on the surface and easily just scraped off, was in error and the mold tentacles were growing throughout the jam.

I would not test your immune system. Throw it out. Also there is no guarantee that boiling for 5 minutes will destroy established spores of mold and possible other bacteria. Its definitely not the same thing as doing a fresh canning procedure.
Bacteria can't live or multiply in Maple syrup. The water activity is too low.
__________________
mozart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 12:03 AM   #8
Head Chef
 
mcnerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,326
Then what do you call the black mold?
__________________
Support bacteria. It's the only culture some people have.
mcnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 01:20 AM   #9
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerd View Post
Then what do you call the black mold?
Tony, but he never calls back.

Sorry couldn't resist.
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 10:24 AM   #10
Senior Cook
 
mozart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerd View Post
Then what do you call the black mold?
Mold and bacteria are totally different life forms, just like viruses and bacteria are different. Bacteria require certain conditions to live and grow. Pathogenic bacteria require even more exacting conditions. Examples are favorable temperature, time, food and moisture. Moisture is measured by "free water" and that is measured by water activity. If you read Bethzaring's link above you will find some information there.

There are no pathogenic bacteria or spores that will reproduce in maple syrup.

I have found the best solution to the OPs problem is to eat the maple syrup before it has a chance to become moldy. Bottles rarely last more than a month in my house in the fridge.
__________________

__________________
mozart is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.