"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 12-18-2014, 09:55 PM   #11
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjim68 View Post
If you are not too sqeamish it's interesting to read the FDA standards.
Good grief! The FDA Food Defect Action Level booklet is... eyeopening? Terrifying?

I can see how such contaminants are unavoidable though. I'm sure we eat a lot more "bug filth and excreta" (to quote the aforementioned document) than we imagine.

Old 12-21-2014, 04:27 AM   #12
Head Chef

Thanks to all who replied. The J.M. Smucker company (probably the owner of Pillsbury flour) has already contacted me for more information. I will wait for their findings and action.

The reason I find the flour with insect unacceptable is because my husband is in the food manufacturing business (specializing in milk powders) and while he fully understands the nature of agriculture-based raw materials, an insect in the final product is not to be tolerated at all. There are all kinds of food safety standards that companies are held up to. He was the one who encouraged me to make the complaint.

Old 12-21-2014, 04:56 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Many years ago we had in Boston a conductor for the Boston Pops by the name of Arthur Fiedler. He was asked what was the most difficult thing he found about conducting the orchestra outside in the shell.

"All the bugs I have to eat on a hot summer night. Maybe I will learn to keep my mouth shut some day. But I just figure it is just extra protein in my diet. I am constantly getting flying bugs in my mouth, so I just swallow them."

He lived to a ripe old age.
Old 12-21-2014, 08:18 AM   #14
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
Me too but in all fairness my eyesight was better when I was a kid ;)

In gonna stop wearing my glasses when preparing food, seems safer that way

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 11:16 AM   #15
Executive Chef

Good grief! It's just one bug. Sift your flour, and continue to march.
Old 12-21-2014, 04:07 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopstix View Post
Thanks to all who replied. The J.M. Smucker company (probably the owner of Pillsbury flour) has already contacted me for more information. I will wait for their findings and action.

The reason I find the flour with insect unacceptable is because my husband is in the food manufacturing business (specializing in milk powders) and while he fully understands the nature of agriculture-based raw materials, an insect in the final product is not to be tolerated at all. There are all kinds of food safety standards that companies are held up to. He was the one who encouraged me to make the complaint.
My training in dietetics made me aware that there are certain legal amounts of non foods that are allowed in food products.

this from Wikipedia..
The Food Defect Action Levels

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search
The Food Defect Action Levels: Levels of natural or unavoidable defects in foods that present no health hazards for humans is a publication of the United States Food and Drug Administration's Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition[1] detailing acceptable levels of food contamination from sources such as maggots, thrips, insect fragments, "foreign matter", mold, rodent hairs, and insect and mammalian feces.
The publication details the acceptable amounts of contaminants on a per food basis, listing both the defect source (pre-harvest infection, processing infestation, processing contamination, etc.) and significance (aesthetic, potential health hazard, mouth/tooth injury, etc.). For example, the limit of insect contaminants allowed in canned or frozen peaches is specified as: "In 12 1-pound cans or equivalent, one or more larvae and/or larval fragments whose aggregate length exceeds 5 mm."[1]
The Food Defect Action Levels was first published in 1995. A printed version of the publication may be obtained by written request to the Food and Drug Administration (FDA).

And as a long time bicycle rider, I have inadvertently eaten many bugs, to no ill effect.
Old 12-21-2014, 04:30 PM   #17
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
It's just added protein!
My late mother would've said, "Shut up and keep baking, Daizy! Now everyone is going to want bugs in their flour!"

I sympathize with you, though, Chopstix.
Old 12-21-2014, 04:49 PM   #18
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Admittedly, the bug parts allowed in flour are not usually as large as the ones Chopstix found.
Old 12-21-2014, 06:53 PM   #19
Assistant Cook

I sympathize with OP, but it is pretty hard to remove the eggs (which hatch) from many packaged items. I remember my mom taking out some powdered sugar to make frosting and finding dried insects inside. That stuck in my memory to this day. But it isn't been a complete deal breaker when the occasional need for sweets arises.

Tags
flour