"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 06-30-2008, 10:31 AM   #11
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
that is just crazy! Wow.

Old 06-30-2008, 10:59 AM   #12
Senior Cook

This makes more sense...........

Fish-of-the-day sauce a killer | theage.com.au

Notice that the coroner indicates that 4 hours not 2 is the allowable time, and that 9.8 colony forming units per gram is not the same at 9.8 million "parts" per 10 million "parts".

Old 06-30-2008, 12:29 PM   #13
Head Chef

That's just horrible.

When I first saw the title, I thought "I can think of a bunch of ways to kill a kitchen pretty quick... but they probably involved information the mods or homeland security wouldn't want me posting... "

But to see someone actually die... and to see that the operators openly admit to not knowing the safety standard???

ronjohn55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 12:36 PM   #14
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjohn55 View Post
That's just horrible.

But to see someone actually die... and to see that the operators openly admit to not knowing the safety standard???
I don't think the first article is correct. The standard is 4 hours according to the coroner.

They knew the standard, they just didn't follow it.
Old 06-30-2008, 12:53 PM   #15
Assistant Cook

Send a message via MSN to frozen drink Send a message via Yahoo to frozen drink
Oh my god, this is totally horrible and definitely a bad nightmare to those unfortunate patrons who dined at the so Called "Award winning" restaurant...

I'm also truly shocked about the enormous amount of bacteria which consist 9.8 million out of 10 million here!

Unbelievable indeed...
Old 06-30-2008, 03:31 PM   #16
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozen drink View Post

I'm also truly shocked about the enormous amount of bacteria which consist 9.8 million out of 10 million here!

Unbelievable indeed...
Unbelievable because it isn't true. It is 9.8 million colony forming units per gram. The range for contamination is 100,000 to 100 million colony forming units, so this is in the less than 10% range of the scale.

This may explain why only two others reported any symptoms at all and they were minor.

Sadly, this older gentleman had a worse than normal reaction to the toxin and died of a ruptured stomach due to his violent vomiting.

The restaurant will in all likelihood be out of business soon due to lack of costumers and the effects of the lawsuit that will probably be filed.
Old 06-30-2008, 06:30 PM   #17
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
sorta like a moderater berating a member for possibly asking a question in a post? i'm still not sure if babe's post is a question, or statement of fact.

relax, i won't leave this post up very long.
Actually, Bucky, I was demonstrating that I am no authority on Australian health and food laws and pointing to the only source of reference I had on the subject in trying to answer what I thought might have been a legitimate question by a fellow DC member.
Old 06-30-2008, 06:41 PM   #18
Head Chef

This may be a silly question but I am now concerned with using a crockpot. Wouldn't the same rule apply about time?
Old 06-30-2008, 07:08 PM   #19
Senior Cook

How about this one:

Meat News. Meatexport.co.nz

This did happen - I remember hearing about it in the news. (No deaths in this story, thank goodness).
Old 06-30-2008, 07:45 PM   #20
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by elaine l View Post
This may be a silly question but I am now concerned with using a crockpot. Wouldn't the same rule apply about time?
I think the issue here is the sauce was let cool to room temp, then most likely put in a cool room, then reheated the next day. They did this for several days if the article and my memory are correct.