"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 09-17-2008, 10:58 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Washing eggs

This is probably the first time anyone has ask this question on here. My husband has chickens and now we are getting a few eggs. Do I wash these eggs before putting in the fridge or wait until I use them. It seems like I have read not to wash before putting in the fridge. Anyone live on a farm and know the answer to this?

Old 09-17-2008, 11:00 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
We just kept our eggs on the counter... and we didn't wash them until it was time to scramble them up ( unless they were really filthy)

Old 09-17-2008, 11:06 PM   #3
Senior Cook

Do they keep well leaving them out? This is all new to me. But I do know they are good eggs and make the best pound cakes. The hens aren't laying that many now, but hope things will pick up soon.
Old 09-17-2008, 11:15 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
In Mexico and Greece they never put the eggs in the fridge..they keep just fine.

Enjoy your chickens!!
Old 09-17-2008, 11:22 PM   #5
Senior Cook

Hmmm that is interesting.
Old 09-17-2008, 11:26 PM   #6
Senior Cook

I have heard that eggs should be kept on the countertop but I have never done that. I think once they're refrigerated they need to stay refrigerated. Perhaps the eggs that can be kept on the counter are the organic ones, is that right? Does anyone know?
Old 09-18-2008, 01:52 AM   #7
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoolgirl View Post
This is probably the first time anyone has ask this question on here. My husband has chickens and now we are getting a few eggs. Do I wash these eggs before putting in the fridge or wait until I use them. It seems like I have read not to wash before putting in the fridge. Anyone live on a farm and know the answer to this?
Do not wash the eggs until ready to use. Well, you can - but then you have to dry them and coat the shells with mineral oil to replace the natural air/bacteria barrier you washed off.

This is one of the things I remember from my uncle - who had an egg farm / chicken ranch.

Well, Uncle Jullian taught me other things about raising chickens/turkeys and eggs too (sizing, candeling, etc.) ... Grandma taught me how to dispatch a chicken to heaven for Sunday dinner (wringing their neck - plucking, etc.)
Old 09-18-2008, 05:36 AM   #8
Sous Chef

Michael is spot on in his post, wipe them clean but do not wash them. If you want to keep the eggs in the fridge, by all means do so but don't use them to make a sponge cake. I don't know how long they keep unrefrigerated but we don't worry about storing them in the fridge until summer----say above 30C avv.
Old 09-18-2008, 06:34 AM   #9
Certified Pretend Chef

Eggs will last 7 times longer in the fridge than at room temperature. If you use up your eggs in a couple of days it shouldn't matter where you store them. If they hang around longer, you probably should refrigerate.

It seems that you are giving up the super freshness of your eggs by leaving them out.
Old 09-18-2008, 06:47 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Yep. you are not supposed to actually wash them because doing so will remove the blume which will cause the eggs to spoil more quickly. It is generally accepted though that wiping the bit of "dirt" off with a damp paper towel is acceptable if you have to. A lot of folks sell eggs and like them to look presentable. I rarely get dirty eggs because I keep the nestboxes clean, and it's not like the hens sit in them and poop all day, even the broody ones. So there really isn't much to keeping them clean.

Eggs will last longer storing them in the fridge, but it is OK to leave them out, too. What I do with mine is to leave the carton out that I am currently filling, then move it into the fridge when it's full. When I need eggs, I grab a carton out of the fridge (first in, first out) and set it on a shelf in the kitchen. I use eggs from that carton, so they are room temp.
As a test, I did not put a carton in the fridge and let it set out for about a month at room temp. I noticed no difference with the eggs and they even sank when putting them in water, a sign of freshness.

Got any pics of your setup?