Cream of Broccoli soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cheryl J

Chef Extraordinaire
Hi all, here is the starting base I use for Cream of Broccoli soup, it's from allrecipes. I've made so many versions over the years and in my humble opinion, this is one of the best.

Best Cream Of Broccoli Soup Recipe - Allrecipes.com

My additions are to add some cubed potatoes to the simmering veggies, and a couple of cloves of chopped garlic. I also use the whole broccoli, not just the florets as the recipe calls for. :huh: A mixture of half and half with the milk does wonders, as does a dash or two of cayenne pepper.

Also, I don't puree it in the blender. As Ina Garten says, "I don't want baby food." lol. I just use a potato masher to keep the texture.

Another thing :LOL:, there is no need to use a separate pan for the roux. Just sprinkling some flour on the cooked veggies and cooking it through works fine. Add your milk until it's the consistency you like and enjoy.

Thanks for posting this.
I don't do a lot with cream soups and like to see a TNT recipe that someone endorses.
And it will give me an opportunnity to use my stick blender!

My ingredient list is the same, I steam the chopped broccoli until tender. I save the steaming water. Once the broccoli is tender, I sauté it with the onion, celery (and garlic) in butter, sprinkle the flour over and cook it out a little. Then I use the steaming water as "broth", must have something in it, it's green! Then add in my 1/2 & 1/2 at the end. No stick blender needed unless you want to chop up the broccoli a bit more.

Nice, Cheryl! Similar to mine, except I don't use any flour, I peel, chop, and boil the broccoli stalks and some florets in chicken broth, then use the "boat motor". Add a few nonblended florets too. Sometimes I use Half and Half, sometimes not. And Velveeta, added off heat!

Last edited:
I do mine the same but I like a smoother soup so I use my stick blender,especially to blend in the stalks, leaving some of the tender florets to float around. I almost always add a small brick of Velveeta cheese cubes at the end and heat till blended.

Thanks for the reminder, it's a wonderful and easy stick to the ribs comfort food.

Thank you all for your replies and sharing your methods. :wub: I just might have to get myself a stick blender/boat motor. lol :LOL::)

Okay, what's a boat motor, a portable mixer, maybe? Please, y'all, don't confuse the Z.

A stick blender...Emeril always calls it a boat motor.

31MDJZQP5XL.jpg

When I make a "cream of" soup that includes potatoes/squash/pumpkin/carrots, I use the "boat motor" on 1/2 of the veggies and return that to the rest of the pot. This thickens the soup without having to add flour. Want it thicker? Blend more of the veggies. I can reduce the amount of milk/cream considerably by using the potatoes or other veggies as the thickening agent (and the whipped potatoes add a creaminess).I never add Velveeta...come to think of it, I can't recall the last time I bought Velveeta...

Cream of ??? Soup

The Culinary Institute of America, in their "Book Of Soups", identifies a cream soup base with interchangeable main ingredients.

"CREAM OF" SOUP

Main Ingredient
¼ C Olive Oil
1¼ C Chopped Onion
1 Celery Stalk, chopped
1 Leek, chopped
¼ C All-Purpose Flour
6 C Chicken Broth
½ C Heavy Cream, heated
TT Lemon Juice
TT Salt & Pepper

For the Main Ingredient you can add any one of the following:

2 Lb of Broccoli
2 Lb of Celery
3 Lb of Asparagus

I've made it with the broccoli and it's very good.

That's a good standard base. Would be good with just potatoes, too, or cauliflower. Broccoli is my fave. :yum:

The Culinary Institute of America, in their "Book Of Soups", identifies a cream soup base with interchangeable main ingredients.

"CREAM OF" SOUP

Main Ingredient
¼ C Olive Oil
1¼ C Chopped Onion
1 Celery Stalk, chopped
1 Leek, chopped
¼ C All-Purpose Flour
6 C Chicken Broth
½ C Heavy Cream, heated
TT Lemon Juice
TT Salt & Pepper

For the Main Ingredient you can add any one of the following:

2 Lb of Broccoli
2 Lb of Celery
3 Lb of Asparagus

I've made it with the broccoli and it's very good.

Thank you for posting this! I had a base recipe for cream soup years ago and lost it. This one seems a lot like it.

Back
Top Bottom