"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Herbs and Spices

Old 05-04-2008, 07:00 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Cayenne peppers?

Hi all is cayenne peppers a generic term for red chillis

Thank you

Old 05-04-2008, 07:18 AM   #2
Master Chef

no, Nick, I don't think that cayenne and red chiles are not the same but you can sub them for a lot of recipes---they may be in the same genus of peppers---that I don't know but both have a kick and that's what most people go for when they use them

Old 05-04-2008, 08:33 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Cayenne is just one variety of around 200 varieties of Chiles...So like Miss Expatgirl said...N0 Cayenne is not a generic term for all chilies (peppers)

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 01:22 PM   #4
Cook

The fruits are generally dried and ground, or pulped and baked into cakes, which are then ground and sifted to make the powder, Cayenne pepper. There are a ton of medicinal purposes as well.
Old 08-03-2008, 12:51 PM   #5
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicklord1 View Post
Hi all is cayenne peppers a generic term for red chillis

Thank you
cayenne pepper and chilli pepper are the same thing, except when the chilli pepper refers to chile con carne, when it contains other things such as salt, cumin and herbs.

Cayenne is a port in French Guiana, South America, from where chilli pepper was exported to Europe, Africa, India and China/Japan. So any variety of chilli pepper could be called cayenne, although there is a specific variety called 'cayenne', which has a long history, and may well have been one of the three original chillies taken to India to cultivate.

Some manufactures of chilli powder will blend various kinds of chilli to produce a more consistant (heat and colour) product.

The best way to deal with all this is buy whole dried chilli peppers of known origin (and variety) and grind them yourself. This way you may be able to detect subtle differences, but is anything subtle with chillies?
Old 08-03-2008, 12:59 PM   #6
Chief Eating Officer

Cayenne pepper is not a generic term. It is a specific type of pepper just as jalapeno, habanero, and Anaheim are all types of specific peppers.
Old 08-03-2008, 01:18 PM   #7
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Cayenne pepper is not a generic term. It is a specific type of pepper just as jalapeno, habanero, and Anaheim are all types of specific peppers.
cayenne pepper is both a generic term and a specific variety (cultivar). Ground cayenne pepper, bought in a shop is a ground mix of any chilli varieties.
A cayene pepper (fruit) is a cultivar of the species Capsicum annuum.

Two different meanings for two different things.

from Wikipedia.....Cayenne pepper is considered to be a misnomer by the American Spice Trade Association, which prefers the more generic term red pepper. Generally speaking any of a number of peppers are called cayenne.
Old 08-03-2008, 01:21 PM   #8
Master Chef

As a hot-pepper fanatic (both growing & cooking), I must add/agree that Cayenne Pepper is definitely NOT just a generic term for ground hot red pepper. It is a very specific variety of pepper that I frequently grow myself. Here's a link to just one cultivar of Cayenne:

http://rareseeds.com/search.php

Others I'm familiar with are "Super Cayenne", "Long Red Slim", & "Hot Portugal". These are all "cultivars" of "Cayenne" peppers.

Unfortunately, I believe many people, if not totally confused by the sheer number of different hot peppers in existence, are equally confused by the term "cultivar". While Cayenne is a specific variety of pepper, there are a number of different "cultivars" of that specific variety, just as there are different "cultivars" of every other vegetable on the planet. There are a number of different cultivars of Bell Pepper, of Jalapeno, of Habanero. None of these are "generic" terms, & neither is Cayenne.
Old 08-03-2008, 01:29 PM   #9
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking View Post
As a hot-pepper fanatic (both growing & cooking), I must add/agree that Cayenne Pepper is definitely NOT just a generic term for ground hot red pepper. It is a very specific variety of pepper that I frequently grow myself. Here's a link to just one cultivar of Cayenne:

http://rareseeds.com/search.php

Others I'm familiar with are "Super Cayenne", "Long Red Slim", & "Hot Portugal". These are all "cultivars" of "Cayenne" peppers.

Unfortunately, I believe many people, if not totally confused by the sheer number of different hot peppers in existence, are equally confused by the term "cultivar". While Cayenne is a specific variety of pepper, there are a number of different "cultivars" of that specific variety, just as there are different "cultivars" of every other vegetable on the planet. There are a number of different cultivars of Bell Pepper, of Jalapeno, of Habanero. None of these are "generic" terms, & neither is Cayenne.

not disagreeing with what you have said, but the term 'cayenne pepper', as used in culinary terms, can be a powdered mix of any chilli variety/cultivar.
Old 08-03-2008, 01:40 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Probably more than you ever wanted to know about capsicum, but here you go: Capsicums: Innovative Uses of an Ancient Crop

Tags
None