Putting Up Basil

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't mean to rain on this parade, but frankly, regardless of the safe 2-year lifespan you've had, I'd be much too afraid of botulism to try this method.
than don't try it. but my family, friends and i are STILL alive because SALT preserves food and thats a fact!! keep it in the refrigerator. otherwise there would be NO people alive due to no refrigeration and they found that salt keeps food safe from germs!!

I make pesto most summers--and sometimes store basil ground up in olive oil in small zip lock bags in the freezer for winter.
I made pesto from purple basil one year, my mother in law at the time gave me a garbage bag of it. When it was ground up in the food processor, it turned a bright nice shade of green. I wouldn't have thought that would happen.
I've used all kinds of basil for pesto, I've never had a batch I didn't like.
(I've used olive oil and vegetable oil, pine nuts and walnuts, parmesan and romano, garlic and more garlic......depends what is in the house.)

I choose freezing. Even if pesto isn't your thing, you can just puree it with olive or other oil and freeze. It's my choice with almost all herbs. It is interesting that some herbs gain flavor with drying, and some lose it entirely. Basil is in the latter category, as is cilantro.

I don't know if I should start a separate line for this, but last year I did something I will again this year. I grew lime basil (but I think most basil will fill the bill), then pureed it in the food processor with garlic, peanuts, peanut oil (needless to say, you need to be careful of who you serve this to), some lime juice, cilantro, mint, and hot peppers from the garden. This made a great addition to any southeast Asian dish, but especially good when added to a can of coconut milk, some chicken stock, a bit of poached chicken or steamed shrimp, and poured in a large bowl over a scoop of rice or a handful of cooked rice noodles.

Back
Top Bottom