"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Herbs and Spices

Old 10-20-2013, 03:51 PM   #11
Executive Chef

I have seen many recipes using sage in tomato sauce. I, personally, prefer either thyme, oregano, basil....I tried it a few times and feel that it does work, but I always go back to the other three. It wasn't like it was a total mismatch. It's just a matter of preference, I guess.

Old 10-21-2013, 02:34 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_stewart View Post
Ill have to check the show, i dont specifically remember who it was. I was just surprised, cause i never put the two ( sage / Italian) together in my mind, let alone my plate. I have a friend ( Italian) who recently started gardening. He was telling me what he was cooking, and mentioned he added sage to his recipes. Honestly, knowing he is a beginner gardener and cook, i figured he was just mixing up sage and basil, so I let it slide. But now Im curious.
We use the sage a lot, as someone said, even if not in tomato sauce. Sage is really good in the saltimbocca. It's good with the butter to season gnocchi, casoncelli and other filled pastas. It's good alone, fried and eaten like an appetizer. It's good to make some spirit.
You should trust a little more your italian friend.

Old 10-23-2013, 07:25 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

I have a container of 'Italian Seasoning'. It contains, Marjoram, Thyme, Rosemary, Sage, Oregano, and Basil in that order. I am surprised that Oregano and Basil are listed as last. The one seasoning that I don't care for is the Rosemary. It has always tasted like a pine tree to me. But there is enough of the others to offset it.

I use it in everything. Including potato salad.

Tags
food, italian, sage