"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Herbs and Spices

Old 08-05-2013, 04:22 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I've never had it, sounds nice. Maybe some grilled or roasted vegetables, a nice piece of beef, rice?

Old 08-05-2013, 04:28 PM   #2
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I've never had it, sounds nice. Maybe some grilled or roasted vegetables, a nice piece of beef, rice?

Get some. $15 for 3.5 ounces on amazon. I've used it a lot over the past half year and it's still almost half full.

Old 08-05-2013, 08:20 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I don't eat a lot of salt. Is there a good truffle oil? Where's the best place to get some. How do you use it?

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 08:31 PM   #4
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
I don't eat a lot of salt. Is there a good truffle oil? Where's the best place to get some. How do you use it?

If you really don't want salt, I'd get truffle butter. "truffle" oil is one chemical mixed with olive oil. It shouldn't cost much if at all more than olive oil but it's way overpriced in reality. And it just doesn't match the flavor of real truffle products.

That, or you can always get a few ounces of truffle and use shavings on your food.

I'd try it first on something that doesn't have a lot of flavor itself. Herbs and spices just ruin it sometimes. So far I've mostly used it on my morning hash browns and like I said pasta + butter.
Old 08-05-2013, 08:33 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Thanks for your reply, Napthalene. Is it real butter? I'm trying to cut down on animal fat>

Old 08-05-2013, 08:42 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
Thanks for your reply, Napthalene. Is it real butter? I'm trying to cut down on animal fat>
Unless you just get plain truffle and use it as I suggested up there, the only multi use products that I would ever put on my food would be truffle salt and truffle butter. Truffle butter is real butter.

That said, if you can find truffle oil cheap, it's not a terrible thing. It just doesn't have the depth of flavor that real truffle products do.

Lol oops I just reported my own post. Sorry mods.
Old 08-05-2013, 09:02 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I figured truffle butter was with real butter, but you use very little, if I'm correct, so I don't think it would very harmful.

Other members have mentioned that it's really good in eggs.

Old 08-05-2013, 09:06 PM   #8
Master Chef

I use truffle salt mostly on eggs and salad.
Old 08-05-2013, 09:44 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

I'm always a bit wary of using truffle salt because I like to have lots and lots and lots of truffle flavour, and if I use truffle salt exclusively for adding the truffle flavour, it becomes too easy for me to oversalt my food.

I agree about the truffle oil not being a good way to get the true truffle flavour.

I find it can be logistically difficult to use fresh truffles because fresh truffles don't keep very well. Even if you vacuum pack them fresh and put them into the fridge, you must use them within 1 week. If you buy them already vacuum packed, you cannot smell them nor will you know how long they have already been in that vacuum pack for. Truffles don't freeze well by themselves, as when you defrost them, they turn to mush and become rather useless. So, if you were planning a meal on a certain day when you will be serving truffles, then it would require some forward planning so that you can time your truffle buying at just the right time. And there are no guarantees that on the day you go to buy your fresh truffles, that your supplier actually has any in stock.

This is why I find truffle butter to be my favourite way of using truffles. It is so easy to make your own truffle butter from fresh truffles. It is just a compound butter just like parsley butter. Just finely chop the fresh truffles and mix it through the slightly softened butter. I like to use unsalted butter so that I can adjust the salt content of the food just right. Then you can divide them into blocks of the size that suits you and put them into the freezer for months and months on end, ready for use whenever you feel the inspiration to add truffles!

An easy way to eat truffles for the first time, to see if it is a flavour that you like and to come to understand what it tastes like so you know how to use it in your own future cooking, is to just cook some spaghetti in salted water, drain the spaghetti and place the hot spaghetti onto a piece of truffle butter to melt it (without heating the truffle butter too much so that the butter separates).

Enjoy!
Old 08-05-2013, 10:30 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Is truffle butter available easily online? Who has the best price?, reliable?

Tags
None