YOUR Top 5 Spices?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
one thing that has me somewhat confused about this interesting exercise is whether we are focusing strictly on those herbs and spices we most commonly use--the ones it would be most difficult to cook or eat without?
or, as some respondents seem to be interpreting--which herbs and spices are we most partial to? some of our 'favorites' are not used anywhere nearly as often as those we reach for, and add to our foods as a habit-- daily, and without fanfare.

are you allowing herbs de province? isn't that a bit like sneaking in 6-8 of your favorite herbs, and getting to count them as just one?

This is actually going to be the basis for an upcoming blog, on which spices are grabbed the most...

Pacanis is like me - it's which ones I'm *always* filling!!;)

Salt & Pepper are #1 but since you asked that they be excluded here's my list.

Cumin.
Oregano.
Garlic.
Cayanne pepper.
and
Bacon. ;)

Hey it's a spice to me because it goes with so much.

But if ya want something else I'd have to say
Mustard or Thyme.

:ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL:

True! Bacon is a seasoning in itself! LOL :pig:

I had to come back and add 5 I prefer to use fresh whenever possible. I might use some of these more so than the 5 listed before. I didn't include black pepper or salt. I think these should be givens.

Ginger
Parsley
Garlic
Basil
Rosemary

Jkath, I see only one person mentioned my favorite herb,spice whatever but Majoram is it I use it in stuffed onions and zucchini, even in small bell peppers the red ones emm. but Garlic, onion, powders are here too. along with the dredded cumin, Herbs de Provence, and rosemary. There are more but 5 is the quota:LOL: Thanks good thread!
kades

Thanks Kades! :D
I like marjoram too! But you're right - limiting is tough... but that's how I can find out what the real go-to-jarred-herbs/spices are :)

Once I've written that particular blog, I'll post it, if the mods are okay with that ;)

My interpretation of the question is which spices/herbs do we use most often, not which are our favorites. The two might not be the same. For example, I love cardamom pods, but I don't use them very often or in anything other than Indian cooking.

I'm also really surprised by the number of people who mention onion or garlic powder. I own a jar of garlic powder, but it's probably been in my cupboard for 5 years and only gets used if I'm making a dry rub. I usually can't find it because it's in the back behind everything else.

I guess this would be my list:

1. Thyme
  2. Basil
  3. Oregano
  4. Spanish Paprika
  5. Cumin seed
I adore cardamom. I use it in Indian and in some Scandinavian dishes. It's used both in savoury and sweet cooking in Scandinavia. The pork roast with dried fruit that I made for the Solstice party had 1 tsp of cardamom. That's a lot of little pods to open and grind. ;)

I also adore the smell of freshly ground coriander seeds, but don't find a lot of use for them.

Salt & Pepper are #1 but since you asked that they be excluded here's my list.

Cumin.
Oregano.
Garlic.
Cayanne pepper.
and
Bacon. ;)

Hey it's a spice to me because it goes with so much.

But if ya want something else I'd have to say
Mustard or Thyme.
You're right. Bacon is a great seasoning.

I forgot all about mustard. I use Dijon every time I make a vinaigrette.

I adore cardamom. I use it in Indian and in some Scandinavian dishes. It's used both in savoury and sweet cooking in Scandinavia. The pork roast with dried fruit that I made for the Solstice party had 1 tsp of cardamom. That's a lot of little pods to open and grind. ;)

I also adore the smell of freshly ground coriander seeds, but don't find a lot of use for them.

ooooh - cardamom cookies! YUM

I tend to prefer fresh, so will exclude those since I don't use them dried. Given the number of spices and herbs I have, this is tough. I also switch in the warmer months and rarely use any jarred spices or herbs then, rather use what is in the herb garden. I will go with the ones I replace most often, in the order they are replaced.

My friend's homemade curry powder (contains all kinds of things--about 10-12 herbs and spices in all--it is so good, I go through about 5 or 6 250 ml jars/year--excellent on popcorn with a bit of melted coconut oil; love it on steamed green beans tossed with a bit of EVOO and with some diced fresh hot red pepper...)

Chilpolte chili powder
smoked hot paprika
celery seed
cardamon

I prefer fresh over jarred. There was a time, way back when, I had a huge custom-made spice rack/cabinet. The herbs/spices dried up, & some were rarely used. I now have exactly 6.

Italian Seasoning
Parsley
Basil
Paprika
Lemon Pepper
&
Fleur de sel

I tend to prefer fresh, so will exclude those since I don't use them dried. Given the number of spices and herbs I have, this is tough. I also switch in the warmer months and rarely use any jarred spices or herbs then, rather use what is in the herb garden. I will go with the ones I replace most often, in the order they are replaced.

My friend's homemade curry powder (contains all kinds of things--about 10-12 herbs and spices in all--it is so good, I go through about 5 or 6 250 ml jars/year--excellent on popcorn with a bit of melted coconut oil; love it on steamed green beans tossed with a bit of EVOO and with some diced fresh hot red pepper...)

Chilpolte chili powder
smoked hot paprika
celery seed
cardamon

Can't believe I forgot my beloved celery seed ! I eat it but my family doesn't. I even make a tea with celery seed and lemon :yum:

Can't believe I forgot my beloved celery seed ! I eat it but my family doesn't. I even make a tea with celery seed and lemon :yum:
It was a toss up between dill seed and celery seed. I picked celery seed because I use more fresh dill than dill seed. And, I had a hard time leaving fennel seeds off the list, but I use more cardamon than fennel. I suspect that one's culinary background plays a role in these choices. Like TL, I am from a Scandinavian background, so cardamon had to be on the list (and probably why I use so much dill!), but the others definitely are from my travels and from exposure.

It was a toss up between dill seed and celery seed. I picked celery seed because I use more fresh dill than dill seed. And, I had a hard time leaving fennel seeds off the list, but I use more cardamon than fennel. I suspect that one's culinary background plays a role in these choices. Like TL, I am from a Scandinavian background, so cardamon had to be on the list (and probably why I use so much dill!), but the others definitely are from my travels and from exposure.

I started using celery seed medicinally and fell in love with the taste. I love dill seed too but my family don't so I use it for my own food.
I grew up with Indian and Cape Malay foods so I use lots of spice.
Celery seed, dill, fennel seed, aniseed, nigella, mustard seed etc.
I also love the candy coated fennel seeds they serve at Indian restaurants after meals :yum:

I started using celery seed medicinally and fell in love with the taste. I love dill seed too but my family don't so I use it for my own food.
I grew up with Indian and Cape Malay foods so I use lots of spice.
Celery seed, dill, fennel seed, aniseed, nigella, mustard seed etc.
I also love the candy coated fennel seeds they serve at Indian restaurants after meals :yum:
My mother always used a lot of celery seed and celery salt. I'm guessing that's why I grab the celery seed when I'm making pasta for salads, etc.

Thanks so far!

Yes, Craig, I'm going for dried spices... and yes, Kayelle - only those you tend to reach for the most :)

I really appreciate all of your input - hoping for a lot more answers!

according to the op, this thread is about dried spices. she is asking for the five dried herbs and spices that each of us uses most frequently. simple as that.:)

Last edited:
Thyme
Fennel
Cumin
Nutmeg
Hot pepper flakes

I like lotsa other stuff too! Hard to narrow it down.

Back
Top Bottom